The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
This post introduces another of the cards concepts you will get to choose from for the Will of the Collective II process. Feel free to use this thread to discuss the pros and cons of this concept (and only this concept), pitch ideas, and so forth. Make sure to keep an open mind, and look at each concept in turn - give them all a fair shake!

As I mentioned in the original post for this process, the card concept is just a single, simple, statement of what the card should do. No reference to story, specific mechanics, or anything along those lines. Not even a reference to card type.

Today's concept was selected by Mike "The Girard" Girard, who has served as a creative consultant on all of the virtual expansions to date:

Concept #3
A player level card that affects specific card types in an opponent's hand (like an Ostracize).
Leave it to The Girard to pick the concept that requires me to write a dissertation for it. ;-) First, let me start by defining a "player level card." In The Girard's own words: "The Dreamer and the Dream is an excellent example of a Player Level card. This card doesn't affect the current state of the game board, but does affect the opponent directly."

In other words, it does something to YOU, and not to something YOU CONTROL. Interesting, no?

Now, you might also be wondering what "an Ostracize" is. Well, it's a Magic: The Gathering card. Basically, it reveals an opponent's hand and allows you to choose to discard a creature from that hand. (A creature is one of the card types in MtG.)

So... a lot to process. What do you think? Potential? Or no?

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I think there are already some romulan cards that cover a lot of that territory.

I'm not sure why the description isn't just a card that lets you choose and discard a card from opponents hand.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Foreman wrote:I think there are already some romulan cards that cover a lot of that territory.
Agreed, we already have a good amount of cards like this- not just for Romulans, but also the Earth mutants, Swashbuckler at Heart, Miss Sarda, and perhaps more.

Still, if somebody proposes a novel concept, this could still be something fun. Just to toss something out there, how about:

Event
Decay: 3
At the start of each of your turns, randomly select a card from the opponent on your left's hand. If that card is an interrupt, place the top card of your deck on this event. For each card on this event, you may spend an additional counter each turn.

Or maybe with a different payoff, like make each of your ships attributes +1. Just a thought.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Because taking something from someone's hand isn't the only type of player level card. There are a lot of things in this area. Be creative. Wrap your brain around the ideas involved, see what squeezes out.

-crp

By whampiri
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
however agreed. this concept has been well and truly covered by the romulan fse/discard engine.i fail to see any benefit from this concept(btw ostracize was one of my fav black cards from mtg) but i think its covered at this stage
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
1E American National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
This could be in the same vein as dreamer or possibly an event but how about a card that prevents your opponent from playing a card type of your choice for their next turn? If it's an event, I would expect a few requirements of course (would severely cripple in early game) and could only be used once per turn but it was just a thought.

Michael

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
How about something like this:

Event - Cost ?
Choose an opponent and a non-ship card type. That opponent removes each card in his or her hand of that type from the game. At the start of your next turn, that opponent takes those cards back into his or her hand.

Hmmm.... looks like a Maquis card to me, to be honest.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
How about something like this

Randomly select a personnel. Unless you discard cards from the top of your deck = that personnel's cost, you may spend X fewer counters where X=that personnel's cost.

OR

Randomly select a personnel. Choose one: You may spend that personnel's cost fewer counters next turn, or your opponent may spend that personnel's cost more counters on their next turn.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
[Int] Ostracize
When you play this interrupt, say "Who's your daddy" to score 5 points. Unless your opponents chooses to say "You are, you are my daddy", he or she loses 5 points.

or slightly more seriously...

[Int] Ostracize
To play this interrupt, you must have 5 or more points.
Order - Choose an opponent, that opponent may choose one: to miss their next Play/Draw Phase or to miss their next Order Phase. Lose 5 points.

(opponent gets to choose, and these phases tend to have different value depending where you are in the game i.e. early on I might choose to skip the order phase or later on in the game i might skip the 7 counters) cost is negotible perhaps even being the loss of your own next Play/Draw Phase or Order phase
Last edited by Thanatos_elNyx on Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
[Evt] Cost 0

Title: Roschambaeu

To play this event, you must command 3 treachery personnel. Plays in your core.

Order - Destroy this event and remove a card in your hand from the game. Randomly select a card from an opponent's hand to remove from the game. If they are the same card type, randomly select another card from the opponent's hand to remove from the game. Remove this event from the game.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Thanatos_elNyx wrote:[Int] Ostracize
To play this interrupt, you must have 5 or more points.
Order - Choose an opponent, that opponent may choose one: to miss their next Play/Draw Phase or to miss their next Order Phase. Lose 5 points.
I like this idea. How about this variant:

[Int] Ostracize
You may not play this card if you have executed any Orders this turn.
Order - Choose one: each player skips their next Play/Draw phase; or each player skips their next Execute Orders phase.

So you can deprive each player of one of the two phases, but only at the cost of an extra skipped Execute Orders phase for you (this turn's).

By Girard
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I think that players may be focusing on the discard element to much, lemme give a couple other examples -

Interrupting a card
Discarding cards from the top of an opponent's deck
Removing cards from an opponent's discard pile
Manipulating the opponent's hand/deck/dilemma pile

Even something as wacky as both players removing all cards in hand, deck, in play and in discard pile from the game. Then both players shuffle all cards removed from game into their owner's deck.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]