The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!

Which concept should be developed into the next WotC card?

Concept #1: Missions Galore!
4%
Concept #2: By Any Other Name...
4%
Concept #3: An Ostracize of Our Own
4%
Concept #4: Iconic
6%
Concept #5: The First Lady
39%
Concept #6: Temporal Babies
1%
Concept #7: The "B" Side
40%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
WotC II - Decision #1: The Chosen One
"Card design is a dish best served cold." - Klingon Proverb (Paraphrased)

The time has come to return to the realm of design and development and take the fateful first steps into decision making. Yes, my friends, the Wrath of the Collective has begun, and it is time to make the decision that will shape all of the decisions to come.

As mentioned in the original pitch article, we set this year's process up differently than last year's. Feedback indicated that people wanted to have some starting points provided for them, so that is what was done this year. We gave you seven (7) different card concepts to digest:

Something that opens up mission selection more - attempt missions without your affiliation's icon.
Read the discussion so far...

A main character not playing that character

A player level card that affects specific card types in an opponent's hand (like an Ostracize).

Something that affects icons on an opponent's personnel

A tribute card in honor of Majel Barett Roddenberry

A personnel from "Children of Time"

An alternative strategy to Jake Sisko (Reporter Behind the Lines) for a Terok Nor deck.

Now, the choice is yours! You are voting for the card concept that will become the basis for this process - the fundamental spark that will shape the card you will create. The poll above allows you to choose the concept you wish to further explore. You can change your vote as you wish, but the poll will close next Friday, February 20th, 2009. Once the poll closes, the process will continue and your card will begin to take shape!

Questions, comments, or concerns? Please express them here! Otherwise, enjoy the experience reviewing the concepts and making your choice. We look forward to the process and the discussions.

-crp

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Corwinamber wrote:I voted for #5 and the version I would like to see is Number One.
Yeah we should do this. This is the best idea ever. :twocents:

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
bhosp wrote:
Corwinamber wrote:I voted for #5 and the version I would like to see is Number One.
Yeah we should do this. This is the best idea ever. :twocents:
Don't get me wrong - she was a great presence and influence on Trek - but, from a gameplay point of view (bearing in mind, we are talking about a card for a cardgame), isn't having her as this personnel a little limiting: unless she's heavily overpowered (to the point of Fan Boy powerplay), she won't see too much play, and if she does, she's still limited to [TOS] decks (which is just one of six sub-affiliations in a game with 10 affiliations). Wouldn't it make more sense to have her as a playable event or interrupt, something which is accessible to all players across all decks?

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
As stated in another thread, I'm not a fan of tribute cards. The problem I see (which is already evident in the concept thread) is that people want to create a card that simply is a decent translation of one of her characters on screen into a STCCG card, regardless of whether such a card is actually needed in the game environment, or would fill a gap. Does such a card really add anything useful to the game?

In my opinion, a much better way would be to start with a gameplay concept first, and then find a theme to go with it afterwards. We might always end up with something that would lend itself brilliantly to one of the characters portrayed by MJ, but to me, the whole ok-she-just-died-let's-do-a-tribute-card-to-honour-her approach is the least appealing.
 -  
Prophet
As an interesting piece of design philosophy, the MBR concept (should it win), would be an example of "top down" design - starting with the story, and building the card from it.

What we did last time with All-Consuming Evil is an example of "bottom up" design, where the mechanics are all in place before story is touched.

There are strengths and weaknesses to both approaches.

-crp

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I also voted for choice 5, Number One. While there has been much discussion as too what the card should do, there are still good ideas out there. Besides, another TOS personnel is always welcome.

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I mentioned in the original thread that as we have yet to see any [TOS] personnel from "The Cage" in Second Edition, this would be a chance for players and the Design Team to create a little gameplay niche within the [TOS] faction.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
While I do enjoy the idea of a tribute card, I believe we'd have a greater impact on the game with the Missions Galore card.

By wweist
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Something that opens up mission selection more - attempt missions without your affiliation's icon.
Pro: This idea could provide a whole new deck design
Con: This idea has great potential of being too powerful
A main character not playing that character
Pro: I could finally get Anastasia Komananov in 2e.
Con: I could finally get Anastasia Komananov in 2e.
A player level card that affects specific card types in an opponent's hand (like an Ostracize).
Pro: There are many possibilities for this kind of "tampering" card
Con: The are too many possibilities for us to agree with any kind of majority consent.
Something that affects icons on an opponent's personnel
Pro: This idea has the right tamber for this kind of exercise
Con: I would want a card that can affect icons on any target(s).
A tribute card in honor of Majel Barett Roddenberry
Pro: It is a nice gesture for one so deserving
Con: I do not se a lot of development paths for this card
A personnel from "Children of Time"
Pro: We might be able to develop a new mechanic with this card
Con: Again, the development paths for this card are very limited
An alternative strategy to Jake Sisko (Reporter Behind the Lines) for a Terok Nor deck.
Pro: This could develop a new Cardassian/Dominion deck strategy
Con: I see too much overlap of existing cards (unless "bindering" Reclaim Terok Nor is part of the plan)

So, my vote is for #4 (Field Promotion/Demotion anyone? Boxing Day, STCCG style?)

EDIT: Ok, I switched to The "B" Side. As far as Card Development goes, this one will be more fun. I would like to see a "Number One" issued this year, I just don't want to WotC it.
Last edited by wweist on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I chose Ostracize because its the most interesting and least fanboyish. But I guess I'm in the minority.
 -  
Prophet
Just under three (3) days left to vote, folks. Only ten (10) votes separates the 1st and 2nd place choices. Go out and get your friends to vote for your favorite! Spread the word about this fun, exciting process!

Be part of the future of your game!

-crp

By Old Kor
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I voted for #5! I like gestures. The game is doing fine and I see no use in argueing with 'driving on concept or strategy'. Boys and girls - we think about ONE SINGLE CARD - and this should be a tribute :thumbsup:

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]