The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!

Which concept should be developed into the next WotC card?

Concept #1A: The First Lady
42%
Concept #1B: The "B" Side
58%
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
WotC II - Decision #2: The Chosen One (Redux)
"He who walks in the middle of the road gets hit from both sides." - George P. Shultz

As they said about the best laid plans...

In spite of all of our preparation and hard work for this year's WoTC, we neglected to clarify our policy on the run-off votes that came up several times last year. It's an unfortunate oversight, but an understandable one, given how much planning and effort has to go into a massive undertaking like this one.

As you've probably deduced from the title of this Decision Step, we're going to have a run-off vote between the top two options from Decision #1. However, for reasons that will be made clear in a moment, this will be the only run-off vote we'll have during the remainder of the process.

The truth is, we feel that we've made a lot of positive changes to the process, and one of those was in how we're conducting the polls this year. Each poll we put up for WoTC II will be one that allows each voter to change his or her vote up until the deadline of the poll. This allows you to change your vote in light of a persuasive argument, or if you decide to "jump ship" from your first choice to a different choice.

Since you can change your vote at any time up until the end of the poll, there shouldn't be any need to have a run-off. The problem in this case was that we didn't explain this idea up front; and, since we had run-off votes last year, many people expected them again.

Therefore, for this instance (and this instance only) we'll have a run-off vote between the top two concepts: The First Lady vs. The "B" Side. For your reference, those concepts are:

Concept #1A: The First Lady
A tribute card in honor of Majel Barett Roddenberry
Read the discussion so far...

Concept #1B: The "B" Side
An alternative strategy to Jake Sisko (Reporter Behind the Lines) for a Terok Nor deck.
Read the discussion so far...

This vote will determine which card will be developed into the WoTC II card in 2009. This vote will be final, no matter the margin of victory. In the case of a tie (and only in the case of a tie), the design team will be asked to choose the winner. (This method will be used throughout the process, in the rare and unlikely case of a tie vote.)

The poll above allows you to choose (again) the concept you wish to further explore. You can change your vote as you wish, but the poll will close next Friday, March 6th, 2009. Once the poll closes, the process will continue and your card will begin to take shape!

Questions, comments, or concerns? Please express them here! Otherwise, enjoy the experience reviewing the concepts (again) and making your choice. We look forward to the process and the discussions.

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

By charlie
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think that going with Jake will open the discussion more than a card for Majel. Her card would probably be more straight forward and less for us as a group to work together to complete.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
I also think that the B side card has more options for a group effort, I actauly really like the idea of having a tribute card for Majel, but I think the continuing commitee would do a great job of this on their own. Especially when it could work in a cycle of cards involving Pike etc.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I am going with the first lady. Majel played many roles in various Star Trek series, so there are more options to work with. Since the workings of a Terok Nor deck are limited to just a fey pure strategies, few players will be able to use him in a deck. Also, since the interaction of a Terok Nor deck revolves around discarding, it will be hard to come up with a Jake that is more worthy of play than the existing one. He is what makes a TN discard deck work. If he is just a different discard that will be boring. If he does something else, there will be few cards to support his effect.

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
If the will of the collective ends up coming up with something interesting for the B side, then its very likely that it will end up getting help from the designers in the same set or the very next one. So in essence, the B side strategy opens up the door for the Collective to have a directing hand in the future of an entire HQ.

That's a lot more exciting to me than just sitting around watching the group spank out a fanboy tribute card.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hoss-Drone wrote:If the will of the collective ends up coming up with something interesting for the B side, then its very likely that it will end up getting help from the designers in the same set or the very next one. So in essence, the B side strategy opens up the door for the Collective to have a directing hand in the future of an entire HQ.

That's a lot more exciting to me than just sitting around watching the group spank out a fanboy tribute card.
Technically, that could happen with certain MBR cards too. For example, if a card of Number One was created, it might inspire the design team to make other personnel from "The Cage" as well.

Just for completeness.

-crp

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I gotta go with the B Side since its for sure going to involve more input from the collective :borg: as for the tribute card, rather simple make a equipment call it the computer give it random effect make a random peep use appropriate picture and call it a tribute card. B Side rocks

By Corwinamber (Francis Koziolek)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
The only thing I dislike about the "B" side is that it is for Terok Nor, which I do not play so I would have no reason to want this card.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
I didn't really care one way or the other since either way, I end up interested by the result. I picked the b side simply because of the curiosity of the mechanic potential aspect possibilities than majel does.

Plus, she could always end up as a tournament foil.....

Michael,
Speaker of randomness, master of none

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]