The second Will of the Collective led to a unique equipment, designed entirely by the community!
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
WotC II - Decision #3: Simple, In Theory
"There is one possibility, but I cannot guarantee its success. We could attempt to find some humpback whales."
"You just said there aren't any, except on Earth of the past."
"Yes Doctor, that's exactly what I said."
"Well, in that case... Now wait just a damn minute!"
- Spock & McCoy

The people have spoken (twice, actually), and the concept for this year's WoTC card has been selected:

Concept #7: The "B" Side
An alternative strategy to Jake Sisko (Reporter Behind the Lines) for a Terok Nor deck.

So, it looks like we'll be spending a lot of time with the [TN] icon over the next few weeks. We thought it might be helpful to go over some of the flavor, rules, and regulations of this particular sub-affiliation before we get too deep into the mechanical workings of the card.

First of all, cards with the [TN] icon are restricted to storyline from the six-episode arc that introduced season six of Deep Space Nine (and the very tail end of the 5th season finale, "Call to Arms." Specifically, the episodes "A Time to Stand," "Rocks and Shoals," "Sons and Daughters," "Behind the Lines," "Favor the Bold," and "Sacrifice of Angels." Even more specifically, only story from the scenes aboard the station in those episodes is eligible for [TN] icon love. Please note that this does not include any story from the occupation-era, when the station was called Terok Nor but was in orbit of Bajor. Remember that the name of the headquarters is Mouth of the Wormhole (Terok Nor), and you'll remember what storyline you can draw from.

But, while this is useful information to get you in the right mood, we won't be worrying about story just yet. As the [TN] sub-affiliation stands right now, they really only have two defining characteristics: the access to a lot of different affiliations; and, the Dissident discard mechanic. As it stands, Mouth of the Wormhole (Terok Nor) can natively report personnel and ships from six affiliations: [Baj], [Car], [Dom], [Fed], [Fer], and [NA].

Dissident discard came into its own as a strategy when Jake Sisko (Reporter Behind the Lines) was released in Necessary Evil. He is a great example of the type of card we're ultimately going to produce in this WoTC: a single card that enables or defines and entire strategy.

Other than multiculturalism and the Dissident discard deck, there isn't much affiliation or mechanical definition for the [TN] sub-affiliation. That means that there is a lot of potential to explore as we progress into this next step, in which we must refine the broad concept into something much more specific.

In this step, we invite all of you to submit your ideas for a specific card concept, which is a refinement of the broad concept selected above. As long as your idea falls within the concept selected, then it's valid and we encourage you to submit your ideas!

So, are you ready to pitch your ideas? Here's the procedure for this year's submissions:

1. Submissions are due on or before MIDNIGHT (server time, GMT-5) on Wednesday, 18 March 2009.

2. Submissions must be sent via email to cplaine AT gmail DOT com (obviously, you'll have to replace the AT and the DOT with the correct symbols.)

3. Please, please, please make the subject of your email WoTC2 Submission, or you run the risk of your submissions being missed.

4. Emails should just contain your concept, your real name, and your message board handle.

5. Each participant can submit any number of concepts, but each submission must be in a separate email. Please try and be reasonable with your submissions - it's better to send in two well-thought ideas than fifteen thrown together ideas.

6. Submissions should not include card types, specific gametext, or any elements of storyline. These are just concepts!

7. In the event that multiple people submit the same (or very similar) concepts, only the individual that first submitted the idea will get credit.

Once we receive all the submissions, the design team will select a small sample of them for you to choose from via a community vote. (Give us some time, as this likely to take awhile.) Sound good?

If you have any questions, please post them here. Otherwise, we look forward to reading your ideas and moving forward.

Questions, comments, or concerns? Please express them here! We look forward to the process and the discussions.

-crp

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Can we post the ideas we submit on this thread, so that other's can know that the idea has already been submitted?
It might make others get ideas too.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Foreman wrote:Can we post the ideas we submit on this thread, so that other's can know that the idea has already been submitted?
It might make others get ideas too.
You can, if you like.
Foreman wrote:So have you received many entries yet?
No, which is surprising. A lot of people out there - go ahead and submit your ideas! There's no harm in it!

-crp

By Altoid
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
An event that plays in the core that lets a player, instead of having to discard a card when playing a dissident, they can eventually put that card on the bottom of their deck instead

Decay: 6. (When there are six cards on this event, destroy it.) Plays in your core. When you are about to discard a card from hand, place that card on this event. When this event is destroyed, place all cards on this event beneath owner's deck.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Am I the only one having a tough time with coming up with just concepts, rather than specifics? I only ask as the above post (created in the style how I would have gone about it) mentions a card type and specific gametext, both which go against point number 7 on the list.

Would it be possible to submit ideas in this format and then have them reverse engineered for the next step?

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:Am I the only one having a tough time with coming up with just concepts, rather than specifics? I only ask as the above post (created in the style how I would have gone about it) mentions a card type and specific gametext, both which go against point number 7 on the list.

Would it be possible to submit ideas in this format and then have them reverse engineered for the next step?
I think that it is probably OK to include an example in your idea to help explain it. But I am guessing what charlie wants is something that can be easily voted on.

For example here is the jist of my two e-mails. (From memory so maybe not exactly).

E-mail #1
Concept: A card that gives a bonus for "Controlling the station"
This could be done by giving bonuses for having personnel/staffed ships at mouth of the wormhole.

E-mail #2
Concept: A card that gives bonuses for playing with multiple affiliations.
This could be a personnel/ship that is attibutes +1 for each different affiliation present, or an event that lets you draw a card for each personnel of a different affiliation you command.

I added a little bit of justification in the e-mail why I thought these were good concepts. (Mostly that they could be used for either [DS9] or [TN].)

I think some concepts are definatly biased towards being a certain card type, bue it is pretty easy to just take out the card type and replace it with the words a card.

For example
An event that plays in the core that lets a player, instead of having to discard a card when playing a dissident, they can eventually put that card on the bottom of their deck instead
Could be changed to
A card that lets a player put discarded cards on the bottom of his or her deck when playing dissidents.

It gives the concept, but still allows us to vote on what card type we want it to be.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Altoid wrote:An event that plays in the core that lets a player, instead of having to discard a card when playing a dissident, they can eventually put that card on the bottom of their deck instead

Decay: 6. (When there are six cards on this event, destroy it.) Plays in your core. When you are about to discard a card from hand, place that card on this event. When this event is destroyed, place all cards on this event beneath owner's deck.
What about
"When you play a dissident personnel each player may take a card from his or her discard pile and place it on the bottom of owners draw deck."

I think something to keep in mind with this concept is that not all dissidents discard a card when they are played.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Concept:
A card (I was thinking of a certain Ferengi) that alters the gametext of "Jake Sisko, Reporter behind the Lines" in a way similar to the following examples:

Example a) The player commanding Jake may discard 3 cards to make the opponent discard 2 cards.

Example b) The player commanding Jake may discard 4 cards to make the opponent remove 2 cards from the game.

et cetera ...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I submitted one that probably wont be that popular, but I wanted to throw something out there- rewards for getting personnel/dissidents into your opponent's brig. This could introduce a new dynamic to the brig. (For example, When you begin a mission attempt, if this personnel is in your opponent's brig, your opponent may draw one less dilemma and spend one less in dilemma counters.)

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Escape Artist wrote:I submitted one that probably wont be that popular, but I wanted to throw something out there- rewards for getting personnel/dissidents into your opponent's brig. This could introduce a new dynamic to the brig. (For example, When you begin a mission attempt, if this personnel is in your opponent's brig, your opponent may draw one less dilemma and spend one less in dilemma counters.)
That sounds interesting. It propbably wouldn't have been possible before, but now with teh existence of leverage it certainly could be done.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
conviently enough there's already counter tech for it, at least with the primary captive taking affiliation, in Corbin entek and many interrupts
Second Edition Design Manager
By The Guardian (Richard New)
 - Second Edition Design Manager
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Escape Artist wrote:I submitted one that probably wont be that popular, but I wanted to throw something out there- rewards for getting personnel/dissidents into your opponent's brig. This could introduce a new dynamic to the brig. (For example, When you begin a mission attempt, if this personnel is in your opponent's brig, your opponent may draw one less dilemma and spend one less in dilemma counters.)
I hope it is popular. I like off-the-wall ideas.

By Mogh
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I'm all for another "brig abuse" idea akin to Leverage, which I think moves the game into a great, uncharted place.

For the record, I couldn't muster the energy to put forth any good ideas. I might have had one or two nuggets, but they didn't mature enough in my brain.

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]