- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Newbie here again.

So I’ve been reading the rule book for 1E (several times over) and 2E, and while I was super excited how 1E worked, as well as the Power Point slides that were shared, it really really helped, all the cards and techniques required. But it was A LOT of cards.

Then I read the rule book to 2E, and it was way easier. And more to the number of cards in a deck I was used to ( I used to play Babylon 5). So 2E looks like the way to go for me...for now.

So I’ve looked at the video tutorials for Lackey, and have gotten confused. I need to watch them again, but I spent sometime walking myself through the screens and I get some of them, but still need to watch again.

So my questions are:

1 - is Skype used with Lackey?
2 - after reading your post, are you suggesting to use Discord instead of Skype? And is it similar to Skye, or better?
3 - I read your post to say that when I join Discord, I join the League. But I’m nowhere near to play in a League or tournaments. Can you explain please.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions.

But I don’t want to join and waste anyone’s time as I’m still learning, or is that’s what Dicord and the League do, help poor souls like myself?

I think I want to do this, but if you help my understanding of what to log into, what to join, how it all works. Sorry I really want to play, just need a little hand holding.

Thanks!

Subcommander Mario [SF]
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Hey Subcommander Mario (such a cool handle)!

I'm glad you found the game for you but also, don't forget about Tribbles. Tribbles is a lot of fun. The Dojo just sponsored it's first Tribbles tournament just a few hours ago in fact.

I agree with you that 2e is definitely more new player friendly as it were.

- Lackey and Skype are two separate programs. Historically, the two have been used at the same time to play games online. Lackey provides for you a virtual tabletop and cards. Skype gives you the voice chatting ability.

- I do promote the use of our Discord channel both for staying informed about The Online League, The Dojo sponsored events, and just generally chatting with other players. The Discord channel does have a voice element to it that can be used in place of Skype. I guess you can label the Discord channel as your one stop shop regarding most of the things I do with the online community.

PFTI explained the concept to commdecker pretty well earlier tonight. If he by chance reads this, maybe he can chime in and give a brief, and as usual, well articulated run down of the Discord channel and what it brings to the online community.

- The Discord channel and The Online League are two separate entities. The Discord channel is where all players from all of my events past, present and future meetup to socialize outside of the CC message boards. Joining the Discord channel doesn't mean you're joining The Online League though I'll bet you'll be sucked into it right away by people offering you games.

Hey keep them coming man. I really want to get every single player involved in online play on some level so whatever I can do to get closer to that goal is fine by me.

I think you're perfect for The Online League dude - and this is what it's really for. To play this game in both casual and competitive settings while having fun and not worrying about losing. I mean look at what happened today with the 'new to online play, but familiar with 1e', player DMour. He's just like you a couple of messages up in this thread. "Hey I'm new to Lackey but have an idea about 1e - what can I do?". Well we got him signed up for the Discord channel and in 5 minutes after saying hello, he had two or three guys offering to show him Lackey and run through 1e with some standard intro starter decks. A couple hours later, he already has played his first game and is now making his way in The Online League.

That's why I'm suggesting it to you. It might be quicker to just jump in and play a game or two instead of trying to commit to memory rules and cards, etc. And don't worry - we have people just like you who are starting out. If it makes you feel more comfortable, I'm sure we can find a few of those players to show you the ropes.

So in summary - join the Discord channel. Introduce yourself there and make friends. Introduce yourself here and make some friends. In the Discord channel ask if someone can show you Lackey and 2e with a quick pick up game. Let me know when this happens. You'll be entered into The Online League and you'll be on your way. Once you complete your first game, just keep going and complete a second game and then a third, have fun and play Trek!

TK
Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
re discord v skype

So discord is functionally a chat management app
it lets you be on multiple servers (so there is both a CC one and a Dojo one) and those serves can have both text chat threads (as many as needed) and spaces for audio conversation.

It also has limited app integration (not that relivant for CC but why it is popular with a range of other gamers)

It also has a great moble app so you can keep up on the go.

You dont need it to play (skype and lackey have you covered) but some like how it consolidates communication channels

- Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Hi TK:

Ok, you’ve convinced me, I’ll join! BUT will have to be later next week as I’m a tax accountant and have to put my time in for tax season :(

Which is why my post have been later in the the evening.

I’ll keep you updated and let you know when I’m in, my first couple and how I did.

Thanks for making me feel welcomed!!
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Subcommander Mario wrote:Hi TK:

Ok, you’ve convinced me, I’ll join! BUT will have to be later next week as I’m a tax accountant and have to put my time in for tax season :(

Thanks for making me feel welcomed!!
Sounds good to me! We'll be waiting for you.

TK
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Everyone, please welcome Subcommander Mario to The Online League!

TK
Last edited by bosskamiura on Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
Everyone, please welcome bigm264 to The Online League!

Also, please welcome back Prince Detenebres to The Online League!

TK

I guess we should have done "What can we do[…]

Jared FW Kris 100-35

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]