For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
I’d prefer to keep it as standard constructed rules, where you don’t change between rounds. I feel like if we change between rounds you don’t get a true picture of this experiment.

I can also see the other side of the argument that if you built something that doesn’t work, you should be able to make changes so you don’t have three more rounds of not fun.
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:I’d prefer to keep it as standard constructed rules, where you don’t change between rounds. I feel like if we change between rounds you don’t get a true picture of this experiment.
I wonder how you can get a true picture of the experiment if the initial premises (the decks we built) are flawed, though. I thought the goal of this experiment was to test the boundaries of the format, not specifically the deckbuilding prowess of the participants.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Minor tweaks I guess are OK. My originally planned deck has been ready for a couple weeks, the deck I will be playing was ready at least 5 days before the event (a completely different affiliation). I am still awaiting my opponent to finish their deck which they started building after the event started. Not trying to call them out, but with a build time of only 2-3 days I expect they will wish they had the option to make adjustments, so I am trying to be open-minded.
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
I'd say locking people into poorly-built decks or decks with flaws kind of sets the experiment up for failure.
I don't think you should be able to change your entire deck, but swapping a few cards around should be allowed, as long as you aren't changing from Borg to Federation, for example. :)

By the way, due to scheduling and time differences, etc. my first match will not happen until Friday evening. My apologies for the delay, that's the first time we could find that worked for both of us.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
JasonRed3 wrote:By the way, due to scheduling and time differences, etc. my first match will not happen until Friday evening. My apologies for the delay, that's the first time we could find that worked for both of us.
That's okay, thanks for letting me know.

-crp

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
Spectre9 and I would also request an extension to Friday, if that is ok?
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E Omarion Nebula Regional Champion 2024
Knowing the deck building error Russ is referring to, I would allow him to make that change. It won’t lower anyone’s level of enjoyment, but would boost his.
 -  
Prophet
I have made a decision about allowing small deck changes between rounds. This will be allowed, provided three rules:

a) You can not change the nature of your deck. No switching from Borg to Klingon, or going from a Treaty deck to a single affiliation deck.
b) You must document all changes, either with detailed notes or with a different deck list for each round.
c) You may only change up to five (5) cards each round total, not counting illegal cards.

Also, a secret, unofficial and hopefully not needing to be said fourth rule:

d) Don't change your deck based on what you know or think your next opponent is playing.

I realize this is unconventional, but this is an unconventional tournament and the point is to generate data. Most of you have indicated you are in favor of this change, and it's optional - if you're happy with your deck, you don't need to change it.

We have two games that are being played today, so expect the 2nd round pairings tomorrow.

-crp
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Thanks for the allowance and clarification on this.

It turned out that I wanted to swap 6 cards, so I ended up making an interesting choice about which one to drop! Seemed fair.
 -  
Prophet
Welcome to Round 2 of 4 in this TNG Public Playtest Tournament. I hope that you enjoyed your first round games. As a reminder, for this tournament only, you are allowed to make minor modifications to your deck between rounds. Please let me know if you have any questions.

We still have one game outstanding from the previous round:
Niall Matthew (sexecutioner) vs Joe Kallstrom (Commander Joe)
These two will have until the end of this week to either drop, or to complete this game and their round 2 games, or they will be dropped from the tournament. (That sounded vaguely threatening, but it's not meant to be - I just want everyone on the same page.)

Here are your Round 2 pairings:
Sebastian Kirstein (Caretaker's Guest) VS Paddy Tye (KazonPADD)

Stephen P. (Spectre9) VS James Heaney (BCSWowbagger)

geraldkw (geraldkw) VS Jason Robinette (JasonRed3)

RJ Smith (Russ) VS Mathew McCalpin (Professor Scott)

Maggie Geppert (jadziadax8) VS Niall Matthew (sexecutioner)

Brian S (JeBuS) VS Joe Kallstrom (Commander Joe)
I would appreciate it if all games could be completed on or before Friday, June 19. However, if something comes up, please don't hesitate to contact me.

That's it - let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to seeing your results!

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
First Edition Balance Manager
By JasonRed3 (Jason Robinette)
 - First Edition Balance Manager
 -  
While we were both hungry for the win, we had to both settle for a tie. :)

True Tie: JasonRed3 65/65 geraldkw

Truly a fun game, a gracious and delightful opponent, and a stressful end!

Thank you, Joseph!
Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Congrats to Mugato for going 4-0 in the tournament[…]

Jared Hoffman FW Mathew McCalpin 100-12

Card of the Day: Dumb Waiter

Does Dumb Waiter still work if you don't comma[…]

I just booked my flight for Thursday afternoon arr[…]