For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hey all!

The Return to Farpoint Series had a planned hiatus for August to leave room for Worlds and perhaps Chair's Challenge events, but since that all got broomed, I reached out to Kris and I will be running an ACADEMY Constructed event instead.

For those of you not familiar, Academy consists of C,S, and V rarities ONLY, plus all missions. (And just to be clear, VP Rarity is NOT allowed)

While this event is NOT part of the RTFP series, it IS part of the Subspace Series and is eligible for prizes accordingly!

Kickoff is next Friday (7/31) so it's not too late to sign up!

And don't worry, the Return to Farpoint series will resume in September with a Reflections 2.0 Sealed event! Start planning for that one as well!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The Ninja Scot wrote:BTW, are we going to allow At What Cost legal in this format as it is a V card thanks to ID Remastered? - https://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?mod ... ardID=3937

Just thought I'd ask,
Michael
So I have two thoughts on this:

1.) The "Letter of the Law" allows for V rarity cards, and as such AWC would be legal. That's the simple answer.

2.) The "Spirit of the Law" says that Rare and Uncommon cards are excluded to give players simpler options while remaining competitive.

Since I'm not playing in this event due to other engagements on the 1E side next month, I could go either way. So I guess I'll put it to the people with the most at stake: the players signed up for this event.

Post "Yes" or :thumbsup: if you think AWC should be legal for this event or "No" or :thumbsdown: if you think it shouldn't. I'll go with Majority rule from registered players, and will break a tie if needed.

Since we're kicking off in 8 days I'll give it through Sunday night then make a final determination based on the responses received at that point.

Is that fair enough?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Hearing no comments pro or con, I've decided that At What Cost?, being a virtual card with V rarity in set 37, WILL be legal for this event.

I guess we'll see how that goes. Personally, I can't say I'm a fan of the decision to make a V-rarity version, but that ship has long sailed, so it is what it is.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
We're 48 hours from kickoff and we currently have 3 players registered.

Is anyone else feeling the need to go back to school in August? This may be as close as you get with all of the crazy in the world right now!

It's not too late! Get registered today!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
We ended up with 4 player for this gig, so we'll go Round-Robin style!

Officially here's the pairings:

Round 1:

Game 1: Michael Van Breemen (The Ninja Scot) vs. Michael Shea (The Prefect) - Mike and Mike in the Morning!

Game 2: Maggie Geppert (Jadziadax8) vs. Tjark Ott (tjark) - Grudge Match! :P

Round 2:

Game 3: Michael Van Breemen (The Ninja Scot) vs. Tjark Ott (tjark)

Game 4: Michael Shea (The Prefect) vs. Maggie Geppert (Jadziadax8)

Round 3:

Game 5: Michael Van Breemen (The Ninja Scot) vs. Maggie Geppert (Jadziadax8)

Game 6: Michael Shea (The Prefect) vs. Tjark Ott (tjark)

I'll fill in the blanks once the results start coming in.

Feel free to schedule and play your games in any order, at your convenience, but I ask that you try to have all of your games in by Saturday, August 22nd.

Good luck everybody, and most importantly, have fun! :cheersL:
Last edited by Armus on Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
2E Sector 001 Regional Champion 2023
This is my first academy format event. So, I opened up the deck builder to create an academy deck I have a premium membership) and selected the academy filter from the deck type and I am still getting all of the rarities returned (R, U, C, S, V, and VP). Can we be certain this filter is working?
Last edited by The Prefect on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The Prefect wrote:This is my first academy format event. So, I opened up the deck builder to create an academy deck I have a premium membership) and selected the academy filter from the deck type and I am still getting all of the rarities returned (R, U, C, S, V, and VP). Can we be certain this filter is working?
Sounds like it isnt.

Paging Eberlems... Eberlems to the white courtesy phone please...

In the meantime, try filtering the card info field on "contains" [C,S,V] and just ignore any VPs that pop up. That's my best suggestion as a non-programmer.

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
2E Sector 001 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote:
The Prefect wrote:This is my first academy format event. So, I opened up the deck builder to create an academy deck I have a premium membership) and selected the academy filter from the deck type and I am still getting all of the rarities returned (R, U, C, S, V, and VP). Can we be certain this filter is working?
Sounds like it isnt.

In the meantime, try filtering the card info field on "contains" [C,S,V] and just ignore any VPs that pop up. That's my best suggestion as a non-programmer.
Also, forgive my ignorance but can we use VP of V cards? For example, Kivas Alpha, Research Binary Star is a V card but it also has a VP version. In a case like this, is either one legal, or only the V version?

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The Prefect wrote:
Armus wrote:
Sounds like it isnt.

Also, forgive my ignorance but can we use VP of V cards? For example, Kivas Alpha, Research Binary Star is a V card but it also has a VP version. In a case like this, is either one legal, or only the V version?
Short answer is yes. It's always been the case that any version of a legal card is legal.

What you CAN'T use is all of the VP cards that DON'T have a V-rarity counterparts, so be careful that whatever VP you're putting in your deck actually does have a C,S, or V version.

Let me know if you need any other assistance! :cheersL:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Sadly, this means we can't use folks like Mona Luvsitt. It also means we can't use Surprise Party, but I'm OK with that one. :D
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]