For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
With Nationals and (not a) Worlds soon to be in the rearview mirror, the 2020 Return to Farpoint Series returns in September. This month we're firing up a format that has stuck with me ever since I played it 16 years ago: Reflections 2.0 Sealed Deck - with Starter Draft! Also, as with all RTFP events, this tournament is also Subspace Series prize-eligible

Released in late 2004, Reflections 2.0 added 61 new cards to the STCCG universe and also made available in foil reprint form many previously hard-to-acquire rare cards from previous expansions, most notably Necessary Evil.

Story Time: Back then, Ohio was in the Veridian III region, and every year at Christmastime we had a 1-2 day gathering called Veridi-Mini-Con (VMC). VMC 2004 was a daylong event run by one Charlie Plaine (midnightlich) that included a WARS (remember that game?) Draft, a 2E Constructed, and the day was capped off with this Reflections event. It was a lot of fun and something that I've been looking to replicate for quite awhile, but lack of available product was an almost insurmountable barrier... until now.

Thanks to some great programming by resident Lackey Guru Markus Eberlein (eberlems), we now have at least a version 1.0 of a Reflections 2.0 Pack Generator in Lackey. While it's not a perfect replication of Ref 2.0 packs, it's reasonably close, and it's definitely playable. So we're going to play it!

Here's how it will work: Friday, September 4th, 2020 is kickoff day for this event. On that day, I will send each registered player a card pool consisting of 4 Reflections 2.0 packs (72 cards). Players will have a chance to review their pulls, then PM me which of the 6 Preconstructed Starter Decks ( [TNG] , [DS9] , [Kli] , [Rom] , [Bor] , [Dom] ) they would like to add to their pool. I will then generate the starter selected (including 3 random rares from Premiere or Call to Arms depending on which starter is chosen), add it to the card pool and send it back. That will give each player 135 total cards to build a deck. To allow time for cardpool generation and deckbuilding, the first round will run two weeks, with subsequent rounds each running the standard one week.

I would strongly encourage everyone to play in this thing... it's sealed deck, so the brokenness should be fairly minimal (I mean, if somebody pulls off a Vintner deck, good on them!) but the card pool is diverse enough to make for an interesting deckbuilding and playing challenge.

Again, we kick off next Friday (September 4th), so get yourself registered!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Marquetry wrote:OK... the lure of sealed and "opening" packs has drawn me in :)
Just to be clear, you get a Lackey file with 72 cards, so if "opening packs" = "clicking the mouse a couple of times" then sure. :wink:

Not trying to dissuade you, just keeping it real.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
BionicMan05 wrote:Sign me up!
You can sign yourself up! Just click the link at the top of the thread to get to the tournament page, and then click the pre-register link and you're in!

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Greetings All!

Wow, talk about turnout! We ended up with 12 for this event, so we're going to do FOUR rounds. At this point I have distributed everyone's preliminary card pool. Once you've had a chance to look it over, let me know which starter deck you want and I'll get it turned around ASAP (And I REALLY hope your pulls were better than mine... talk about Rough! :x )

Here are your round 1 pairings:

Stephen Hensel (BionicMan05) vs. Eric Robinett (Rycar60)

Markus Eberlein (eberlems) vs. Brian Sykes (Armus)

Maggie Geppert (JadziaDax8) vs. Chris Morse (Trekker777)

Ted Reebel (Treebel) vs. Michael Van Breemen (The Ninja Scot)

Amber Van Breemen (Marquetry) vs. Kris Sonsteby (LORE)

Michael Shea (The Prefect) vs. Jon Fry (First Maje)

Please try to have your decks built and first games played no later than Saturday September 19. If everyone finishes early, I'll start the next round early.

Good luck everyone, and most importantly, have fun! :cheersL:
Last edited by Armus on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:Just a heads up, my card pool had 2 illegal cards in it - both copies of the dilemma Intimidation. Anyone else get V cards in their pools? Brian, how do you want me to proceed?
That doesn't sound right....

Is your plug in up to date?

I'll go back and double check your card pool

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Armus wrote:
LORE wrote:Just a heads up, my card pool had 2 illegal cards in it - both copies of the dilemma Intimidation. Anyone else get V cards in their pools? Brian, how do you want me to proceed?
That doesn't sound right....

Is your plug in up to date?

I'll go back and double check your card pool
Nope I'm wrong... Intimidation is erroneously coded as "S" rarity instead of "V" rarity so it's getting picked up by the pack generator.

Go ahead and swap in any 2 "S" rarity dilemmas (your choice!) and we'll call it even.

That goes for anyone else who gets an Intimidation as well... that card is NOT LEGAL in this format... just consider it a "Wild Card" for a choice S rarity dilemma.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation