For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 am Just to confirm how the starter draft works, we get to pick one of the 4 choices.

Does that mean in theory that all 4 in the pod could choose the same starter OR do we tell you our pick and you some how determine which we get?

When this started I had assumed you were randomly assigning the deck, then we would draft the boosters, but now that we are drafting boosters first, I need to know if I am able to guarantee a certain deck or not.

I don't want to waste a first round pick on a card I can guarantee to get later by choosing a certain deck.
Yeah you do your draft, look at the 36 cards you drafted, and THEN pick a starter.

So you are correct that if there's a certain starter you have in mind, you don't need to draft a card if it's in that starter.

Dan, @OKCoyote please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
SudenKapala wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:45 am 1) What is the idea with pods? (Do they dictate a sort of sub-tourney for 4 people?)
In some formats (mainly 2E Infinite Diversity), there is an optional opportunity to use separate sets of headquarters, drawing from different cardpools, so you may get a different experience based on what pod you're in. That won't happen here, but that's usually a reason for a smaller pod.

In general, a smaller draft pod makes passing packs simpler as it's a little easier to track what happened if there's an error in passing the packs.

However, here's the reason I prefer: In a Magic: the Gathering draft, a pod of eight players drafts packs of 15 cards. That means that you'll see most of the packs twice, and if you make a choice knowing there's something else in the pack you wanted, there's a chance it'll still be there when the pack comes back to you. Since our virtual packs only have nine cards, you need a smaller pod in order to have the chance to see the packs a second time.
(2) If we could freely choose any starter (or is that wishful thinking? 8) ), then what's the benefit of pods, here? (Other than the obvious "rigging" that was already pointed out! :lol: )
You may freely choose any of the four starters from Emissary block once the draft is complete. (Once again, those are: Cardassian, Federation/Bajoran, Maquis, and Dominion.) Benefit of pods is answered above.
(3) Why use email, I mean, what's the added functionality over PM, that I'm missing?
It's generally easier to send attached files over email than it is by PM.
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:51 am
Professor Scott wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:59 am Just to confirm how the starter draft works, we get to pick one of the 4 choices.

Does that mean in theory that all 4 in the pod could choose the same starter OR do we tell you our pick and you some how determine which we get?

When this started I had assumed you were randomly assigning the deck, then we would draft the boosters, but now that we are drafting boosters first, I need to know if I am able to guarantee a certain deck or not.

I don't want to waste a first round pick on a card I can guarantee to get later by choosing a certain deck.
Yeah you do your draft, look at the 36 cards you drafted, and THEN pick a starter.

So you are correct that if there's a certain starter you have in mind, you don't need to draft a card if it's in that starter.

Dan, @OKCoyote please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding.
All correct. If you have a starter in mind, you don't need to draft a card knowing it's in the starter. Unless you want to! Extra copies of universal personnel can be helpful, and you may want that extra copy of a unique personnel in case the first one is killed by a dilemma.

And yes, it's possible all players in a pod will choose the same starter, but it's unlikely. You may want to play Cardassians (using an example only), but find that someone else in the pod has been taking them all and you're left with all Dominion personnel, in which case you may want to change your choice. Also, you might open up a really cool card that isn't in the starter, such as a play engine, that forces you to reconsider a starter you weren't planning on.
 -  
In case you missed the email:

Players in Pod Alpha (Liam, Dante, Suden, and Matthew):

The draft stalled just a couple of passes into the first pack. It's hit a snag nobody seems to be able to fix.

I am restarting the draft for Pod Alpha. Throw out all picks you've made so far. I am sending replacement packs shortly.

EDIT: Replacement packs are sent.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
OKCoyote wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:07 am In case you missed the email
I think a lot of email was missed. I got hardly any replies to my analyses of what went wrong. And half of the mails ended up in my spam. (please press 'this is not spam' if this happens! :cross: ) This being my first experience with an online draft, I'd immediately say that local PMs might be better than mail...

Also, it's a shame that we couldn't re-run the exact same packs int he same manner as last time. This means I have to research all the cards again, compare them against the decks, and devise new strat. Will take additional time. :(

(Coyote, can you tell me what the idea is behind not sending out the same packs and asking to pick the same cards? I thought there would not be any drawback to it, perhaps I'm wrong? I like to understand.)
 -  
Checking in with Pod Alpha again since I still haven't heard from anyone. Just want to confirm that the draft is moving again, and moving correctly.

Pod Gamma just finished their first pack; I'll be sending their second pack shortly.
 -  
I am canceling this event.

The headaches involved with trying to keep this particular event moving have increased my stress level like nothing else. I shouldn't be having panic attacks over a Star Trek game (that's what work is for). And I don't want to toss any blame or point any fingers; I probably should have done a better job at communication or reconsidered the format of the event. Lessons learned.

I have to step away for my own mental health. I apologize to all those involved.

By Professor Scott (Mathew McCalpin)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Trailblazer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
So sorry to hear, but I totally understand. I hope my efforts to untangle our pod's snafus will at least hep you with the lesson's learned. Drafts by email are really hard, and without participants that thoroughly understand and are committed to the process, the effort to direct such an event are Herculean at best, nigh on impossible at worst.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
OKCoyote wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:01 pm I am canceling this event...
Thanks for trying to run a fun event. Running game events can turn sour easily even if everyone has the best of intentions and efforts, and when it's actively unfun for anyone involved including the organizer, it can be for everyone's benefit to admit that it's not working and let it go.

Thanks for your efforts. Hope to get to play some Trek with you soon.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]