For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 220 posts

Should We Have a Fifth Round?

Yes
40%
No
40%
No opinion
20%
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
grandar wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:09 pm
jadziadax8 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:52 am How are we on scheduling @grandnagusmorn, @sexecutioner, @Spock with a Goatee and @geraldkw?
Spock and I are playing our game tonight.
Excellent!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:43 am
Armus wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:15 am TFW you can't see the Lackey "table" because there's cards everywhere. :P
Screenshot? (Or savegame?) After event, of course.
Why yes, yes there is!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
So, all the Round 2 games have been played. We've still got one outstanding game from Round 1, but I'm going to go forward with Round 3 pairings.

Both Ensign Q and Spectre9 have dropped from the event, which has affected pairings a bit.
  1. We are down to 14 players, which means we will likely have a clear winner after Round 4. Therefore, we will not play a 5th round.
  • If I pair Ensign Q and issue his automatic game loss, there will be an odd number of players this round and a Bye. This would essentially mean that two players would sit out this round. I decided it was better to give Ensign Q the missed game, and pair everyone for games.
So, here we go (after double-checking that no one is paired a second time.)

Sebastian Kirstein (@Caretaker's Guest) vs. Michael Van Breemen (@The Ninja Scot) FW 100-75
Brian Sykes (@Armus) vs. Christian (@Mr.Sloan) FW 100-42
Rogue Shindler (@SirRogue) vs. Stephen R Sanders (@Spock with a Goatee) FW 100-80
Paddy Tye (@KazonPADD) vs. Maggie Geppert (@jadziadax8) FW 100-0
Mathew McCalpin (@Professor Scott) vs. Matthew Zinno (@commdecker) FW 100-0
Niall Matthew (@sexecutioner) vs. Tim Gerrard (@grandar) FW 100-40
Joseph Wisniewski (@geraldkw) vs. Suden Käpälä (@SudenKapala) MW 65-35

Please try to have all games completed by Sunday, April 25th. I would like to having the final pairings done by next Monday.
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Mr.Sloan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:58 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:43 am Therefore, we will not play a 5th round.
:( To bad. I like this tournament games. :)
Me too. I'd like to ask @jadziadax8 to reconsider, if somehow feasible. :cross:
(And/Or, pls let me know why this is technically or organizationally a bad idea, so I can learn from that.)
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
SudenKapala wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:35 pm
Mr.Sloan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:58 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:43 am Therefore, we will not play a 5th round.
:( To bad. I like this tournament games. :)
Me too. I'd like to ask @jadziadax8 to reconsider, if somehow feasible. :cross:
(And/Or, pls let me know why this is technically or organizationally a bad idea, so I can learn from that.)
The reason why we drop to 4 rounds is there will likely be a clear winner after that round. Weird things happen when you go over the minimum number of rounds.

Now, that being said; if I get the majority of you saying you want the 5th round, I'm inclined to follow the dictum of "let the players play."
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
jadziadax8 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:22 pmNow, that being said; if I get the majority of you saying you want the 5th round, I'm inclined to follow the dictum of "let the players play."
If this were a high-level gig, I would caution against it because as Maggie says it is kind of a no-no to go past the number of rounds needed for a winner "for funzies." This is typically crappy for the leader at that point, as they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing that extra / unnecessary round. BUT, in a local where ya'll are just slugging it out with new cards, I would say a 5th round is a-ok if it is what the participants want.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Then I say, you know my vote; but better let the leader have the last say in this.

(If they were me, I'd desperately want to win the tourney -- without extra risk -- since that is... well... not a common occurance! :lol: If they were at rating 1800, perhaps they could think differently.)
:twocents:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]