For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 220 posts

Should We Have a Fifth Round?

Yes
40%
No
40%
No opinion
20%
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Now that Niall and I have both played our final games, I have made the video of our match available to the public. If you want to know what his Supernova reference is about, scroll to the end of the match.

I can also share the screenshot of me and Brian's bonkers game.
Bonkers Game.GIF
Bonkers Game.GIF (573.44 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
We're waiting on two more games to close out this event, but I will preemptively thank you all for participating!
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:42 pm Imagine if Maggie didn't stack her table cards in nice neat little piles...
I admit I'm a little particular about that.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
Mr.Sloan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:08 am Summary: Devil was not realy used, but could have.
Places 1-3 used not a single card from DoW, if i am correct?

1 Week to build a *good* deck is simply not enought time. I still vote for 4 weeks for cards becoming legal/release tournaments being held.
I did have a deck that was Dogs of War-centric, I just wanted to get my play x10 with Kazon (thus my badge for playing x10) achievement. Just like my Dojo deck I'm playing against you today is for specific achievements. Achievements are how I determine what I'm going to play next and some matter to me more than others.

:twocents:

Michael,
who's curious whether or not it'll force a fifth row of forum badges available to display

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Mr.Sloan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:08 am Summary: Devil was not realy used, but could have.
Places 1-3 used not a single card from DoW, if i am correct?

1 Week to build a *good* deck is simply not enought time. I still vote for 4 weeks for cards becoming legal/release tournaments being held.
As a point of fact, I think the achievement system IS set up for a 4-week/30-day "release window" for the release event achievements.

As for the top 3 decks not using any new cards for the release event... all I'll say is players are going to play what they play for their own reasons. That's just life.

If in the future, people want to make release events by *requiring* new cards to be played, then that's an option, and players can decide for themselves whether or not those restrictions are worth playing under or not (the Neutral Zone release event that @JeBuS ran last year is a good example of this approach, as is the one day gig he ran yesterday).

My takeaway from this experience is that there's no such thing as an online "friendly local" and if you want a chance to actually win the event, you better be bringing a tier one deck every time. Try new things at your own risk.
I love online play. It is my chance to play without a local group left.

I do not understand why especially some of the high-rated players always complain about online play. Just play. When you win, you win, when you lose you lose.

Take MVB. He never complains, plays online and is still top notch. When you fear about precious rating then just do not play. I for my part enjoy this game too much to sit on a rating.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Caretaker's Guest wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:51 am I love online play. It is my chance to play without a local group left.

I do not understand why especially some of the high-rated player always complain about online play. Just play. When you win, you win, when you lose you lose.

Take MVB. He never complains, plays online and is still top notch. When you fear about precious rating then just do not play. I for my part enjoy this game too much to sit on a rating.
Did you bring your worlds deck to every local back when you had a local group? I'm guessing not, but maybe I'm wrong.

I know I didn't. Even when I was a World level player, not every local tournament was cutthroat, Hardcore deck time. Higher level events? Sure, bring the noise. Even week- before big event locals was prep time so it was a bit of an exception.

Personally, I have high gears and low gears that generally correlate between L1 and L4 events. I know that's a me thing, and it's unfair expect others to do the same thing, but L1 me is kind of sad that there's no L1 events to bring experimental or "fun" decks.

And really, zooming out to the larger picture, if online play is the only game in town, and every event is a de facto L4 event, then people are either going to not play at all (because they don't want to deal with the sharks) or only bring a limited subset of decks (the subset that can plausibly compete with the sharks). I'm not sure either of those is good for the long term health of the game...

PS: I can't speak for others, but while ratings aren't irrelevant to me, they also aren't a primary concern.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]