Online OP Coordinator
By pfti (Jon Carter)
 - Online OP Coordinator
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Howdy all, as we approach regionals season. Some reminders of the etiquette for online play.

1) Save often.
2) Only use audio unless the other person is okay with video in the chat (to save on bandwidth)
3) Do not spectate games without asking (it is the same as not scouting at in-person tournaments.)
4) contact opponents early to allow for maximum opportunities for scheduling.

Feel free to add to this list
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Don't scroll up in the chat log to view the personnel the opponent played (this is tantamount to cheating.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:12 pm Don't scroll up in the chat log to view the personnel the opponent played (this is tantamount to cheating.)
While I generally agree, the flip side of this is don't put your people into a hidden zone before your opponent has had a chance to examine them. That's also a violation of the agreed-upon rules.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Mr.Sloan wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:47 am
pfti wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:29 pm

1) Save often.
Guess turning the turn to opponent does this? guess i need to remind mysleve more often about it, usually forget about the saves and turn-giving.
I have found that advancing the turn doesn't always do this, so I try to remember to save after each of my turns.

By geraldkw
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:04 pm
LORE wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:12 pm Don't scroll up in the chat log to view the personnel the opponent played (this is tantamount to cheating.)
While I generally agree, the flip side of this is don't put your people into a hidden zone before your opponent has had a chance to examine them. That's also a violation of the agreed-upon rules.
Suden and I had a discussion about this the other day because I didn't realize this was frowned upon/illegal. Not that I am constantly scrolling back in the logs but I have on occasion, and generally one like Armus is describing, looked back to see what was just played or to answer some question we have about a previous turn.

On a conceptual level I guess this means that the game is to some extent a memory game, which is fine.

Also on a conceptual level, this is unenforceable and requires a "Gentleperson's Agreement" to be effective due to how Lackey works.

Since I'm here, the general functions of Lackey as far as reporting and moving personnel around is not what we really want. That said I would rather have a way to play the games online vs not.

Is anyone from the CC looking into a long term solution besides Lackey?

Star Wars CCG has an online play platform that admittedly doesn't support every single card in that game and never will, but it even manages rules enforcement. I don't think total rules enforcement would ever happen for Star Trek (at least 1e which is the only edition I am talking about at this point), but partial rules enforcement and better control of play and moving personnel would be a real benefit towards a more competitive online environment.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
geraldkw wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:52 pm
Armus wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:04 pm
Suden and I had a discussion about this ...
On a conceptual level I guess this means that the game is to some extent a memory game, which is fine ...
That said I would rather have a way to play the games online vs not ...
Many great things said by multiple people. :thumbsup: I had thought of bringing up the log, as well.

Actually I come at this from 2 different angles.

1) I like the fact that the log can equal the ground a bit, concerning Trek being a 'memory game'.

2) I do often have questions about whether I or opponent, e.g., actually drew a card. Looking back helps keep the players honest and the game correct/clean. I appreciate these aspects.

3) Looking back into which dilemmas were encountered (which our talk was about) is "less-according-to-official-rules", but I think I'd rather have the log for the above purposes, than not have it.

Angle 1 & 2 far outweigh angle 3, for me.
Is anyone from the CC looking into a long term solution besides Lackey?
This is of course a pertinent(?) question.

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the f[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]