For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

• 113 posts
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hello folks!

The wall is coming down... the Klingon Empire has half a century of life left... and the Federation is extending an olive branch. It's time to replay and explore the central conflict of The Undiscovered Country with this special, one-of-a-kind release event for Second Star to the Right. EVERY game is going to be a battle between [Fed] and [Kli] - which means you'll need to bring 2 different decks!

First of all, go here to pre-register. The event will be kicking off on Monday, January 3rd, 2022 to give you extra time to built both of the decks you'll need. And here is how the event will work:

(If you've played Decipher's Star Wars CCG, this will be familiar.)

1. Each player brings 2 decks: a [Fed] deck and a [Kli] deck.

2. In Round 1, players are paired randomly against each other. Player #1 will play [Fed] and player #2 will play [Kli].

3. In Round 2, instead of randomly pairing players, the Highest Scoring [Fed] player will play against the Highest Scoring [Kli] player. #2 [Fed] will play #2 [Kli], etc, all the way down.

4, Repeat step 2 for round 3, and repeat step 4 for round 4.

5. Unlike in a normal tournament, players might end up playing each other twice - but only in the opposite deck configuration. So, for example, if Steve plays [Kli] against Charlie's [Fed] deck in round 1, they could only play again if Steve was [Fed] and Charlie was [Kli].

Other than that, this will be a normal online tournament. Pairings will go up each Monday, you'll have a week to arrange your game and play, etc. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Additional deck construction rules:

1. Your [Fed] deck must contain ONLY [Fed] cards. No [NA] cards. no dual affiliation cards, no treaties. You're restricted to Federation ONLY.

2. Your [Kli] deck must contain ONLY [Kli] cards. No [NA] cards, no dual affiliation cards, no treaties. You're restricted to Klingon ONLY.

3. Each deck must contain at least one of the following: Office of the President, The Great Hall, and/or Camp Khitomer.

4. At least 50% of the personnel and ships in your deck must be [CF] . More is okay, but not less.

One last thing: there is a question on if this event should be rated and count for achievements, or not. It's a bit non-standard, so I'm leaning towards having it be an unrated, maximum fun event. Especially since there is no way to attach two decks to the event, so even if it did qualify for achievements, it would only be for one of your decks. But I want to know what you think, especially if it will affect your participation. Sound off - rated, or unrated?

What do you say? Are you in? Join this wild ride and fight for honor, peace, or chaos!

-crp
Last edited by MidnightLich on Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
I'm intrigued. I can run a regular release event for all the achievement hunters, if there's enough desire for something rated.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I'd rather cash achievements for one deck than no deck, and I'm ok with it being rated.

However, if it's unrated I'll probably still play... gives me a chance to play in the new sandbox without the stress of getting curbstomped by the people who know all the ins and outs of these cards already.
 -  
Prophet
geraldkw wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:10 pm
MidnightLich wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:17 pm 4. Each deck must include no less than 50% [CF] personnel and ships.
Does this mean that of your total personnel and ships 50% must be [CF] OR of all the cards in your draw deck 50% must be [CF] personnel and ships?
The former. Out of all your personnel/ships, half must be [CF].

You can run 25 [CF] people and 1,500 copies of Parallax Arguers if you want.

-crp

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Man... upon first look, I'm thinking this gig is gonna be advantage: [Kli]. I aready have most of my [Kli] deck mapped out, while my [Fed] deck hasn't even gotten on the drawing board...

The lack of an option for a treaty deck is a bit disappointing, but I guess the premise is that we're gonna let the "bad guys" win, which is an interesting twist at least.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Armus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:40 pm Man... upon first look, I'm thinking this gig is gonna be advantage: [Kli]. I aready have most of my [Kli] deck mapped out, while my [Fed] deck hasn't even gotten on the drawing board...

The lack of an option for a treaty deck is a bit disappointing, but I guess the premise is that we're gonna let the "bad guys" win, which is an interesting twist at least.
Challenge accepted! :wink:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
sexecutioner wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:15 pm
Armus wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:40 pm Man... upon first look, I'm thinking this gig is gonna be advantage: [Kli]. I aready have most of my [Kli] deck mapped out, while my [Fed] deck hasn't even gotten on the drawing board...

Challenge accepted! :wink:
I can see you, Niall... can you see me? :wink:
 -  
Prophet

My idea was to replicate the central conflict: Fed vs. Klingon, us vs. them, Dark Side vs. Light Side. We can run a more traditional event in February that allows for more deck options.

-crp
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
You know, it'd be kinda funny (at least to me) if someone played a Sybok deck for both parts (just one with more Feds and one with more Klingons)

Michael,
random thought

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
The Ninja Scot wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:31 pm You know, it'd be kinda funny (at least to me) if someone played a Sybok deck for both parts (just one with more Feds and one with more Klingons)

Michael,
random thought
Well since you're not allowed to use [NA] cards, that would be quite a trick! :wink:
First Edition Creative Manager
By KazonPADD (Paddy Tye)
 - First Edition Creative Manager
 -  
1E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
eberlems wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:12 am Usually on the date the set is legal, but this time that is a holiday here, so we'll see.
Otherwise the .dek decks will break and I have to do the work twice.
Unless there are any online tournaments starting in the next week, why not just set it to legal now? Then people can at least get started with deck building!
MN 2024 Gatherings

So, are we go or no go for these gigs? I am fine e[…]

Come play tonight! https://www.trekcc.org/tournam[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more […]

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]