Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
1E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Some 1E Gameplay discussions lately have given me an idea for a tournament with special rules to curtail the "memory game" aspect.

• All dilemmas are seeded face-down, but remain face-up once revealed and can be viewed at all times by any player.
• All decks are face-up and can be viewed at all times by any player. (You reshuffle after downloads, as normal.)
• Crews and away-teams are face-up and can be viewed at all times by any player. (Except, of course, during random selection.)

Can you think of any additional rules?
Would anyone have any interest if I ran such an event?

I can think of some interesting things like probing and whatnot that could get a bit of flavor here with such rules. I bet we'd see some different dilemmas being used.

What do you all think? Yay or nay?

If a few people (besides myself) are interested, I'll get it added in the system.
Last edited by JeBuS on Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
European OP Coordinator
 - European OP Coordinator
 -  
Sorry, but I'll have to go with nay.

The main reason is the part with the dilemmas. This is the main goal of the game, to explore the unexplored dangers of a mission, always with the risk to be killed or blown away.

You have to think, what might your opponent seeds there, after facing the first dilemma - what could come next and so on. If you know if from the beginning, it would be the same if you just add the dilemmas to the mission requirements.

Of course, some dilemmas might become more powerful with that, but to know exactly what to expect is absolutely boring IMO...
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
That is definitely a possibility. I wonder about the tactical possibilities that may result from it, though.

Edit:
And now that you mention it, it's also entirely possible that the rule could be that once it's revealed, the dilemma remains face-up. Dunno, just spitballing.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
One of my favorite things to happen in a game back in the day was when my opponent would play Scan (or Full Planet Scan), look at my combo, and go "Oh... shit..."

Priceless.

I don't have a dog in this fight, and probably won't play, and maybe the game is too different today, but there's something to be said for a dilemma combo that messes with you even when you see it coming. All that to say: you could do face up combos and it wouldn't necessarily make the game un-fun.

This whole thing is an interesting idea.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Due to the game preps, and Life, I forgot to answer this. I might be interested. I certainly like the philosophy behind this.
I must ask beforehand, though: will this be a rated event? I can image it won't be -- and that would be a shame!

OTOH, I can imagine it being rated after all, since the scenario is perhaps a bit different, but it is very honestly (perhaps even more honestly) changed in the same manner for both players.

Reason I ask, I have to divide time (don't we all) across multiple activities, and I've made a strict habbit of only attending sanctioned tournaments -- because I am an obsessed Ach-hunter, so I'll want to rake in some achievements with each tourney I invest time in.
But I really do like the premise of this.

What I don't personally like, is seeding the dilemmas face-up. I very often use non-meta dilemmas; and my combos are always... well, peculiar, if not very powerful. (As you were able to see for yourself today, Jebus. :mrgreen: )

What makes that part of playing this game not un-fun, for me (even though it doesn't make me win often), is seeing my opponent being surprised by my weird dilemma choices. And I like to think they appreciate the change of pace, too.

They hesitate seeing dilemma X, thinking there will be Y or Z below it... only to find, later, that it was dilemma A after all.

As an actual, direct deterrent, however, some of my dilemmas are not worth a lot. It's the unknown, the unexpectedness of my choices, which most hampers my opponents.

If we seed those face up, all surprise -- and all nervous anticipation -- will be lost. this will seriously hamper my chances.

What I do like, is the idea of having dilemmas remain face-up after they've been first revealed. :) :thumbsup:

Just my :twocents: .
Director of Operations
By JeBuS (Brian S)
 - Director of Operations
 -  
@SudenKapala I think I'd leave it up to participants if it should be rated or unrated.

The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of face-up dilemma seeds. Because it does take something away from the game. So I changed the first bullet point to be face-up after reveal.

By SudenKapala (Suden Käpälä)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
JeBuS wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:20 pm @SudenKapala I think I'd leave it up to participants if it should be rated or unrated.
Well, you know where to chalk me up! :mrgreen: And, speaking of the reason for that: had you noticed what kind of additional Achievement I went for, during Sykes' SSTTR Release event for which we played our game today? 8)

Answer:
I finally got around to using only TMP dilemmas, for "Film Problems". Oly one had a non-TMP A.I., I think -- Linguistic Legerdemain -- because I played with the Scotty and Uhura image so often already; the rest were TMP. I think they worked out rather better than I had feared.

The more I thought about it, the less I liked the idea of face-up dilemma seeds. Because it does take something away from the game. So I changed the first bullet point to be face-up after reveal.
:) :thumbsup:

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]