For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Psionic Hobo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:02 pm Christopher Jansa vs. D'ell

D'ell gets MW 85-65.

Thanks for the good game :cheersL:

Sorry again for using the wrong deck at first (glad I noticed only a few turns in!)
Oh my! Did you play your IDIC Draft deck?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Contender
2E  National Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
jadziadax8 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:33 pm
Psionic Hobo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 3:02 pm Christopher Jansa vs. D'ell

D'ell gets MW 85-65.

Thanks for the good game :cheersL:

Sorry again for using the wrong deck at first (glad I noticed only a few turns in!)
Oh my! Did you play your IDIC Draft deck?

No. I’m not happy with how my beginner deck is going lol, so I started building my own to see if I can get the theme to work. I guess when I uploaded it to Lackey I wasn’t paying attention and replaced the deck for this tournament with the one I was building.

Lol, we noticed when I went to draw dilemmas and I had none. I’m such a dummy :D :D :D

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
monty42 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:31 pmGood times though! :cheersL:

I concur. Good game :thumbsup:
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
ROUND FOUR PAIRINGS

Julius Melhardt vs. D'ell
Daniel Giddings vs. Adam Bargar
Maggie Geppert vs. Christopher Jansa
Benjamin Liebich vs. Giorgio Velasco

This is the final round. Results are due Tuesday, May 24th. Good luck!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
jadziadax8 FW @Psionic Hobo 100-0

@edgeofhearing is absolutely correct that this deck should be played as a pure speed solver. I switched to that strategy for rounds 3 and 4 and it made a huge difference.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:47 am jadziadax8 FW @Psionic Hobo 100-0

@edgeofhearing is absolutely correct that this deck should be played as a pure speed solver. I switched to that strategy for rounds 3 and 4 and it made a huge difference.
If we're talking about the [TOS] Lucas deck, that's my 7 year old's favorite. He doesn't even bother reading the abilities, just spams out 15 people and throws them at missions. It's the ultimate fight-fire-with-marshmallows deck, which is a lot of fun and doesn't require too much deep thought!
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Armus wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:54 am
jadziadax8 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:47 am jadziadax8 FW @Psionic Hobo 100-0

If we're talking about the [TOS] Lucas deck, that's my 7 year old's favorite. He doesn't even bother reading the abilities, just spams out 15 people and throws them at missions. It's the ultimate fight-fire-with-marshmallows deck, which is a lot of fun and doesn't require too much deep thought!
Correct! I was singing this in my head the whole time:

-  
I remember teaching Ace to play the TOS deck when they were starting out at 2E. Told them to just ignore the special abilities at first. I said "yeah, they all do something really cool, but mostly you just want to get your people down." And that was how they started - then over time they started reading the cards and using powers situationally ("Hey, I can destroy that annoying event!")
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
While any of the decks can win or lose to others based on RNG-related-factors, I've played enough to know that some of the decks will win more often than others. In anticipation of the end of this event, here's a list based on my experience with them, I'm curious if your experiences with them line up with mine.

Tier 0 - These decks require no help:
Cardassian, Dominion, Voyager

Tier 1 - These decks are reasonably close to the top:
  • DS9 - This deck benefits a lot from an extra copy of each of the "common" cards. There's just not much space in the deck while maintaining 7x mission skills, star power, and affiliation diversity. I could probably bring this deck down by one ship and add a Common Purpose or Common Cause - it draws so effectively (and doesn't need to play multiple ships in most games) that it doesn't really need to have a full five ships.
  • SF - This deck suffered more than anticipated from the loss of Lustful Distraction (it was previously tier 0). Accumulated Knowledge is still powerful enough to keep it on the map, but the LD replacements I've tried haven't quite cut it.
Tier 2 - These decks are slightly below average:
  • TNG - I love TNG and have poured so much effort into replacing this deck, because it's kinda average and more complicated than I'd like for a beginner. A pure (non-AU) Davies deck just gets hit too hard by the weenie hate and isn't as fast as the TOS deck so it can't compensate as effectively. I've tried a few different two-mission-win decks; they're also fairly complicated, and without Shelly/Disadvantage, they get hit by weenie hate too. I'm still working on it, but at least, in the meantime, the deck is functional.
  • TOS - All the decks' performances can fluctuate based on playstyle, but none more so than the TOS deck. I'm not sure that there's anything I can do about it other than update the article. I'd love to tune the average personnel cost a bit lower (replacing some of the 2 cost personnel with 1 cost personnel), but that's hard to do while maintaining mission skill ratios and star power.
  • Maquis - There's just not a lot that makes this deck stand out power-wise. It has flavor though, and it is one of my favorite decks to actually play. I might switch its pile depending on how the Borg pile upgrades work out.
Tier 3 - These decks need help:
  • Klingons - I often use Klingons in live demos because they're very recognizable and they're very (very) easy to play. But... they're also just not very powerful. Relentless and Gowron often don't work because the other Klingons in the deck don't have enough Honor. The weenie hate hits them hard and they don't have the speed of the TOS deck or the interference of the Maquis deck or The Central Command. I know I should just make it a Past Klingon deck, because that would solve a lot of the problems, but it also makes the deck harder to put in a beginner's hands (since they need to read abilities before they play cards). That said, the cards are just cheaper (generally), so they may be a bit better than other "when you play" cards for a beginner.
  • Borg - I've played a ton of games with this deck because it allows me to demo the battle components of the game. While it can win, it's just super clunky, slow, and unreliable. Playstyle matters for this deck almost to the degree it does for the TOS deck, but it's also a harder playstyle to articulate. I could make the deck faster by making it an AQ deck, but then I lose the space I need for the battle cards. I think the answer (or at least, the next thing I'm going to try) is to switch to an ACE/Guillotine kill pile in order to buy the draw deck more time to do its thing.
(A final side-note: since these decks are primarily focused on the beginner experience - easy to learn and aiming to be something they can easily modify and bring to an event - absolute balance has never been the primary goal of the decks. I need them to be roughly balanced so that players can print them out and play kitchen table games and not hate me the game, but these decks don't all need to have an exact 50% win rate against each of the other decks. When we were making these decks, Maggie also updated the V-starters for use in sealed tournaments. But I think people have been drawn to these decks for sealed events because they are definitely more complete decks - though I consider that more of a bug than a feature when it comes to sealed events. The V-starters are less robust, but that just means that you're more likely to get cards you can use in your deck in your sealed pool, which makes the deck-building more fun. With your help I will continue to try to balance them - because balance is good - but the fundamental goal of the decks means that I only seek to do so by strengthening the underperforming decks.)
 -  
Lucas - another thing to take into account is that each player received several packs of random affiliated cards to give them some choice in their build; however this can (and did) lead to disproportional numbers of cards that actually helped each deck's major themes. The issues here aren't all on you; it's the way I designed the cardpool (which, granted, was an experiment).

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Contender
2E  National Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
OKCoyote wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:30 am Lucas - another thing to take into account is that each player received several packs of random affiliated cards to give them some choice in their build; however this can (and did) lead to disproportional numbers of cards that actually helped each deck's major themes. The issues here aren't all on you; it's the way I designed the cardpool (which, granted, was an experiment).
This was an issue for me, 5-8 cards I got were unusable.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
@Danny beats me in a close one, 100-60, thanks for a great game!

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
abargar7510 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 4:27 pm @Danny beats me in a close one, 100-60, thanks for a great game!

Edge of seat stuff. I feel the tiniest bit bad at how lucky I was with my dilemmas in your last attempt.

Great game nonetheless :thumbsup:

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
What the right way to post my decklist in sealed format? Especially since I changed my deck twice. Original build? Last build? None of the above?

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]