For more details about this tournament, to pre-register, or to view results, click here

Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Happy 15th anniversary of The Continuing Committee! In the spirit of reflecting on the history of the CC and Second Edition, I have decided to run a Return to Farpoint series. This will be a set of online events moving us through the history of Second Edition.

In my head this tournament is called Waiting for Eddleman. For this Embezzlement Constructed event, players will relive the long drought of releases between May 2005 and August 2006. They will build a deck using only cards from Second Edition through Strange New Worlds.

Each round will be one week, starting Monday, April 3rd. New round pairings will be announced each Monday. Players will play online using Lackey and an agreed-upon method of communication (Skype, Discord, etc.).
Last edited by jadziadax8 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Is anyone willing to talk in general terms about what the meta was like during this era? This was around the period of time that I stopped playing casually. I remember buying a box of SNW but I don't remember actually using the cards at all. Some quick internet searching reveals that records about this period of time are sparse...
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
abargar7510 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:28 pm Is anyone willing to talk in general terms about what the meta was like during this era? This around the period of time that I dropped from playing casually. I remember buying boxes of SNW and AA, but I don't remember actually using them at all. Some quick internet searching reveals that records about this period of time are sparse...
Compared to Necessary Evil era, you're only adding three sets (Fractured Time, Reflections and Strange New Worlds) and one add-on (Tenth Anniversary)

From Fractured Time - Tragic Turn dilemma piles can definitely be a thing, killing more people than you expect in a mission attempt. Security Drills adding more skills than you originally have is also very likely in all Fed decks. Tampering with Time to arrange the top three dilemmas is also possible, especially since there's no Alvera to negate those efforts. Unyielding to prevent stops in Borg decks is also pretty good. Explicit Orders gaining skills until end of mission is great for Dominion. Living Legend Kirk is also likely to show up in all Federation decks. Expand the Collective only if they're playing AQ Borg which could be possible thanks to other cards in future sets, especially if they also use Sphere 634.

Reflections - Before the errata, I would've said Hard Time without question but now that it's planet-only, it's still likely to be seen but only on planets. Dignitaries and Witnesses, especially in space with Personal Duty, is still strong especially since it comes back to the play pile. Final Adventure if they think people will play a dual-HQ deck and Full Security Alert if they can get a low-cost Security personnel for extra stops. Unknown Microorganism is also a possibility as is Urgency. Event-wise, Biogenic Weapon is definitely possible to be seen even though Maquis isn't as strong but there's less event destruction at this point in the game. Disadvantage into Advantage is good for TNG decks. Friction might be a surprise for Dominion to take advantage of. Guidance of the Council could see play, especially in conjunction with K'tal and, also from this set, Alexander Rozhenko, Kmtar. Ohhh Nothing Happened could see play if they're worried about specific dilemmas. Quintessence is also possible for Borg players. Maquis also get access to Stalling for Time in this set as well. For Borg, both the Annexation Drone which gets you 5 points for having all AQ missions (Plus, Distant Exploration goes well in this deck format) and Requisitions Drone are available to the Borg. Cardassians get Enabran Tain for all Intel missions and a potentially free Goran. Dominion get Gelnon for AQ-based Dominion decks and a multi-skilled Ixtana'Rax. TNG get Vintner Picard for Biology-based decks. Lastly, the Romulans get Mendak for a multi-skilled smart Romulan.

10th Anniversary - You might see Picard, Starship Captain due to his variety of skills available to him, Data if they're playing DS9 Earth, Borg Queen only if they're assimilating your personnel but most likely you'd see Gowron in Klingon decks because of his ability to prevent stops/kills to Honor Klingons. As for the ships, Enterprise D Explorer is possible if they're doing two space Diplomacy missions.

Strange New Worlds - Where No One Has Gone Before shows up in this set so that's a concern. Other than Outmatched, that's really it for dilemmas in terms of what I expect to see. Brinkmanship is definitely possible for Romulan decks in terms of dealing with Gomtuu and WNOHGB. Exceed Engine Output is another possible event seeing play in terms of non-Ferengi cards. Ascertain and Cluttering Irrelevancies are notable interrupts in the set. Observation Drone in AQ Borg deck, Goran'agar and Omet'iklan are both Strength 9 Dominion personnel, Daneeka getting extra points for Biology missions to go with Vintner, McCoy and Scotty are also pretty good, K'ehyler getting extra points for Diplomacy missions to go with K'mtar, Spock is a great card for Romulans in this set and, to a lesser extent, so is Tebok. For NA's, you could see a whole Android-based deck with Data, Lore, Ruk, Lal, Soong-type Androids, Noonian Soong and Ira Graves. For sprinkled NA's, Tolian Soran is almost a lock for everyone at 0 cost, Sigmund Freud at a 1 cost, 7 cunning hologram and Vic Fontaine limiting the cost people can spend on dilemmas. This is on top of all the Ferengi cards that are available in this set.

Anyway, that's just things to look out for past the first four sets.

Michael
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
I remember Overwhelmed dilemma piles being popular, especially with the inclusion of Urgency.

Harsh Conditions + Unknown Microorganism was also fun.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Things I remember being good, either because I played them, or I played against them:

Romulan Tillman
Klingon Riker
TNG-anything, but I won Continentals in 2006 with a Vintner deck
Bajoran Integrity
Tain solver
ES9/Kirk

This was a peak speed solver era. Most interference strategies just weren't fast enough to consistently shut down a good solver of almost any flavor.

Maggie has some good takes on dilemma piles. You gotta have an answer for 8 pointers in this era or you're gonna get murder-fied.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I also agree with everything MVB @The Ninja Scot said except the part about Lal being a thing in Android decks.

Since Lal didn't come out until Captain's Log, if your opponent plays her against you in this format, you should immediately stop play and tell them they have an illegal deck. :wink:
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
The 2006 World Championship deck has eluded my archiving efforts (if anyone has any leads, please let me know!), but I have the deck that won Worlds 2005. That said, that deck has been nerfed to the ground (same with the deck that won day 1, a Vedek Assembly infinite counters deck).

Searching through my archived decklists, there's also the deck that Len won the 2005 Jersey PSR with - I believe a Hoskins brother played this one in a previous Return to Farpoint event. This deck hasn't been hit much with the nerf bat, and seems to even be pre-reflections due to a lack of Hard Times.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:27 pm The 2006 World Championship deck has eluded my archiving efforts (if anyone has any leads, please let me know!), but I have the deck that won Worlds 2005. That said, that deck has been nerfed to the ground (same with the deck that won day 1, a Vedek Assembly infinite counters deck).

Searching through my archived decklists, there's also the deck that Len won the 2005 Jersey PSR with - I believe a Hoskins brother played this one in a previous Return to Farpoint event. This deck hasn't been hit much with the nerf bat, and seems to even be pre-reflections due to a lack of Hard Times.
I don't remember all the details but Caleb Grace's 2006 World Championship deck was a [TNG] / [DS9] Fed Science solver. I'm pretty sure the 3 non-HQ missions were the standard Geo Survey/Avert Danger/Mining Survey that almost every Fed science solver plays.

Also, that Len deck isn't public, but if you'd make it so, I'd love to see it.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Armus wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:42 pm
edgeofhearing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:27 pm The 2006 World Championship deck has eluded my archiving efforts (if anyone has any leads, please let me know!), but I have the deck that won Worlds 2005. That said, that deck has been nerfed to the ground (same with the deck that won day 1, a Vedek Assembly infinite counters deck).

I don't remember all the details but Caleb Grace's 2006 World Championship deck was a [TNG] / [DS9] Fed Science solver. I'm pretty sure the 3 non-HQ missions were the standard Geo Survey/Avert Danger/Mining Survey that almost every Fed science solver plays.

Fixed.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Thanks everyone, this is really helpful. Specifically, it's helped to steer me away from the one thing that came to mind about playing, so for that I am grateful!!!

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:52 pm

Fixed.
Yeah, I have some vague recollections of being pummeled by DS9/ES9 skill gain like this, so that what I was thinking of playing. But based on this, and Maggie's comments, that must have been before Reflections came out.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:52 pm

Fixed.
Thanks. Yup, that's definitely The Len Deck (tm)... I played a version of it myself at one point in 2006/2007-ish. Very solid solver.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Bump for pairings starting tomorrow! I'm going to drop @Viper2525, seeing as they were a no call, no show for the last event, which leaves us at 5. I'd love to get a few more folks for this.
North American OP Coordinator
By The Ninja Scot (Michael Van Breemen)
 - North American OP Coordinator
 -  
1E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E World Champion 2023
Tribbles World Champion 2022
The Traveler
1E North American Continental Champion 2023
2E North American Continental Champion 2023
  Trek Masters 1E Champion 2024
1E American National Champion 2023
1E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E Canadian National Champion 2023
2E  National Runner-Up 2023
2E American National Second Runner-Up 2023
1E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
2E The Neutral Zone Regional Champion 2023
doctorjoya wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:42 am I'll join. But I don't see a registration link.
https://www.trekcc.org/tournament/index ... ntID=12381

But since it's in Awaiting Results, Maggie will have to add you manually to the event.

Michael
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation