By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
The players on Sunday morning agreed to try a twist on a couple different concepts for a new tournament format that we ended up calling "Transporter Malfunction". Here's the gist:

•Bring a Standard legal deck and play it in Round 1.
•Swap decks with your Round 1 opponent after your match.
•Play a different opponent in Round 2.
•Swap decks with your Round 2 opponent.
•Play a different opponent in Round 3.

It ended up feeling like a mash-up between Deck Lottery and No Such Thing As Luck, since your Round 1 opponent is random, but you get to see the deck in action before you have to play it against someone else. Three rounds seemed optimal; going to four rounds introduces the possibility of getting your own deck back to play in Round 4.

Thanks to everyone who tried it out; I ended up losing all my games but had a blast trying out new stuff (I hadn't tried Relativity yet!). Definitely nominating this for the next Organized Play Guide Revision!

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
What's good is you see the other deck in action before you play it. The only thing I would like to see if this format is used again next year at Gen Con is maybe a prize for the best deck (simply use VP and differential).

What made it funny is in Round 3 Nick ended up playing James and they were playing against their own decks.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Jono wrote:The only thing I would like to see if this format is used again next year at Gen Con is maybe a prize for the best deck (simply use VP and differential).
Great call! Will add to the OPG proposal :)

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
As someone else who played it, I'm adding my voice to those who enjoyed it and would love to see it official! It's actually made me want to build my own version of one of the decks I used (Rom Wariness), and got to see a different take on Relativity.

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
It was a great format, definitely one of the best. Standard Orbit can be a bit too messy and I'm not a fan of the format, and No Such Thing As Luck does require a minimum of 4 rounds and only 2 different opponents. This way, you get the best of both worlds :)

I got to play my Dominion deck, I think it was Sean's Klingon non-sword deck with Unfair Comparisson, and James' Relativity deck. And seeing them in action before you play them is a real help (although I knew all three decks quite well)

In fact, even though I finished second (stupid differential!) this may have been the most fun tournament of the weekend.

Nick

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Hmmm, despite going 3-0 with full wins in both this and the Race To The Alpha Quadrant, I got no points increase from these 2 tournaments. Do they not count as sanctioned events, which I would find odd, as Academy does.

(After my horrible day 1 performance, I want some points back! Lol)

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
nickyank wrote:Hmmm, despite going 3-0 with full wins in both this and the Race To The Alpha Quadrant, I got no points increase from these 2 tournaments. Do they not count as sanctioned events, which I would find odd, as Academy does.
Scenario tournaments are considered to be Unrated events, so they won't give you any points increase. See section 4.4 of the OPG for more details.
OPG 3.2, section 4.4 wrote:The optional scenarios listed below may be used in First Edition (1E), Second Edition (2E) and Tribbles (TR) events as described.
They are intended to make events fun and unpredictable. As such, they will not affect a player's rating on https://www.trekcc.org
Crossover question

I was literally just typing up this question all[…]

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0