• 116 posts

By Broshak
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I have experience playing similar decks, Romulan has always been my go to affiliation. But I must say this deck is much much easier than I expected.

The dilemma pile is why I think it was so powerful for me, no one was prepared for TT and it just destroyed people. That combined with ALC I was playing against people who had no personnel on the table when I solved my second mission. A couple of smart FSE uses and there was nothing most people could do to get back in the game.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Broshak wrote:I have experience playing similar decks, Romulan has always been my go to affiliation. But I must say this deck is much much easier than I expected.

The dilemma pile is why I think it was so powerful for me, no one was prepared for TT and it just destroyed people. That combined with ALC I was playing against people who had no personnel on the table when I solved my second mission. A couple of smart FSE uses and there was nothing most people could do to get back in the game.
What was your opening hand like against Craig in Round 3? Getting GUYS in play on turn 1 when most of your Romulans cost 3 or more is probably the best draw imaginable with an 80 card deck. I'm no mathematician, but I'd love to know what the hand was and what the odds really are. P'tol and Charvanek can play for cheap, but the only other cost 1 Romulan was Sabrun.

38/80 cards were personnel. I would think a good opening hand would include 4 personnel. Two of your other cards in the opening hand were events, so at most you could have 5.

If the other 5 cards in the opening hand were all personnel and were a good representation of the cost of people in your deck, I'd say you had a 1 each 2-cost through 5-cost and one random. If the 3-cost and 5-cost person was a free Charvanek and a 1-cost P'tol, you could still afford your random 2-cost guy and GUYS.

I just want to know more about how that opening hand went down. I've played a lot of Romulans myself and getting a turn 1 GUYS in play AND have a free event to score points off is flat-out AMAZING to me. I don't get that kind of luck in a 40-50 card deck, let alone an 80 card deck.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:I don't think they shuffle decks in Australia. That would partially explain a 71 game win streak.
No, what explains that is Australia being simply one meta. That kind of dominance can happen, but only on a local level, not on a true continent.

I'm done pretending Australia is on the same level as North America or Europe. Doing so has damaged this game.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
KillerB wrote:
Naetor wrote:I don't think they shuffle decks in Australia. That would partially explain a 71 game win streak.
No, what explains that is Australia being simply one meta. That kind of dominance can happen, but only on a local level, not on a true continent.

I'm done pretending Australia is on the same level as North America or Europe. Doing so has damaged this game.
I recall this being explained on the Team Jersey board as an Outside Context Problem:
The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbors were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.

By The Mad Vulcan (J)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote: I recall this being explained on the Team Jersey board as an Outside Context Problem:
The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbors were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.
That's a quote from Iain M. Banks (see my sig). I believe it was in the book Excession.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
The Mad Vulcan wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote: I recall this being explained on the Team Jersey board as an Outside Context Problem:
That's a quote from Iain M. Banks (see my sig). I believe it was in the book Excession.
It is indeed from Banks' Excession. The point is that there are in fact three distinct places where Trek is played in Australia: Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, along with the usual online events. But the Clarkes were from none of those places.

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
KillerB wrote:

I won't hold your ignorance against you Brother, on balance you do more good than bad for the game.

I can assure you however that Australia isn't one meta. Apart from Continentals the 3 communities rarely interact (though hosting Nats in Brisbane later on in the year will hopefully bridge some of the gap), so each has NFI what the other is doing. And as someone has already helpfully pointed out, Chris and Lee were not apart of any meta. They just made the best decks in the world in secret then unleashed them

Channel you hate into making this years Worlds the biggest and best it can be. I hope it smokes, and you have some influence in making it a success.

Honest
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Non-Australians are proud of themselves for getting cards errata'd because their decks are annoying, fragile and definitely beatable. Chris Clarke only played one beatable deck (Starfleet) in the last 3 years and the originality of using Hate to sneak missions beat the meta, which Europe then copied, what was it 6 Continental decks doing the same thing that year?

America had their chance and naturally fell flat, even before he started playing [Baj] [Maq] complete lockout decks or the Big Borg that Americans can't even play let alone beat.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
Greg, I dont know what you're babbling about, but using 2009 references ridiculous, especially when it involves the west coast.

And Honest, everywhere I go is a success. This weekend will be my first major event in almost two years. You think its a coincidence Trek has sucked in North America in that time? There's a reason they call me THE GAME. I'm what "best for business'".

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
And Honest, everywhere I go is a success. This weekend will be my first major event in almost two years. You think its a coincidence Trek has sucked in North America in that time? There's a reason they call me THE GAME. I'm what "best for business'".
Brother-I absolutely believe you. When you are positive about things, the game generally runs smoother. I am merely asking you to use this power for good, and to build things up, not bad, and tear things down

Honest

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:Im always building.... brother. When a foundation is bad you have to start all over. Im afraid your boy Matthyas is bad for business. Worlds in Australia is terrible for business. There's no logical argument for it.
I spent the weekend with Matthyas whilst the Continentals was on, and I can say with absolute conviction he wants nothing more than to see US player numbers rise again. The Masters series is, at worst, a real good start to try to help that. However, if there is anything else that you think he can do to help with numbers, I am sure if you let him know, he will do his best to make it happen

Good luck this weekend

Honest
Question for noob

I still think I'm misunderstanding TMW. By saying […]

Only works when RS is played after AIV. This is be[…]

Still a few weeks left to get registered for the[…]

Hey all, we are running a "Warum-up" fo[…]