• 184 posts

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
AllenGould wrote:
KazonPADD wrote:
Dunnagh wrote:Furthermore, I´d wish for a little more empathy on all sides. Some people really were offended by this thread. There has been nothing but making fun of those people with cynical comments as a reaction.
I think there would have been more empathy, retraction and apology if the first complainer hadn't been James. There wasn't any real feeling that he was genuinely offended. Rather it appeared to just be used as fuel for his ongoing war against the CC.
I would say the only people with the right to be offended are the people who were given names. If they're OK with being called Long Schlong McGee for the weekend, what business do the rest of us having telling them they can't?
Because it reflects on the community as a whole that doing so on its main forum is tolerated.

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
RedDwarf wrote:
Mr Chairman, you need to sort our house out, and you need to do it quickly. A wishy-washy apology isn't going to cut it.
AS THE RESIDENT VICE CHAIRMAN I AM DECLARING THE FIRST LAW OF THE CONTINUING COMMITTEE!! FROM HENCEFORTH IT IS NO LONGER LEGAL TO HAVE FUN AT A STAR TREK CCG TOURNAMENT LOCAL CONTINENTAL OR OTHERWISE. FROM HERE ON EVERYONE HAS TO BE A COMPLETE SOURPUSS FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION OF BEING WITH STAR TREK PLAYERS.

THERE WILL BE NO LAUGHING

THERE WILL BE NO JOKING

THERE WILL BE NO SITTING AROUND HANGING OUT ENJOYING THE COMPANY OF GOOD FRIENDS

THERE WILL CERTAINLY BE NO USING THE VICE CHAIRMAN'S NAME AS COMIC RELIEF FOR AN ENTIRE EVENING

THERE WILL ALSO BE NO TYPING IN ALL CAPITOL LETTERS

(seriously guy.. we are all here to have fun and play a really fun game and enjoy the friends we have in far away places. Don't lose sight of the fact that for most of us our best friends live in far away places and we only enjoy online or once or twice a year in person).

<voice is horse from all that yelling> I am also slightly offended that my nickname isn't awesome like "cheeky bum sex" or "explosive diarrhea" eh, I'll still take it.</voice is horse from all that yelling>

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
ntimmons wrote: <voice is horse from all that yelling> I am also slightly offended that my nickname isn't awesome like "cheeky bum sex" or "explosive diarrhea" eh, I'll still take it.</voice is horse from all that yelling>
Neil, I believe your voice is HOARSE from all of that yelling, unless of course you meant that you were starting to feel like this guy:

.... Which in this thread I'm sure opens up a while new plethora of potential jokes and references....

:wink:

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
ntimmons wrote: <voice is horse from all that yelling> I am also slightly offended that my nickname isn't awesome like "cheeky bum sex" or "explosive diarrhea" eh, I'll still take it.</voice is horse from all that yelling>
Neil, I believe your voice is HOARSE from all of that yelling, unless of course you meant that you were starting to feel like this guy:

<picture of Mr. Ed>

.... Which in this thread I'm sure opens up a while new plethora of potential jokes and references....

:wink:
I don't know.. I"m out camping... (hiding out in the tent to type in all caps) so go ahead.. bring on the horse jokes, I am in Montana afterall...

My wife said I should have done a reply just like mine above, but done it all in CAH cards... dang.. if I had the time I totally would have done that...

curse you wilderness!!! (and you too horses!)

but I did see a moose!! like a live moose!! with a baby moose!!

First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
nobthehobbit wrote:
AllenGould wrote:
I would say the only people with the right to be offended are the people who were given names. If they're OK with being called Long Schlong McGee for the weekend, what business do the rest of us having telling them they can't?
Because it reflects on the community as a whole that doing so on its main forum is tolerated.
Yes, it reflects that a bunch of Europeans decided to use CAH cards as nicknames for an event as a gag. And the only person complaining is the fellow who boycotted the event in the first place (and honestly sounds like he's kvetching that they had too much fun).

Aside: If I ever make it to a major event, I'm *totally* signing up as "Hugh Jorgan" now.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
AllenGould wrote: the only person complaining is the fellow who boycotted the event in the first place (and honestly sounds like he's kvetching that they had too much fun).
That's not accurate. A bunch of us watching from a distance have said that it didn't reflect well on the community. I'm one of them.

I'm not "heads should roll" angry though. None of this would stop me from playing in or running a TrekCC tournament. I wouldn't mind an official stance on whether TrekCC forums should be suitable for children or not - one of my group is 8 years old, do I point him to the website or not?

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 -  
AllenGould wrote:Yes, it reflects that a bunch of Europeans decided to use CAH cards as nicknames for an event as a gag.
Using nicknames as a gag is one thing. Choose random characters from A Song of Ice and Fire, or Discworld, or Wheel of Time, or Jane Austen novels, or Archie comics, or whatever. Choosing Cards Against Humanity, when these forums are ostensibly family-friendly, reflects poorly on the judgment of whoever chose that source given the content of that game, and it does not reflect well on the community at large that this was tolerated and even, it seems, condoned by various members of the CC.
First Edition Rules Master
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Fritzinger wrote:
AllenGould wrote: the only person complaining is the fellow who boycotted the event in the first place (and honestly sounds like he's kvetching that they had too much fun).
That's not accurate. A bunch of us watching from a distance have said that it didn't reflect well on the community. I'm one of them.
Fair enough.
I'm not "heads should roll" angry though. None of this would stop me from playing in or running a TrekCC tournament. I wouldn't mind an official stance on whether TrekCC forums should be suitable for children or not - one of my group is 8 years old, do I point him to the website or not?
I'd say it's easier for each parent to decide that for themselves, rather than try and Officially Declare what topics are off-limits. Ignoring the fact that these are games that have violence and sexual content all over the cards (and as mechanics!), how far down the rabbit hole do we go? What about discussion of the Biermeister events (alcohol isn't suitable for children)? BoardGameGeek lists 1E and 2E as 10-and-up and 14-and-up respectively, and I certainly didn't see anything on that thread that wouldn't qualify as a modern fart joke.

By TReebel (Ted Reebel)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Okay I know that I'm fairly New on the Forums but just want to throw my :twocents: while Yes I found the CAH nicknames quite humorous it did tend to make it tough to follow who was who and from what i've seen that was the main complaint from a few of the folks. But there has also been what seems like alot of hate flying around and the only thing i gave to say about that is
bunbun hater.jpg
bunbun hater.jpg (6.75 KiB) Viewed 5347 times

But Seriously what it all comes down to is that first and foremost this is a game and everyone just needs to have fun and let the little go.

(Okay you can all start in on Me now) LOL

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The real question is why is James getting bent all out of shape about the jokes?
Keep asking myself that one, too.
(seriously guy.. we are all here to have fun and play a really fun game and enjoy the friends we have in far away places. Don't lose sight of the fact that for most of us our best friends live in far away places and we only enjoy online or once or twice a year in person).
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cheersL: :cheersR: ;)

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
SAM2000 wrote:Hate to get back on topic for the forum but...
Yeah it seems pretty difficult to do that atm Stu

but I'm posting my decks and writing reports as you read this.

Gonna save my main article for after worlds, I'll put a link to the video up on it.

It's a shame i had to leave midway through the final, it looked like Stefan had it as well

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
Hey, you really don't get it why jocking about aids, cancer and sex offenders are offensive? Maybe you should get your heads out of your asses and think for a change? And no, not only James is complaining this time.
So, stop being morons and moderate this thread already.

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]