By stoovie (Matthyas Kiraly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Discuss the 2015 Australian Continental Championships here.

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Hi guys -- Australian Championships start tomorrow.

IronMike and I will do our best to keep everyone up-to-date with everything that is going on in this thread.

Let's start with some predictions.

Matt Ting will win 1st Edition, narrowly beating Greg Dillon to the title. Matt will have a deck that takes full advantage of the banning of In the Zone.

Mike Nugent will win 2nd Edition, narrowly beating new player Hashana Randeni in the final. They will both be playing Dominion.

Daniel Waller will retain he Tribble crown beating out a top table consisting of Kieren Otton, Greg Dillon and Clayton Walton. Daniel will score in excess of 2 million Tribbles with a deck consisting of over 200 Tribbles in My Little Pony Sleeves.

Anyone else want to have a go? Best prediction (closest or most outrageous) wins a prize. Entries close once 1st Edition championship begins (midday Friday -- about 40 hours time).

By Honest
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Australian Continental Champion 2019
1E will be won by Greg Dillon. As good as everyone else is, Greg, to my untrained 1E eye, seems to be a beat better. Matt Ting, Iron Mike and Chompers will make up the top 4

Chompers will win the AU Continentals, beating out Greg Dillon, Hash and an unlucky but plucky Ensign Gibbers in the top 4. Chompers will play a 2HQ deck and bitch most of the time that its not very good, then go undefeated except for the final. Greg will play Romulans, Hash Dominion and Ensign Gibbers Klingon. I'll make the top 8 but bomb out day 2, then run a cube draft

Tribbles will be mine. I kinda feel sorry for everyone else playing, but I'll then get over it and steamroll the table. Gary Dillon, Iron Mike and Clayton will make up the top 4, Clayton using one of Chompers "bad" decks

Mason will take out the newbie award on day 1, ahead of another strong newbie Nick Rappo.

Let the annual TREK FEST (this year part 1!) BEGIN!

Honest

By Iron Mike
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
2E Australian National Runner-Up 2015
I'm tipping Matt to win 1E, with a possible upset by Jay.

I'm thinking 2E like last year will come down to between Ben and Shane.

Tribbles will see Walzo hold his crown.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
John Corbett flies in and is set to sweep, but loses to surprise participant Chris Clarke. John is so impressed with Chris' gamesmanship and sportsmanship that he gracefully admits that Chris' lifetime rating is justly earned. Upon his return, he becomes a strong advocate for a four year worlds rotation that includes Australia twice.

By kingmj4891 (Matthew King)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:John Corbett flies in and is set to sweep, but loses to surprise participant Chris Clarke. John is so impressed with Chris' gamesmanship and sportsmanship that he gracefully admits that Chris' lifetime rating is justly earned. Upon his return, he becomes a strong advocate for a four year worlds rotation that includes Australia twice.

Only if we are living in the [MQ] universe. :P

By Wedge772 (Matthew Ting)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Adventurer
1E Australian National Champion 2015
I'm going to put Jay for 1E. After today, I feel like we have created Frankenstein's monster. It's ALIVE!

Greg Dillon for 2E. Because who knows what's been brewing in the Queensland mad scientist lab.

Kieren will prove to us all once again that Tribbles is a game of skill.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Finally getting over his stinging 48-47 defeat at the hands of yours truly at Worlds 2000 (incidentally, my only tourney win over an Aussie, against three losses that I can recall), former Aussie champ Steven Livanes emerges from obscurity to shock the outback in the 1e Championship, edging out the other former-champ-in-exile, Lee Clarke, thanks to learning from his mistakes and NOT posting bail for Mandarin Bailiff. Lee takes advantage of the recent de-banning of Spatial Rift to resurrect his Worlds 2002 undefeated Borg deck and catch the meta completely off guard with his old skool tech.

Chris Clarke brings Johannes Klarhauser's Ferengi deck as a 'research project' for the new brokenness he's developing for Worlds in a few months. Despite it being a test run, he wins Continentals anyway because that Ferengi deck is already THAT DAMN GOOD.

Tribbles devolves into complete mayhem after everyone brings a version of Josh Sheets' bank deck. The championship is declared an X-way tie (where X is the number of players participating) after all tables break the 120 Million Tribbles barrier. Maelwys de-sanctions the event, citing shenanigans, and Australia is banned from hosting future Tribbles championships of any kind.

How's that? :wink:

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Ken Tufts, deciding to try to outdo Justin Ford's record of attending every US Masters, attends not only Australian Continentals, but also European Continentals, North American Continentals and Worlds. Having dedicated his every waking moment to testing for these events, he crushes his competition at every turn, including a complete 100-0, 100-0 decimation of Chris Clarke in the 2E Worlds final, only to be stopped at the Tribbles Worlds final table when he finishes second by one point behind Constance Corbett, becoming the youngest-ever World Champion of a CCG with an incredible BaH!-BiJ-Qapla' deck.

Utterly dejected by this failure, Ken quits Trek, goes on a pilgrimage to Tibet, and is ultimately recognized as the next Dalai Lama.

Chris, swearing to avenge his defeat, moves to Sydney in order to play Trek regularly again, and flies to Germany for 2016 Worlds.

Constance, elated by her victory, goes on a tear through the 2015-2016 season and betters Ken's record by winning every Continental and Worlds title in 2016, including, after a rule change allowing negative points in Second Edition, a 100-(-90), 100-(-90) defeat of Chris in the 2E Worlds final.

Chris then retires from Trek, goes on a pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia, where he is ultimately recognized as the Islamic Mahdi.

Constance retires from competitive Trek, but tutors her father intensively so that he might defend her titles.

John confines his competitive activities to Second Edition and North America in 2016-2017, but handily wins North American Continentals at GenCon 2017 and heads to 2017 Worlds in Minnesota the heavy favourite.

After sweeping the Swiss rounds, he defeats Nat Kirton, Matthew Frid and Mike Harrington in the round of 16, quarter-finals and semi-finals respectively, each by a score of 100-135. His Causal Recursion-Phoenix strategy is, however, stopped in the final by Kris Sonsteby, playing an all- [NA] deck that despite seeing none of its Tsunkatse cards in the second game manages to win when Kris draws his single copies of Molecular Mishap and The Orion Underworld to win 145-95.

John similarly vows to win Worlds the next year, but after Brian Sykes moves back to Ohio, taking Neil Timmons and Ben Hosp with him, the foursome of those three and Jared Hoffman finally proves too much for any challengers and all CC NACC and North American Worlds semi-finals from then on have all four of those players in them.

European Trek never recovers from the blows dealt to it by the victories of Ken and Constance and all finals of all CC championships from then on are contested by Paddy Tye and Niall Matthew.

In Australia, Lee Clarke also retires from Trek, instead becoming the first Prime Minister to represent an Australian Capital Territory electoral division and proving so popular that a constitutional amendment is passed declaring him Prime Minister for life. In Australian Trek, meanwhile, in order to prevent the high-level domination the game had seen for years at the hands of the Clarkes, it's decided that the competitors in each Continental will rotate each year between players from Sydney, Brisbane and Perth, which causes problems when Keith Morris moves to Melbourne on a permanent basis and wants to contest the championship. He is allowed to do so, but reveals that he had been undergoing instruction by Thomas Kamiura and proceeds to win every Australian championship for the next decade.

Thomas Kamiura himself, desperate to make Day 2 of a major event, does travel to every Continental and Worlds from then on, but always finishes one place outside the cut.

In 2030, Charlie Plaine, finally fed up with the lack of competitiveness at the top levels of Trek, disbands the CC in order that another group could take its place and make cards that will actually shake up top-level play. This group, headed by James Hoskin (having recently returned from a pilgrimage to Africa in which he successfully negotiated the creation of a formal state for the Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic), makes well over 500 cards a year, all of them praised for their innovation and impact on top-level play. Thomas Kamiura proves the main beneficiary of this new approach, and sweeps not only every Continental and World championship in 2031, but also every National championship. (The Masters program had been ended in 2024 after a few years of decline as players began to treat them as glorified locals more than anything else.)

Yours truly continues to track ratings and complain that All-Time ratings are useless because [INSERT PLAYER HERE] has not played in [INSERT LENGTH OF TIME HERE].

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
Loving all the predictions -- you all made my morning. Keep them coming!

It's almost 6am and I am getting ready to make the 2 1/2 drive to the store and start setting up for day 1.

Sealed options include 2E Premiere/Virtual OR 1E Enhanced Premiere Warpseed.

The evening event is 2E Constructed at Maloney's Hotel in the city.

Not sure how many will turn up for day 1 with many players having work commitments.

First rounds start in 6-7 hours.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Hi folks!

Your best bet for live updates is probably going to be right here on the forums, but I will attempt to update on Twitter (@TrekCC) as often as possible, but given the time difference and when I sleep, it will likely be late night updates (or morning or those in North America).

Also, anyone talking about this weekend's events on Twitter is encouraged to use the hashtag #TrekACC!

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
For 1E I predict Ting will get disqualified because he'll forget In The Zone is banned and that will make his deck illegal

Wird erledigt : ). Es war übrigens wirklich[…]

I suspect that’s the usual forum badges you […]

Zwei Turniere und das schon im März ... Das L[…]

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]