-  
Are we playing at Gen Con this year?
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
As previously announced, GenCon is going to be a Trek Masters event this year, with North American Continentals happening in Orlando instead.

Short answer: yes.

By Big Borg
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
What is Trek Masters? Orlando? Why do we continue to hide away in hotel conference rooms or an Arby's? If this is a serious game we should hold big events at the Gaming Capital of the World, not discrete hideaways!!!
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
2E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
Big Borg wrote:What is Trek Masters? Orlando? Why do we continue to hide away in hotel conference rooms or an Arby's? If this is a serious game we should hold big events at the Gaming Capital of the World, not discrete hideaways!!!
This was already explained in this thread last month.

Trek Masters is a series of high-level events that's already over a year old. It is a big event - and as the article says, there will always be a big event at GenCon. Why not Continentals? In addition to the reasons explained in the thread, a lower turnout is expected this year due to the Las Vegas 50th anniversary convention happening the same weekend.

Continentals is in Orlando - and not in a conference room or an Arby's, but in a large and popular game store. (As one of the directors for Continentals this year, I invite you to check out the announcement article for more info.)
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Big Borg wrote:If this is a serious game we should hold big events at the Gaming Capital of the World, not discrete hideaways!!!
That's why it is being held in Orlando.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
I understand Darrell's perspective. Plus, he made top 4 last year. Unlike most of us, he gets better with age. So it looks like, from his view, we're pulling the plug on him as he's peaking.

But Darrell doesn't know about Orlando. It's not a.conference room or an Arbys. It's a great venue and city for Trek. Gencon is a victim of it's own success and isn't worth the money anymore (as a trek location). The majority of trek players have young children, Orlando makes perfect sense as the future of trek in America.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Also, to be fair, even Decipher went to Orlando for Deciphercon one year and IMO it was a better gig than either of the Deciphercons in Virginia.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it down there just because the dates aren't ideal for my job and getting time off, but I'm at least looking at possibilities and trying to make something work.

That said, I think it would be a serious mistake to abandon GenCon. I seem to recall Charlie saying that GenCon is one of the best (and few remaining) venues for demos to attract new and/or returning players. Combine that with the fact that TrekCC has a seriously good rep with the GenCon folks and some sort of high level event plus demos and side gigs strike me as being good for business.

:twocents:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote: But Darrell doesn't know about Orlando. It's not a.conference room or an Arbys.
Don't bag on Arby's. I've played Trek at Two Arby's and a KFC in three different states and there's something to be said for a fast food joint as a tournament venue. Readily accessible food and free refills all day makes for happy players.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
So who's all going to Gencon this year?

By pschrader
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E American National Runner-Up 2023
sexecutioner wrote:So who's all going to Gencon this year?
Assuming my leave schedule permits, I'll be there.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
pschrader wrote:
sexecutioner wrote:So who's all going to Gencon this year?
Assuming my leave schedule permits, I'll be there.
I'll put a bomb threat into your work, that'll give you time off.

:wink:
Tribbles Art Manager
By Kamala (Andrea Heywood-Lobban)
 - Tribbles Art Manager
 -  
Chris and I will be unable to attend this year, much to our own dismay. We love attending and will miss it greatly. This is the first year that The Ninja Scot (North American OP Coordinator) has taken over the schedule and organization of GenCon events. I am sure he will be posting soon with upcoming details and event schedules.

I can't wait to see what all you will be doing!
Chief Financial Officer
 - Chief Financial Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E Ferenginar Regional Champion 2023
I haven't confirmed Gencon yet unfortunately either

With London in the fall and my trip to Africa in march it is going to be tight fitting gencon in with orlando which is almost a definite

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
One way or another I plan to be there, possibly even working part of it (*gulp*).

By nickyank
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Semi-Finalist 2023
2E British National Champion 2021
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make Gencon this year, or Continentals in Orlando.

As I may well be running World's this year, I think my only chance of a high level tournament may be European Continentals.

I am going to be in Orlando in October, so if anyone wants to run a big Masters during the first 3 weeks of October, count me in! Or, if anyone wants to run a little event, I'll be there as well!
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]