Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
nickyank wrote:Unfortunately, I won't be able to make Gencon this year, or Continentals in Orlando.

As I may well be running World's this year, I think my only chance of a high level tournament may be European Continentals.

I am going to be in Orlando in October, so if anyone wants to run a big Masters during the first 3 weeks of October, count me in! Or, if anyone wants to run a little event, I'll be there as well!
Well, Masters is out of the question as there will the one in Atlanta in February. However, I hold 2E tournaments every month and would be more than happy to schedule ours for when you will be in town. Just let me know when and I'll make it happen.

By HoodieDM
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
nickyank wrote: I am going to be in Orlando in October, so if anyone wants to run a big Masters during the first 3 weeks of October, count me in! Or, if anyone wants to run a little event, I'll be there as well!
Not in Orlando, but in Lexington, KY I will be running Masters - US Nationals 2016. Working on venue/dates now.

~D

By Big Borg
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Things used to be so crystal clear. Gen Con is all about gaming. It took place in an inexpensive state at the same time of year. You could plan years in advance. It was fun and offered a diversity of gaming activities. But, being a big convention, the close, nice hotels are expensive. But, since four to five players would stay in one room that expensive was relatively low.

But, a lot of players complained about the cost and wanted the big tournaments in their backyards (internationally and nationally). But, Gen Con had at least Continentals. Still not good enough.

Orlando is a great destinations for families. But it is also much more expensive. Plus, if you are going with your family, what ability do you have to play Trek at a store while your kids want to be at Disneyworld or Universal?

But, Democracy has won out. So, what is the result? According to earlier posts, Regulars are not coming to Gen Con, and not even Orlando.

But, if Gen Con has out lived it usefulness and people want to encourage players to essentially attend Regionals (whatever the name), so be it.

It was great while it lasted. I looked forward to coming together with you guy/gals for four days every August. Good luck. Keep gaming!!
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Big Borg wrote:Things used to be so crystal clear. Gen Con is all about gaming. It took place in an inexpensive state at the same time of year. You could plan years in advance. It was fun and offered a diversity of gaming activities. But, being a big convention, the close, nice hotels are expensive. But, since four to five players would stay in one room that expensive was relatively low.

But, a lot of players complained about the cost and wanted the big tournaments in their backyards (internationally and nationally). But, Gen Con had at least Continentals. Still not good enough.

Orlando is a great destinations for families. But it is also much more expensive. Plus, if you are going with your family, what ability do you have to play Trek at a store while your kids want to be at Disneyworld or Universal?

But, Democracy has won out. So, what is the result? According to earlier posts, Regulars are not coming to Gen Con, and not even Orlando.

But, if Gen Con has out lived it usefulness and people want to encourage players to essentially attend Regionals (whatever the name), so be it.

It was great while it lasted. I looked forward to coming together with you guy/gals for four days every August. Good luck. Keep gaming!!
I like how in this post democracy is a bad thing.

By Mogh, Son Of Worf (Meinhard S. Rohr)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Swedish National Champion 2018
Latok wrote: I like how in this post democracy is a bad thing.
The term democracy as it is abused more and more to justify everything which is decided by a simple majority vote is a bad and dangerous thing.

By sexecutioner (Niall Matthew)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
1E World Runner-Up 2023
1E European Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
1E British National Second Runner-Up 2023
Screw all this democracy talk.

I want to know who I'm up against at Indianapolis!

Let yourselves be known! I want to give each of you a Personalised sexecution experience! I want to know who's drinks I'm spiking with Jager!

By Big Borg
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote: I like how in this post democracy is a bad thing.

More gaming venue options equals core player dilution. Just read the previous posts.

But, I lost this argument years ago when Worlds went to Germany.

I have never understood why players had a problem having our Championship at Gen Con (the Best Four Days of Gaming in the World), with all the gaming options during off-times and good times in the evening. After all, this did not take away the ability of various geographical areas from having big, fun events. Look at how well Germany and Australia have put together their Worlds events. Did they really need to substitute the label "Continentals" with "Worlds" to make that happen?

But, now Gen Con is relegated to even a lower tier -- The Masters.

In prior years, players from various parts of the U.S. would complain about the expense to get to Indianapolis. This argument was made even though many of us on the East Coast, South-east, Michigan and Minnesota would car pool and share hotel rooms. John, Alex and I would drive 12 hours for a fun road trip.

To get to Orlando, everyone flies. So how does this solve the expense problem? And no matter how nice the game store is in Orlando, it is still a game store, not the Gen Con experience.

Please don't think that I am disparaging Orlando. It remains one of my favorite family vacations destinations. But, I am not going there for Trek -- my family would kill me!!
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Big Borg wrote:
But, I lost this argument years ago when Worlds went to Germany.

I have never understood why players had a problem having our Championship at Gen Con (the Best Four Days of Gaming in the World), with all the gaming options during off-times and good times in the evening.
Gen Con being the best four days (let alone a good four days) is definitely an opinion not shared by every Trek player, maybe not even the majority.
After all, this did not take away the ability of various geographical areas from having big, fun events. Look at how well Germany and Australia have put together their Worlds events. Did they really need to substitute the label "Continentals" with "Worlds" to make that happen?
So while arguing that a label makes a difference you're asking whether a label would make a difference? If Gen Con being Worlds, Continentals or Masters actually matters why would that be different for an event in another country?
But, now Gen Con is relegated to even a lower tier -- The Masters.

In prior years, players from various parts of the U.S. would complain about the expense to get to Indianapolis. This argument was made even though many of us on the East Coast, South-east, Michigan and Minnesota would car pool and share hotel rooms. John, Alex and I would drive 12 hours for a fun road trip.

To get to Orlando, everyone flies. So how does this solve the expense problem? And no matter how nice the game store is in Orlando, it is still a game store, not the Gen Con experience.

Please don't think that I am disparaging Orlando. It remains one of my favorite family vacations destinations. But, I am not going there for Trek -- my family would kill me!!
Back in my day, you'd have to walk barefoot, in the snow, up a hill, just to get to the corner store and we liked it.

Every complaint I've seen about the expenses of Gen Con did not get held up on the 'getting there' part. But if you like 12-hour road trips and squeezing 5 people in to a 3 person room just to get the other general stupidities of a convention, why shouldn't everyone?
More gaming venue options equals core player dilution. Just read the previous posts.
If you mean having more 'big events' means that less people play in each. Then some people would disagree because that's why they made Masters in the first place. What you're really saying (I think) is "Some people aren't coming to Gen Con because they're going to other events", no shit. In previous years because people have gone to Gen Con they haven't attended other events.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
There are no more Tiers. OP has made everything meaningless. Turned Worlds into a traveling circus, held countless number of meaningless Nationals in North America, and made Continentals a consolation prize for North America 2 out of 3 years.

Masters has earned a little prestige. Minus a bad San Diego event, they've all been good shows.

Seattle OP hasn't learned any lessons of the past and think you can slap a title on a tournament and that makes it a "big event".

It doesn't. Good people & Good locations. That's what Masters is producing. That's where the future of Trek in North America is.

GenCon last year wasn't good. Sorry, but it's the truth. 2016 will be a lot worse. Sorry Niall, get a refund while you can and use it on a Masters.
Last edited by KillerB on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tribbles Art Manager
By Kamala (Andrea Heywood-Lobban)
 - Tribbles Art Manager
 -  
KillerB wrote:
GenCon last year wasn't good. Sorry, but it's the truth. 2016 will be a lot worse. Sorry Niall, get a refund while you can and use it on a Masters.
Just wondering, what made it not good? Any ideas on how to make it better? Some feedback with substance would be much appreciated.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Kamala wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Just wondering, what made it not good? Any ideas on how to make it better? Some feedback with substance would be much appreciated.
'feedback without substance'... you've been talking to Tyler....

You guys won't make an unmoderated boards because you don't want people talking behind your back. Yet the CC boards are a snakepit of gossip... :?

Don't respond to that Andrea, I don't want a Great Nerd War of 2016. As for GenCon, it's over. It's time to recognize it, accept it and move on. I mean, you can have a Worlds, draw 25% more for one year and fool yourself, but that's all you're doing.
Tribbles Art Manager
By Kamala (Andrea Heywood-Lobban)
 - Tribbles Art Manager
 -  
KillerB wrote:
Kamala wrote:
KillerB wrote:
'feedback without substance'... you've been talking to Tyler....

You guys won't make an unmoderated boards because you don't want people talking behind your back. Yet the CC boards are a snakepit of gossip... :?

Don't respond to that Andrea, I don't want a Great Nerd War of 2016. As for GenCon, it's over. It's time to recognize it, accept it and move on. I mean, you can have a Worlds, draw 25% more for one year and fool yourself, but that's all you're doing.
Thanks for your input. I am sure it will be considered for future events.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
I'm actually very glad Andrea reminded what Tyler said to the other Crighton designers. I wanted to start a new articles series and I wanted that to be the title, but I couldn't remember.

Look for Feedback Without Substance in Spring 2016. :cheersL:

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Kamala wrote:
Thanks for your input. I am sure it will be considered for future events.
I'm on your side Andrea. Retire your GenCon Ruling Council and focus it on Masters. I love your spirit and desire, I think it's just pointed in the wrong direction.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Is there going to be a Trekcc room block?

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]