• 119 posts

By flrazor (Jeremy Benedict)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
This thread will be for discussion of the 2017 North American Continental Championships, July 13th-16th in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
If you haven't already done so, make your plans now for an awesome weekend of Trek in Minnesota!

Here's the front page article if you missed it when it was posted in February, we've included a list of local hotels near the venue and some maps you can use to get directions if you're traveling in to join us. Fantasy Flight has been an amazing host and this time will be no exception as we invade their special event area for the weekend.

Here's the schedule rundown with links to the tournaments for registration. Let us know if you're coming so we can make sure to deepen the prize pools accordingly. It's already coming together!

Thursday, July 13th
5:00 PM - Welcome Kick-Off Event at Fallout Shelter Arcade

Friday, July 14th
9:30 AM - First Edition - 2017 North American Continentals Qualifier (Day 1)
1 PM - Second Edition - Standard Constructed
6:30 PM - First Edition - 2017 North American Continentals Finals (Day 2)
Finals will be top 4 qualifiers, 3 rounds of swiss pairings. Deck changes or modifications are allowed between qualifiers and finals.
7 PM - Tribbles - Open Play

Saturday, July 15th
10:30 AM - Second Edition - 2017 North American Continentals Qualifier (Day 1)
11 AM - First Edition - OTSD Sealed
7 PM - Second Edition - 2017 North American Continentals Finals (Day 2)
Finals will be top 4 qualifiers (or top 8 if over 32 players), 3 rounds of swiss pairings. Deck changes or modifications are allowed between qualifiers and finals.
7:30 PM - Tribbles - Open Play

Sunday, July 16th
Noon - Tribbles - 2017 North American Continentals

*The events in bold require deck lists, either printed in advance or DeckID numbers from the deck builder.

Let us know if there's any info you need, we're excited to have you join us again!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Matt Kirk will be holding a playtest for 2E's Excelsior project (formerly Awaken) on Sunday following the Tribbles event. He's promised incentives for those who are able to participate and provide feedback for development.

Fantasy Flight is also now open until 8 PM on Sundays if you just want to hang and eat/drink even more. Their food is definitely top notch, and the beer/wine is not shabby either.

By karonofborg13 (Matthew Hayes)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
flrazor wrote:Matt Kirk will be holding a playtest for 2E's Excelsior project (formerly Awaken) on Sunday following the Tribbles event. He's promised incentives for those who are able to participate and provide feedback for development.

Fantasy Flight is also now open until 8 PM on Sundays if you just want to hang and eat/drink even more. Their food is definitely top notch, and the beer/wine is not shabby either.
sign me up for the playtest. looking forward to helping out.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
flrazor wrote:Matt Kirk will be holding a playtest for 2E's Excelsior project (formerly Awaken) on Sunday following the Tribbles event. He's promised incentives for those who are able to participate and provide feedback for development.

I'll be drafting an article regarding this event in the coming week. Looking forward to visiting the fine Twin Cities crew.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:Are there still byes? And if so, who gets them?
Bye for the top finishers to be used at Worlds, yes - same as before (OP guide, section 11.1.2). Winner of 1E and 2E get 2 round byes to Worlds, runner up gets a 1 round bye. Tribbles nets 200K head start to the winner and 100K to the runner up.

Kris posted the link with the list of players that currently have byes for Continentals and Worlds for this year. Kris has a first round 1E bye he can use if he wants. ;) Several people that are nearby or already preregistered have byes to use.

By Maelwys (Chris Lobban)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:I would've thought Masters winners would earn a Continental bye if Regional winners did. Guess I'll have to do this the old fashioned way. :)
Masters winners get Masters Points instead, gather up enough of them in the course of a year and you get ALL THE BYES for the following year. (example: Look at MvB's earned byes, he literally has byes for every single event every single game, because he earned a lot of Masters Points across all games last year)
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Maelwys wrote:Masters winners get Masters Points instead, gather up enough of them in the course of a year and you get ALL THE BYES for the following year. (example: Look at MvB's earned byes, he literally has byes for every single event every single game, because he earned a lot of Masters Points across all games last year)
Nate not earning a Continentals bye (nor Kev for that matter) for a Masters win is pretty stupid.

The fact that we earn byes for next year is also pretty garbage, if you ask me. If you're playing in a bunch of Masters events this year, you clearly have the drive to play competitively and have the ability to travel this year. There's no telling what next year will bring, and no guarantee you will have the time nor the money to reap the benefits of all your hard work. This goes double for the fact that you can earn a Worlds bye during the year it is on your Continent, and then not be able to use it next year because it is happening overseas. Just another case of OP missing the mark. :twocents:

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
LORE wrote:
Maelwys wrote:Masters winners get Masters Points instead, gather up enough of them in the course of a year and you get ALL THE BYES for the following year. (example: Look at MvB's earned byes, he literally has byes for every single event every single game, because he earned a lot of Masters Points across all games last year)
Nate not earning a Continentals bye (nor Kev for that matter) for a Masters win is pretty stupid.

The fact that we earn byes for next year is also pretty garbage, if you ask me. If you're playing in a bunch of Masters events this year, you clearly have the drive to play competitively and have the ability to travel this year. There's no telling what next year will bring, and no guarantee you will have the time nor the money to reap the benefits of all your hard work. This goes double for the fact that you can earn a Worlds bye during the year it is on your Continent, and then not be able to use it next year because it is happening overseas. Just another case of OP missing the mark. :twocents:
Why not go to a currency-like point system where players can earn points then 'purchase' first round byes in future events? That way, a player who wins an event with a bye as a prize won't forfeit said bye for all of the reasons Kris mentions above. This is especially poignant if we're planning to keep the Worlds rotation.

I'm sure it would take a little tactical doing, but this strikes me as quite implementable.

Masters points were a step in the right direction. Now let's take the next step.

Plus, I'm sure the mythical costing chart addresses this, I mean, how could it not? :wink:

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
I never understood Masters points in the first place, and have never bothered to pay attention. Sometimes when I show up the TD tell me I have a bye. Doesn't matter to me either way.

Byes are a relic of the past.

Seems foolish to travel *not* to play. There's no cash to be won, I don't need any kind of advantage.

Sykes and I have been debating this amongst ourselves, and having or creating an elaborate system to have byes for a tiny number of players who care about them makes little sense to me. He thinks that's an incentive to travel. I travel to hang out and *play* games.

The thing OP dropped the ball about is rolling out Masters in North America and keeping Nationals. While having Masters outside NA. There are no titles that matter any more, so why should I give a damn about byes?

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In the past 2 1/2 years, I won two and finished runner-up in a third Masters in San Diego, Chicago, and South Dakota. It seems like that would be a reasonable threshold for earning something, if there was anything that could be reasonably earned.
LORE wrote:The fact that we earn byes for next year is also pretty garbage, if you ask me. If you're playing in a bunch of Masters events this year, you clearly have the drive to play competitively and have the ability to travel this year. There's no telling what next year will bring, and no guarantee you will have the time nor the money to reap the benefits of all your hard work. This goes double for the fact that you can earn a Worlds bye during the year it is on your Continent, and then not be able to use it next year because it is happening overseas.
This is certainly true. With Continentals in a favorable location and Worlds in this country, I am following cards, playing, and traveling much more. Knowing I was going to Continentals and the possibility of Worlds was on my mind when I decided to come to South Dakota Masters. Next year could be very different -- last year I only played in two locals.

Done.

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]

Thermokinetic explosion

It would hit because your total attibutes at the t[…]

1EFQ: Random Releases

I'll add one more thing. If this becomes more of[…]