• 142 posts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
It was a great weekend attended by really great folks. Thanks to everyone who came out for the fun!

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
jadziadax8 wrote:It was a great weekend attended by really great folks. Thanks to everyone who came out for the fun!
+1

And special thanks to Maggie for all her efforts this weekend! You're awesome!
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Armus wrote:Ok let's just stipulate that Kevin can win with anything because he's that good of a player.

How tier one is Borg for anyone not named Kevin Jaeger?
But even if you ignore Kevin your point becomes Borg might not be tier 1 viable because two players lost to Ken, Justin and Kris...

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Latok wrote:
Armus wrote:Ok let's just stipulate that Kevin can win with anything because he's that good of a player.

How tier one is Borg for anyone not named Kevin Jaeger?
But even if you ignore Kevin your point becomes Borg might not be tier 1 viable because two players lost to Ken, Justin and Kris...

Imho - borg are losing because they've become stagnant and mostly predictable. They need fresh new things to do. Not more personnel and certainly not a new 2 objective win combo - just new point objectives and/or a new way to use the ones they already have available. I play Borg in a way that is different than the other guys and it serves me well because I don't follow a script. Most other Borg decks usually end up on a script and that makes seeding dilemmas easier and staying ahead of their clock much more doable.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Hoss-Drone wrote:Imho - borg are losing because they've become stagnant and mostly predictable. They need fresh new things to do. Not more personnel and certainly not a new 2 objective win combo - just new point objectives and/or a new way to use the ones they already have available...Most other Borg decks usually end up on a script and that makes seeding dilemmas easier and staying ahead of their clock much more doable.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't know if this is why Borg are losing -- I'm not that good -- but it is why Borg have gotten boring.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Ok since this got Necro'd...

I played Borg at ManasSTARCADE, and you know what?

- I won the tournament

- I had fun with the deck

- I remembered why I liked playing them.

I ran a big fat version of Stop First Contact with Data of Borg, but I also ran enough standard issue objectives that I could win without Earth. Game one I played against James's TNG Fed Solver. He didn't see it coming and around turn 4 I stopped First Contact and, as he put it, 'threw his deck in the trash can'. :borg:

After that word got out and both Phil and Chris overloaded Earth with 7+ dilemmas leaving token Resistance everywhere else. So what did I do? I changed gears, ignored Earth completely, and went about Establishing Gateways and Assimilating Planets. Assimilating a duplicate Vulcan against Chris's Romulan deck was fun.

Finally, against Austin, after some early battles I split the difference: I took advantage of two lightly seeded missions, then assimilated Earth for a three objective win.

Kevin was right: Scripted Borg decks are too easy to stop, but if you can build a deck that can take what your opponent gives you, you can be competitive with Borg. Flexibility, or more correctly, the ability to ADAPT to the opposition, can be a threat to any meta.
German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Both these ideas have elements that interest me as[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]