• 142 posts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
As some of you may have heard, the rumors are true and North American Continental Championships will be in Chicago, IL in 2018. I'm looking to get some information from people on the best days for these events. Right now I'm looking at the last full weekend in June (the 23rd and 24th) for the event. July 4th is smack dab in the middle of the week, which I bet will hose people traveling on either bracketing weekend. After that, we're creeping up on GenCon, and I don't want to have two major events so close to each other geographically and temporally.

Looking at what we've done for Nationals in the past, we've had a lot of luck doing 2E on Saturday and 1E on Sunday, but I'm not sure how feasible that's going to be for Continentals, since it's a "2 day" event. Historically, Chicago has drawn more 2E players in big events than 1E players, so I want to stick with Saturday for 2E. However, problems pop up for 1E. The best candidate for a venue is Good Games Chicago. Looking at their store hours, I think a Friday date for 1E may be the better bet, since they close at midnight on Fridays but 6:00 pm on Sunday. How do the 1E guys feel about a Friday date?

Tribbles is another question mark. They were on Sunday for Continentals this past year. I was hoping to allow Sunday to be a travel or fun day for folks, but I don't see another better option than Sunday morning at 10:00 am. How would people feel about Thursday night Tribbles as an alternative?
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Hmmmm, doesn’t track, even with single day tournaments. 5 rounds of 1E and 6 of 2E doesn’t work in a single day. That’s easily 14 hours and the store isn’t open that long.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I would say for 1E you should run 4 rounds on Friday @ 10 am, then a meal break, then cut to Top 4 and play 3 more games (with deck changes possible).

Similarly for 2E, 5 rounds @ 10 am Saturday, meal break, 3 more rounds for Top 4.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
1E Cardassia Regional Champion 2023
When Orlando hosted Continentals in 2016 we did:
*1E day 1 on Friday (5 rounds)
*2E day 1 on Saturday (6 rounds)
*1E & 2E day 2 on Sunday (3 rounds run at same time)
*Tribbles on Sunday

There was also sealed side events opposite to the format being run (2E sealed on Friday, 1E sealed on Saturday)

If we would do it again, we would have Tribbles on either Thursday or Friday night.

I would suggest not running 1E day 1 on Sunday, holding it on Friday is a better option.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
CaptMDKirk wrote:I would say for 1E you should run 4 rounds on Friday @ 10 am, then a meal break, then cut to Top 4 and play 3 more games (with deck changes possible).

Similarly for 2E, 5 rounds @ 10 am Saturday, meal break, 3 more rounds for Top 4.
I don’t know if that’s possible with store hours... eight rounds total with a meal break and you’re talking about 11 or 12 hours. Might be safer to run 2E day 1 on Saturday, day 2 on Sunday with Tribbles Saturday night (since Tribbles takes just two hours with hands down at time while Trek can go well past time.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Sean, did you have players who made top 4 for both games? I could easily see that happening if, say, Kevin travels here.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
Jono wrote:Might be safer to run 2E day 1 on Saturday, day 2 on Sunday with Tribbles Saturday night (since Tribbles takes just two hours with hands down at time while Trek can go well past time.
This could be doable.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
jadziadax8 wrote:Sean, did you have players who made top 4 for both games? I could easily see that happening if, say, Kevin travels here.
Not for Continentials in 2016.

We did have two at Worlds this year (Michael and Lucas). The difference was for Worlds we had top 8, but for Continentials we had just top 4 (where everyone played each other in day 2).

By ntimmons (Neil Timmons)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
jadziadax8 wrote:Right now I'm looking at the last full weekend in June (the 23rd and 24th) for the event.
Are there any other dates being considered? My I have a 50th wedding anniversary that weekend that I am required to attend :(

If there are I'm trying to see if I can make it.

N!
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Architect
1E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
2E Andoria Regional Champion 2023
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Naetor wrote:I promised my high school friend over Thanksgiving that I'd visit him in Chicago next summer. Sounds like a good time to go.
You can catch up with Big Kev and I, as the loose plan is for us to travel to this with the wives and spend some time with the in-laws.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:
Naetor wrote:I promised my high school friend over Thanksgiving that I'd visit him in Chicago next summer. Sounds like a good time to go.
You can catch up with Big Kev and I, as the loose plan is for us to travel to this with the wives and spend some time with the in-laws.
Deal. But I'll also be in Minnesota in mid-ish June. My cousin in getting married in The Cities. We'll get the crew!

Is it now that we talk about the dream card forum?[…]

German Nationals 2024 (1E)

Done. Your complete decklist. Can't have your […]

Unser Turnier in Köln gestern war ebenfalls[…]

Online CM RELEASE TOURNAMENT

Hello, Here are the 2nd round pairings, courtesy […]