Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
prylardurden wrote:
monty42 wrote:
CaptMDKirk wrote:Larger competitive decks have to include more downloading in their decks to be consistent...
I challenge that premisse.
Large/huge decks don't have to include big download chains to be competitive. i.e. https://www.trekcc.org/decklists/index. ... ckID=34150
If your event/interrupt : personnel ratio doesn't get off, they can play just as well and consistent as small decks.
I see "download" on about 7 or 8 different cards in that deck, several of which are repeatable...
I call 7 or 8 within 85 a less than average ratio. I mean c'mon man, it's less than 10%. I've seen a shitload of < 50 card decks that use a lot more downloads than that. Not to mention that not all of these downloads are senseable and intended to be used.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Naetor wrote:Download is such a dumb mechanic in a game where you can draw 7 cards in a single turn.
I agree. More dead weight carried over from 1E.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote:
Naetor wrote:Download is such a dumb mechanic in a game where you can draw 7 cards in a single turn.

Hey, we all agree on something... It's an Easter Miracle! They should've set a standard a long time ago that any download had to be called out by name (card title). Keep it quick, story mode and simple.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
CaptMDKirk wrote:
monty42 wrote:I'll just go ahead and claim that the deck size has very little to do with the games going to time.
Larger competitive decks have to include more downloading in their decks to be consistent (and win more often as a result). Downloading is the #1 timesink in the game. More downloads = more timesinks and longer turns, which translates to more games going to time.
Downloading isn't the #1 time-sink in the game, it's people making decisions.

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
monty42 wrote:Hey, if we got rid of people, we'd be having a lot less of these pesky discussions...
Time to start working on making Trek-playing AIs...

(For what it's worth, I agree with ML that this should be public knowledge.)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
nobthehobbit wrote:Time to start working on making Trek-playing AIs...
No, no, no... we need to get starting on getting rid of people. We don't care about what's happening to Trek.

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
KillerB wrote:
monty42 wrote:
Hey, we all agree on something... It's an Easter Miracle! They should've set a standard a long time ago that any download had to be called out by name (card title). Keep it quick, story mode and simple.
Good luck remembering all those Jem'hadar names (except the 2 to 3 unique ones always used).
Chief Programmer
By eberlems
 - Chief Programmer
 -  
Explorer
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E  National Second Runner-Up 2023
Faithful Reader wrote:
Armus wrote:
eberlems wrote:If I recall correctly I was not allowed to count the cards in my deck before playing The Central Command, but I was allowed to count all my other cards in game, hand, discard pile, brig and out of play and substract from the decksize I remembered.
Ok, that's just stupid. Is that seriously what the current rules say or is this a case of a TD being obtuse?
Smells more like concerns about stalling. But there is a provision for that in the OPG.
Back to answer the question of the thread, the current OPG states:
OPG 7.8 Tournament Conduct wrote:...

In Second Edition tournaments, any player may count the number of cards remaining in his or her deck. Players are not compelled to share this information with their opponents, but there is no penalty for doing so. Any player may examine the cards in any discard pile or any cards removed from the game at any time. Any player may count the number of face - down cards in a dilemma stack at any time. Any player may request an opponent counts the number of cards in his or her hand and reveals the correct count. A player may not count the number of cards in his or her dilemma pile.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:
Latok wrote: Downloading isn't the #1 time-sink in the game, it's people making decisions.
So get rid of people? This shit went Terminator quick...
I think there's other ways to deal with it. Suppose that there was a rule that no player can take longer than ten seconds to make a decision.

Players would make far, far more mistakes... but it would affect both sides of the table evenly, so that's not a huge problem. And it would really speed up those long 3-minute "who should I send on this away mission?" debates (thus, the game).

I've been toying with the idea of having a tournament in my basement where we test this rule out (for 1E).

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
BCSWowbagger wrote:
KillerB wrote:
Latok wrote: Downloading isn't the #1 time-sink in the game, it's people making decisions.
So get rid of people? This shit went Terminator quick...
I think there's other ways to deal with it. Suppose that there was a rule that no player can take longer than ten seconds to make a decision.

Players would make far, far more mistakes... but it would affect both sides of the table evenly, so that's not a huge problem. And it would really speed up those long 3-minute "who should I send on this away mission?" debates (thus, the game).

I've been toying with the idea of having a tournament in my basement where we test this rule out (for 1E).
How would you enforce a rule like this?

I think the scenario was more around things li[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Is there any interest from the greater area to com[…]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during a […]