Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

Who is your favorite Uhura

Experienced Technician, 25 V 41
88%
Skilled Technician 12 C 86
6%
Unprincipled Technician 13 C 81
6%
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
It's Wednesday! We're more than halfway through the week. Since we are over the hump, let's look at a question!

Last week: The Menagaboost
7-20-22 Androids Vs. Romulans
7-13-22 A Menagerie of Benefits
7-6-22 Classification Civilian: Questions from Bob
6-29-22 Mission Condition
6-22-22 There But for the Grace of Main
6-15-22 Starcorder
6-8-22 Forever a Thief
6-1-22 Handful versus individual
5-25-22Masters May 2022 Mini Stockwatch
5-18-22 Mad-Lib a Number
5-11-22 Fifty underdogs
5-4-22 Fighting NeuNeuDominion
4-27-22 Mad-Lib a Card
4-20-22 The Middle of a Man
4-13-22 Committee Follow Up
4-6-22 Sub-Optimal
3-30-22 Consistently Inconsistent
3-23-22Twenty-Twenty First
3-16-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian Final
3-9-22 Clash of Classification: Civilian One Two and Three
3-2-22 Hall Of Fame 2022 With a Twist ... of Fate!
2-23-22 Classification: Civilian Page Wars Final
2-16-22Classification Civilian Page Wars One, Two and Three
2-9-22 Yakety yak
2-2-22Civilian vs. V.I.P.
1-26-22 When is a card not Picard
1-19-22 Staffing Concerns
1-12-22 Consistently Inconsistent
1-5-22 First Things First

The biggest news in the past week is the passing of Nichelle Nichols. She changed the direction of television forever. Outside of Trek, she took it upon herself to not only recruit for NASA but her work in changing the culture to be more equitable and inclusive cannot be understated. One of the biggest contributions to the franchise was astronaut Mae Jemison who guest starred on Trek and continues to be a consultant for the entertainment industry. There is a reason why she is listed in memoriam for the majority of the week.

In honor of her contributions, let us know which Uhura is your favorite. Vote in the poll above and let us know why.

Uhura, Experienced Technician
Uhura, Skilled Technician
Uhura, Unprincipled Technician

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Armus wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:33 pm Experienced Technician, and it's not even particularly close.

Same. Great VP image too.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Would love to see more activity in this thread in honor of Nichelle, but with the three cards it doesn't give much room.

Hope we can get an awesome new version of her in an upcoming set not too far away to honor her legacy.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
WeyounsLastClone wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:04 am Would love to see more activity in this thread in honor of Nichelle, but with the three cards it doesn't give much room.

Hope we can get an awesome new version of her in an upcoming set not too far away to honor her legacy.
Three cards, and one of them nearly unanimously considered the best version. I'm curious what version players would like to see for her? Is there an episode or movie that stands out as inspiration for a unique version of Uhura?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:08 am
WeyounsLastClone wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:04 am Would love to see more activity in this thread in honor of Nichelle, but with the three cards it doesn't give much room.

Three cards, and one of them nearly unanimously considered the best version. I'm curious what version players would like to see for her? Is there an episode or movie that stands out as inspiration for a unique version of Uhura?
I think in general, the later movies have a good amount of source material for new versions of the TOS crew.

Obligatory plug for my Search for Spock dream card set. In fact, I'll go post the Uhura for that now.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I’d like to see better versions of all the main TOS crew from the show. The movie versions of the cards are nearly always leagues better than the show ones.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Gorgo Primus wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:59 pm I’d like to see better versions of all the main TOS crew from the show. The movie versions of the cards are nearly always leagues better than the show ones.
I partially agree with this.

James T. Kirk, Highly-Decorated Captain, Leonard H. McCoy, Chief Medical Officer, and Spock, Science Officer have been staples in my [TOS] decks for years. Sure, other versions are playable (and I've played them too), but they're on the same level of competitiveness and the decisions tend to be deck-specific.

On the other hand, Hikaru Sulu, Senior Helmsman, Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, and Uhura, Skilled Technician are just bad. I haven't run any of them since Allegiance came out because the movie versions ARE better (and yeah I know experienced Uhura came later, but I don't recall running Skilled Technician at all).

Pavel A. Chekov, Young Navigator is the one that goes the other way His ability makes him useful in just about any [TOS] deck, and as much as I like the Experienced version, I've yet to find occasion to use him.

So if Design were to revisit Original Series-specific TOS, I'd maybe look at the middle three for a redo, but the others I'd leave alone.

:twocents:

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:15 pm
Gorgo Primus wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:59 pm I’d like to see better versions of all the main TOS crew from the show. The movie versions of the cards are nearly always leagues better than the show ones.
I partially agree with this.

James T. Kirk, Highly-Decorated Captain, Leonard H. McCoy, Chief Medical Officer, and Spock, Science Officer have been staples in my [TOS] decks for years. Sure, other versions are playable (and I've played them too), but they're on the same level of competitiveness and the decisions tend to be deck-specific.

On the other hand, Hikaru Sulu, Senior Helmsman, Montgomery Scott, Chief Engineer, and Uhura, Skilled Technician are just bad. I haven't run any of them since Allegiance came out because the movie versions ARE better (and yeah I know experienced Uhura came later, but I don't recall running Skilled Technician at all).

Pavel A. Chekov, Young Navigator is the one that goes the other way His ability makes him useful in just about any [TOS] deck, and as much as I like the Experienced version, I've yet to find occasion to use him.

So if Design were to revisit Original Series-specific TOS, I'd maybe look at the middle three for a redo, but the others I'd leave alone.

:twocents:
Yeah, this is a good assessment of their status imo.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Don't think she needs to be the new Kira, but some more alternatives that live up to the Experience Tactician level would be nice.

Indeed maybe one from the series, but I also really like the one that's revealed for 1E, so maybe something like that.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]