Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I noticed that in the most recent dump of cards from the new 1E set, several seemed to be based on or at least inspired by existing 2E cards. Is there a conscious strategy to create cards that have both 1E and 2E versions? If so, can we expect to see it go the other way as well with cards that exist in 1E ported over to 2E concepts in future sets?

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Um probably?

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
To my knowledge there isn't anything like that, though there is no rule that says a 2E designer can't be inspired by something they saw in 1E and decide to someday pitch a card idea based on it. I think Revised Kizar was loosely inspired by his counterpart in 1E, but so far as I know that's it in terms of cards from projects I've worked on.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Gorgo Primus wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:27 pm To my knowledge there isn't anything like that, though there is no rule that says a 2E designer can't be inspired by something they saw in 1E...

Which is a good job - 1E's a favoured muse of mine for 2E 'inspiration'.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
winterflames wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:24 pm Wait, is this not a community vs community post?
In this particular case, Pillar of the Community was not inspired by Community Leader. In fact, it was inspired by the opening monologue of Babylon 5 and in testing was named “Port of Call” from the opening narration of that show “Home away from home for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanders.”

That’s not to say designers from one game or the other are never inspired by the other game, but often times it’s just a matter of the fact that two games based on the same intellectual property are going to hit upon the same topics now and then.
First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
Sometimes 1E Design puts old 2EBC cards in a file (no longer extant in 1E), then sends them off to Creative, and Creative changes them, effectively filing off the serial numbers (although I don't think that's their intent).

I know Recreation Room was originally titled One Man Cannot Summon The Future, and I know Disrupted Continuum was originally titled Unexpected Difficulties.

Sometimes Creative changes nothing when we restore old 2EBC cards. It's pretty obvious what we had in mind for Commodore Stone's special download, and I recall that set had a version of Coordinated Counterattack that failed playtesting. Despite 1E's severance of 2EBC, there's still an appetite among some players to get those cards back in the card pool.

Sometimes, though, it's pure coincidence. There's a card I can't talk about that does exactly the same thing as an old 2EBC card, and I mentioned this casually, and the entire design team stared (virtually) blankly at me, because they'd entirely forgotten that card existed or what it did. Given the total lack of 2E players in the Paradise Lost design team, I wouldn't be shocked if it turned out that any similar mechanics turned out to be purely coincidental. (Although the title on To Rule In Hell seems too close for coincidence.)

1E and 2E Design have little crossover, so I can't say how 2E Design operates, but that's 1E.
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Honestly, I don’t think I’ve re[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Takket ! :D :thumbsup: […]

Opponents turn

Remodulation

It started in mid-2013. At that time it became sta[…]