Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 101 posts

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Are there any cards that are Rules.?

The word "rule" does not appear in this set. -richard

How many dilemmas are there?

See below and reverse engineer a reasonable answer. (I am a math teacher. There's your homework.)

EDIT: hmmm, 10/11 = .909 ? so 11 dilemmas and one is not skill based?

I wish you were in one of my classes...

Are all of the Dilemmas "skill based dilemmas"?

91% of them are. -crp

Thanks,

Mark
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Are there more Kazon Icons or Borg Icons in Extreme Measures?

It took me a while to count them all, but there's a tie! -richard

In terms of image alone, what card too the most work?

I bet Charlie or the art department would have an answer to this. I haven't had much to do with images. The easiest was probably Peak Performance. We had that one before the text.

I'd guess Off-World Raid. It's a planet that didn't actually appear on screen, so a bit of magic was required. Of course, I say this not knowing anything about the actual man-hours put into each image. Maybe jjh will post and let us know which image really did take the most work. -crp

Faithful Reader, thankful for the pictures

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
If you were me, what question would you ask about Extreme Measures?

We haven't been asked for our favorite cards in the set yet...

What is your name? What is your quest? But those would get you sent to the corner. So I'd ask about card #47. It's the secret to the Star Trek universe! (Actually, it's a no-good dirty thief.) -crp

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
What card do you think will change things the most?

Charles Watley. -richard
I'll say... you know, I was going to say something else, but he's just that good. But Promenade School goes great with him, so I'll say that. -crp

What card do you think is the most powerful?

There are a lot of powerful cards. The testers seem to think the [Fer] mission is the most powerful. Personally, I think it's I Stand With My Shipmates. -crp

Charlie's probably right, but I'll say Ferengi Tradition.

What card do you think will be played the most?

Promenade School.
I think people will pack a Quinn or two in almost every deck. -crp

What card do you think will be played the least?

Flaw in the Plan. It's very defensive, and defensive cards tend to get ignored (even when they shouldn't). -crp

Outside draft, Alien Encounter.

What card do you think would be most likely found in a Continentals/Worlds winning deck?

I Stand With My Shipmates.

What card do you think will spark the most discussion?

Ferengi Tradition.
I'll say Falsify Distress Signal. -crp

What card(s) might require rules clarification?

I hope none of them. Our Rules Master made not one, but two separate passes through the expansion at two different times. I'm hopeful all the rules issues were ironed out. If I had to guess at a card that will generate the most questions, I'd guess Flaw in the Plan. -crp
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
To each designer: what IS your personal favorite card in the set? And why?

Information Extraction is one of my favorite effects. High cost, but could be enough to turn a game. The card I put forwards in Legacy had a similar effect and I'd love to see more of it. -richard

I'm a big fan of that whole cycle of dilemmas. I think they do a good job of tying the dilemma pile and the deck together. -crp

By DJstormtrooper (Tyler Fultz)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
What card experienced the most unexpected problems in playtesting?

I went through about 4 completely different versions of Hoshi before we finally just cut her. Promenade School went through quite a few changes too before settling on the current text. It was more about targetting the right group. The effect was the same regardless. -richard

The Enterprise was a card that didn't get a lot of feedback early. In fact, the feedback we did get was positive. Then, suddenly towards the end of testing, we started to hear some concerns about it. I know that took me by surprise. But - when I thought about it - it made sense. Testers tend to look at the cards that concern them first. So that's the feedback we get, and process, and address. And as more and more concerns are settled, testers naturally expand the cards they look at in depth.

TLDR version: The Enterprise. -crp

By chompers (Steve Hartmann)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
2E Australian Continental Semi-Finalist 2019
The makeup of different card types in Peak Performance was
9 dilemmas
1 equipment
7 events
10 interrupts
2 missions
22 personnel
3 ships
which forms the number 917102223

What number does Straight and Steady make?

62412532533, but you have to take into account Incidents, Objectives, and Time Locations. Also, this isn't even an Extreme Measures question! To the corner, mister! -richard

Any new Cardassians that have no other persona in 2E?

None that fit that description, no.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Any Hosts?

Sorry, no. -richard

If the answer's "Yes", any 'new and original to 2E' Hosts? (Along the lines of Odan or Riker Odan.)

Any Genetically Enhanced peeps?

Sorry, no.

If the answer's "Yes", any 'new and original to 2E' Genetically Enhanceds? (Along the lines of Khan's buddies or the ridgeless Klingons from the Enterprise episodes.)

Any [AU] icons on personnel?

Sorry, no.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Adventurer
How many [SF] personnel will we see?

[SF] is not represented well in this expansion, at least in terms of the affiliation. -crp

How many [Fed] ships will we see?

Between one and three. -crp

How many cards have pictures of people in [SF] uniforms?

At least one. -crp

How many cards have Kamala on them?

Jean Grey doesn't appear in Extreme Measures. -crp

How many cards have [TOS] icons on them?

Between one and three. -crp

What are your favorite cards?

If I had to pick three: Falsify Distress Signal, Bajoran Resistance Cell, Inequitable Exchange. -crp

Will there be a new Sisko?

Sorry, no. -crp
Shipping Manager
By SirDan (Dan Hamman)
 - Shipping Manager
 -  
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
How many hats to you see?

Depending on your definition of "hat", there are five (5). -crp

Back in Make it So, there was a challenge where designers were given an image to make a card out of. Did the Art team make any demands like this for EM? Have they ever?

Nope, but we almost always give Johnny and his team chances to suggest images. When time is short, design will often give suggestions to art, but even then - art always has the option to suggest images, and when they do, it's amazing. -crp

Is there anything that will speed up my Cadet/Guinan/At What Cost/Kira Taban deck?

Does that deck need to be faster? That being said, there are some different ways to use some of those Guinan/Kira Taban points. (Especially the latter guy.) -crp

Are all the colors in the rainbow represented?

Charlie mentioned that there are dilemmas that made a card in the current promo set (Overwhelmed) better. Are there any other cards that have synergy with Series VI promos?

What the heck are Rogue and I missing about I Stand With My Shipmates?

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Assuming a character is holding a piece of equipment on card #12, who is holding it?

It is not being held by anyone. -crp

Find the personnel with the highest Integrity (your choice if a tie). What keyword(s), if any, does that personnel have?

I see two with the same high Integrity. In 1E, both would pass Executive Authorization, but in EM, only one has a keyword. -crp

Find the personnel with the lowest Integrity (your choice if a tie). What keyword(s), if any, does that personnel have?

One is a Shape-shifter; the other has no keyword (but he does have an Order.) -crp

You begin combat with the lowest Strength personnel in the set. What Hand Weapon do you want that personnel to be equipped with?

This one. -crp

You are attempting a mission with the highest Cunning personnel in the set. What non-Hand Weapon equipment do you want that personnel to be equipped with in order to gain a skill?

Either this one or this one, but neither one gives him something he doesn't already have. -crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
What needs to happen before we get to know the release date?

Nothing! The card list is up, and the expansion will be released on Friday, February 4th, 2011! -crp

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Any personnel to use with Hindrance?

I don't see [Fut] at all. -richard

Any way to protect your events/interrupts from destruction?

Sorry, no.
Well, if your method of destroying my events/interrupts comes in the form of a personnel, there are a couple cards that can stop that. At least temporarily. Depending on what skills they have. -crp

Any cards reference shields, beyond the attribute box?

Sorry, no.

Any personnel that cost 0 or 6?

There's one that can make himself cost 0 and one that can make another cost 0 (if your opponent lets you), but no printed 0s or 6s.

Any ships with Cloaking Device, or cards that affect ships with Cloaking Device?

A cloak is mention in a card's lore.

Any dilemmas that let you 'target' someone akin to Caretaker's Guests or Well-Prepared Defenses?

Charlie's favorite dilemma does.

Any card with a picture of Spot on it?

I don't even see someone with spots.

Any missions that work with both Vintner and K'mtar?

I don't even see one that works with either of them.

Any cards that do something with an entire hand, e.g. discard your whole hand or put opponent's hand on top of their deck?

Sorry, no.

Any personnel in an affiliation unusual for their species?

Nope.

Any cards that encourage you to play two HQs?

Quite the opposite, actually.

Any card with total attributes equal to its card number?

Wow. That's some busy work. Let me see... Carry the 4... Not even close.

Any card which can download a card which can download the original card?

Many. The most interresting might be this oneand this one.

Any dilemma that costs + something depending on certain conditions?

The opposite.

Any interrupt that goes somewhere other than discard pile after usage?

Only under the mission.

Any card which is predominantly green, other than a Romulan background?

The most green besides a Rommie is probably behind Picard on a dilemma featuring him.

Any personnel that return to hand to do something?

Lots.

Any card which affects the order of turns or win conditions?

John's new blog has a spoiler that gets a personnel into play out of the Play and Draw Cards Segment.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Any cards inspired/suggested by Make it So or Will of the COllective?

I remember being inspired by some of those cards, but I'm not sure that was when we were working on this set in full swing. I'm just not sure there. -richard

Two cards were designed by the runner's up of Make it So 2010. Another card was taken from an idea (the card now known as Isabella) proposed by Foreman, the winner of MiS2010. -crp

How many cards have lore? Of them, how many were written by the Committee as oposed to the Writers Guild of America?

I see two cards without lore and another two with TCC text.

How is the distribution of properties in this expansion?

By my count, 2 TOS, 2 TMP, 16 TNG, 26 DS9, 5 Voyager, and 2 Enterprise (or at least are sourced from those places; Charlie mentioned a mission was created by the Art Team). The last one (from Desperation) looks to me like it's from TNG, but I could be wrong.

How many cheater cards does the team have?

Some of them are cheater cards.

Which card is you baby and why?

The matching ship and commander. I asked for something like this specifically because I keep making bad decisions when I play certain cards. (I know, vague, right?) I like how the ship turned out. I don't know how useful it'll be, but it can only get more useful.

If I were to say that there were fifty-four cards in this set, how accurate would I be?

Um...2+2+16+26+5+2+1=54! Right on!

How are the 'round the corner' cards?

Simple, expensive, and fun.

Faithful Reader
South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

That is intended. A cure dilemma ALWAYS has its […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]

Thanks all. I have my handle as my name, I didn&rs[…]