Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 101 posts

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
I have a problem with the new card QUINN.
Does that mean your opponent can target your cards as well?
What if you choose one of yours, and one of your opponents?

It's a variant of Desperate Sacrifice. I could choose two of my opponent's events if I wanted; then my opponent could choose two more of his events. That means his four events are safe, and all of yours are gone. Or you could choose his, and he could choose yours. Or split them up. Lots of fun and interesting choices to be made with Quinn. But a hefty cost. -crp

I personally think it needs to be changed to say two events you command or something along those lines.

-Mike

By thsch (Thomas Schneider)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
ChairmanKoval wrote:I have a problem with the new card QUINN.

I personally think it needs to be changed to say two events you command or something along those lines.

-Mike
Well you can choose your opponents events, but since you choose the events you want to keep I don't see a problem with this.

And to avoid being send to the corner:
What card do you think will need the longest time till players have figured out its full potential?

Well, the "easy" answer is I Stand With My Shipmates. But I think that Persistent dilemmas are underrated and potentially very powerful, and that makes Isabella my dark horse. -crp

By ZodoJats
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
ChairmanKoval wrote:I have a problem with the new card QUINN.

-Mike
Yeah, not a problem, and if anything could allow for a funky play where you deliberately keep an opponent's event in play (like a Biogenic Weapon so they can't replay it on another mission or something).

What card went through the most versions and still survived in the set?

I'm guessing either Bajoran Resistance Cell or Diversity (which isn't called that anymore I can't remember the "real" name for it.) -crp

Where'd the Necessary Evil II theme come from? Just a random idea of Brad's or something?

All of the expansion themes come from the depths of Brad's brain. When he explained the idea of returning to the "lose 5 points" theme, I was sold. It's fun. -crp

Anything to help abandoned regions?

Not in Extreme Measures. I've pitched a Region-based expansion in the past though. Perhaps that's something the design teams might look at in the future. -crp

By mindmage (Ben Johnson)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Quinn
Q.
Order - Lose 5 points to make each player choose two events in play. All other events are destroyed.
Would you tell them I said 'I die not for myself but for you.' I know, I know. Enigmatic. Provocative. They'll understand. Well, goodbye to you all. Many thanks.
23 V 25

The way i read this is, each player chooses two events that will remain in play. if either player has other events in play they go to the discard pile. It hurts event heavy decks.

What does the Enterprise do? Does it still score points or have you finally given her a newer ability?

There's a list of unwritten "rules" posted in the Design area. One of them reads: "Ships named U.S.S. Enterprise should deal with points. I know we haven't always been true to this but..." Maybe you can track down someone who went to U.S. Nationals West in Chicago and ask them! -crp

Do we get the Sha Ka Ree planet mission to go with the barrier mission?

Not in Extreme Measures. Other designers tend to boo, hiss, and throw things at me when I bring up that movie. -crp
Second Edition Creative Manager
By Triumph (Jonathan)
 - Second Edition Creative Manager
 -  
Adventurer
I always enjoy the off-affiliation personnel! So Durango is cool (i.e. Troi is normally Federation). As I recall, that was a bit of a theme in Necessary Evil; did that influence the development of Durango or anyone else?

Durango was developed entirely by Brad and Conno, so I really can't speak to it. I do think it's neat that she's an off-affiliation personnel and that theme featured in Necessary Evil. -crp

Also, I thought we learned in Make It So that global effect personnel were...well, sketchy. Yet Durango can stop Opponent's security personnel no matter where she is. Why is that?

When I was a lowly music student my first year in college, I'd had a lot of "experience" arranging music. I always questioned my Music Theory TA and didn't understand why we had to learn and learn and learn rules that I knew for a fact composers broke all the time. Finally, frustrated, I went to the professor. He told me something I've never forgotten: "Before you can break the rules, you have to know the rules."

I think that was the primary point of Make it So - to teach the contestants the rules of the game. In general, and as a rule, broadcasting or global effect personnel are sketchy. But sometimes there's a place for them. And sometimes, that's the only way to get something done. -crp

By Chewie (Adam Hegarty)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
With the new Bajoran team, what attribute do you think will be most common among their mission selections?

Integrity followed closely by Strength. -crp

And which skill?

Anthropology or Security. -crp

If there was one personnel in this expansion that people will be most surprised to see, who would it be?

[NA] Deanna, probably. The Romulan is beastly. -crp

Which ship would be most surprising?

They're all good! -crp

By Peukon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Any [Dom] love in this set?

They get a solid way to score 5 points. They can make use of some of the support cards. But not a whole lot of love, not really. I think they're due for some, though. -crp

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Are there any cards in this set that are obvious improvements on old cards (in the same way that Genetronic Treatment is an improvement upon Emergency Treatment)?

You could argue that Quinn is an "improvement" over Desperate Sacrifice but I think they're different beasts. -crp

If so, could you say what the older card is?

Are there any cards that were perfect on their first incarnation, and remained unchanged through to the end?

That is really rare. Just about every card was tweaked or adjusted in some way. Quite a few of them just had minor corrections. -crp
I didn't look through them all, but Hate is word for word the same as the final version and Quinn only gained the Q keyword (from the A version of the test file).

Did Brad hand over his "secret formula" (for working out costs) for this set? If he did, who's got it now? If not, how did you find costing up cards without it?

All of the critical information (including all of the information previously held only by Brad) is safe and in the CC's hands. Backed up in multiple places. -crp

By nalan bal
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
So far in the talk about the new Bajoran Resistance team, we've heard about Kira, Surmak and seen Furel (who looks great BTW). Are there any new-to-2E Bajoran Resistance personnel?

Yes! Three, by my count. Including a non-unique, and someone for which we had to make up a name. -crp
Update: I was wrong! There are four Bajorans making their first appearance in 2E. -crp

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Deanna Troi is usually [Fed] [TNG] , but shows up as [NA] in Extreme Measures. Are there any other personnel who show up outside their normal affiliation in this set?

No, but there is a [Fed] peep who reappears that has a reporting icon other than you would expect. Does that count? -richard

By Enabran
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E Austrian National Second Runner-Up 2022
(crying out from the corner) do we get a non Changeling Odo in this set?

He was not the winner of One-True-Three, unfortunately. -richard
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Does the team get a 'recruitment' ability?

In fact, they have a card that includes the word 'recruitment' in the title. -richard

So teams will focus on those 'filiaitons that don't have any. And are not Klingon or headlined by a Shakespearean actor?

Teams are a good way to boost an affiliation. Klingons and TNG have been historically strong.

How many cards were split into two or more cards? Changed card types?

Sure. There's always stuff like that. Opaka's ability was originally an interrupt.

Were Children of Light put into the 'fix it later' or 'forget about it and move on with our lives' folder?

I hope more of a 'fix it later' folder. Charlie?
Definitely. When we can make them "not suck." -crp

What's the funniest story from working on this expansion?

There was the time I saw Charlie in the Chat Room. He "whispered" some comments about the expansion to me. Not knowing what private messages in the Chat Room were yet, I simply typed (whispers) before my reply. The room soon corrected my ignorance as our private conversation was not at all private.

Faithful Reader
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Hey guys,

In spite of our earlier plans, we've gone ahead and made an Extreme Measures release kit available in The Promenade. These kits take a lot of time and resources to put together (which is why we'd decided to discontinue them).

I hope that, if you're a TD, you'll schedule a release event and order a kit for your event. Likewise, if you're not a TD, please contact your TD and let him or her know you'd like to play in a release event!

-crp

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Does 'Law' show up on a non-personnel card?

Why, yes... -richard

Which card has a keyword that really makes that card better?

Any Bajoran Resistance personnel and Recruitment Tactics.

Any specific card from Necessary Evil that was an inspiration, other than the lose 5 points theme?

The card that became I Stand With My Shipmates was written by Brad, whom I believe was inspired by Standing Your Ground - so much so that he gave the card the playtest name of "Standing Our Points." I can't say for sure if this was his inspiration or not, but I know he is a big fan of "twisting" old game text in new ways. I was so confident about this I went out of my way to find a story/title that included "Stand" in the title. -crp

Suppose your opponent managed to get all personnel from the set together to attempt a Space mission. You play Kelvan: Show of Force, which two personnel would you pick, and which dilemma from EM would you like to play after that?

For a space mission, it would be hard. The skill matrix is pretty diverse. I guess I'd look at the mission requirements and see if I could hurt that. And Family is a good one to follow that up. If it were planet, however, I would pick Furel and Croden. I would follow it up with The Launching as the personnel would no longer have the skills (unless they cheated in some way).
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Does Odo appear on any cards in this set?

He appears thrice...and one on my favorite image of the set. -richard
For your spec list makers out there, he's on Broken Link, Peak Performance, and Flaw in the Plan. (And yes, those are in order.) -crp
Would that be Dilemma, Event and Interrupt?

Will Trelane remain a dummy answer from One True Three?

Faithful Reader
Last edited by Faithful Reader on Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]