Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
There are rules baked into the cards for more than two players (sometimes called 'multiplayer' by people). I find 3 players quite fun and it adds about 1/3rd to a 1/2 to the game time. I've also had an alright time with 4, but those can be significantly longer than a two player game. More than that and you have several players who virtually never interact and the game takes forever.

Essentially you sit in a triangle or square and have the player to your left give you dilemmas while you give dilemmas to the player on your right - dilemmas themselves tend to specify this too. In the event there are four players, there will be one player who you have no direct interaction with via dilemmas - but you will be able to engage in battle with them, or target them and their things with events, interrupts, and abilities.

Most people only ever play 2 player and there have only ever been 2 player tournaments under the CC (back in the old days Decipher did have rules for scoring 'multiplayer' tournaments). If you were wondering, multiplayer games work online via Lackey just as easily as 2 player games.

-  
I’ve finished my Enterprise deck and stumbled on three additional questions:

With Earth, Humanity's Home, it seems I do net get 10 points when finishing my first mission if it’s a space mission if an opponent finished a space mission before me, right? Makes selecting missions a bit tougher.

With Unexpected and similiarly worded dilemmas, does the personnel randomly chosen contribute their skills for the condition that checks if they are instead placed on their owners deck? The word ‘instead’ confuses me a little bit here.

With Nanite Attack, if the ship returns to HQ, is it repaired, and no one dies, or does the Nanite Attack still trigger?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Johannes Blank wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pm I’ve finished my Enterprise deck and stumbled on three additional questions:

With Earth, Humanity's Home, it seems I do net get 10 points when finishing my first mission if it’s a space mission if an opponent finished a space mission before me, right? Makes selecting missions a bit tougher.
That's true, but that's why Starfleet were give a couple of 'easy' space missions (Automated Repair Station and Navigate Minefield) plus access to a classic (Investigate Alien Probe). Failing that, just have your missions score 35/35/30, and it's not really a big deal if you don't get your extra 10.

Johannes Blank wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pmWith Unexpected and similiarly worded dilemmas, does the personnel randomly chosen contribute their skills for the condition that checks if they are instead placed on their owners deck? The word ‘instead’ confuses me a little bit here.
They do not contribute. They're stopped, then their teammates have to rally round and see if they have the skills afterwards. The 'instead' is there to show that they're not stopped, but something else has happened... instead.

Johannes Blank wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pmWith Nanite Attack, if the ship returns to HQ, is it repaired, and no one dies, or does the Nanite Attack still trigger?
It's up to the active player (the player whose turn it is), and they get to trigger "end of turn" game text in the order of their choosing. I would imagine they'd choose to end the turn and repair the ship, before giving the nanites the opportunity to trigger.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Danny wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:15 am
Johannes Blank wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 pmWith Nanite Attack, if the ship returns to HQ, is it repaired, and no one dies, or does the Nanite Attack still trigger?
It's up to the active player (the player whose turn it is), and they get to trigger "end of turn" game text in the order of their choosing. I would imagine they'd choose to end the turn and repair the ship, before giving the nanites the opportunity to trigger.
Is this correct? I thought Mandatory actions happened before Optional actions.

Even if I'm right though, the only people at real risk are those stopped aboard the ship during your turn, as you can beam unstopped people off the ship at your HQ prior to moving to end of turn actions.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Armus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:22 am Is this correct? I thought Mandatory actions happened before Optional actions.
Rulebook, Page 13 wrote:Next, you may complete any actions that happen “at the end of each of your turns.” Each of these actions may be performed only once per turn. You may perform them in any order.
Still, good to be sure on these things, rather than just winging it like I normally do.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
FIle this under "Why isn't this in the Rules by now?"...

Am I allowed to freely examine the cards beneath my Ferenginar?

This came up in a tourney recently and there is not a clear answer about it anywhere.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Cmdr Xym wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 pm FIle this under "Why isn't this in the Rules by now?"...

This came up in a tourney recently and there is not a clear answer about it anywhere.
I couldn't find anything addressing this question either. My thinking is that since the cards going under Ferenginar are placed face down, and we aren't allowed to freely examine face down cards, then we probably can't freely examine them any more than we can freely examine the face down cards in our draw deck.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
T-Ricks wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:21 pm
Cmdr Xym wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:38 pm FIle this under "Why isn't this in the Rules by now?"...

I couldn't find anything addressing this question either. My thinking is that since the cards going under Ferenginar are placed face down, and we aren't allowed to freely examine face down cards, then we probably can't freely examine them any more than we can freely examine the face down cards in our draw deck.
At the same time, certain cards necessitate you using certain cards beneath Ferenginar. That implies you'd have to make informed decisions about choosing those cards (thus, being able to look).
Director of Second Edition
By tjark
 - Director of Second Edition
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E German National Second Runner-Up 2022
2E Vandros IV Regional Champion 2023
T-Ricks wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:15 pm Has anyone taken over the 2E rules guru position yet?
Amber has tried to find a successor. Unfortunatly without success.
I have two people on the list to ask, then i ll go for public announcement.

This situation is very very unsatisfactory - not to say critical, and has top priority,

Tj
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
As some attentive players have noticed, there's another recent addition to the rules tool (apparently those show up on the What's New page):

"When... facing a dilemma"
Response actions triggered "When... facing a dilemma" can only be used once per dilemma per copy of the card.

For example, Psychological Pressure will only require an opponent to discard one card from hand per dilemma, regardless as to how many skills are used. If there are two copies of Psychological Pressure in play, each one individually can only require the opponent to discard one card from hand per dilemma, for a total of two cards discarded.

Interrupts with a "when... facing a dilemma" trigger may only have their effect once per dilemma, but two copies of the same interrupt can be played during the same dilemma to produce that same effect twice. For example, Rule of Acquisition #33 can be played twice while your Ferengi personnel are facing Pitching In to replace both Leadership and Security with 3 Acquisition.
Note: Unlike the Ferenginar entry, this entry is not actually a new ruling (see, for example, this thread from 2011). However, that ruling was never placed anywhere visible and, since Psychological Pressure in particular doesn't work as it was clearly intended under the current rules, a rules tool entry could probably help out.
 -  
Community Contributor
There is a new entry in the rules tool for More of Gravy Than of Grave and other "the skills on that/those personnel" dilemmas:
When a dilemma refers to "the skills on that/those personnel", it refers to all levels of the skills on those personnel. For example, when Davies, Pran Tainer, and Shelby are selected by More of Gravy than of Grave, the dilemma requires Exobiology, 4 Geology, Leadership, Officer, 2 Physics, Programming, 2 Science, and Security from the unselected personnel.
 -  
Community Contributor
The Mission Value Changes rules tool entry has been updated:
Mission Value Changes wrote:If a card alters the point value of a mission (by changing the amount of points that the mission is "worth"), any cards that reference that value will use the new amount.
The goal here is to make it more clear that "worth" is the key word when it comes to changing the value of missions. The previous wording of the entry left it unclear whether the modal text on Destroy Transwarp Hub changed the value of the mission for the duration of the attempt.

With the entry's new wording, it should be more clear that the absence of the word "worth" means that Destroy Transwarp Hub is still a 50-point mission during an attempt using the modal text; you'll just get only 35 points when you do complete it. (It is my understanding that this reading is how most players understood it anyways.)

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
edgeofhearing wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:37 am The Mission Value Changes rules tool entry has been updated:
Mission Value Changes wrote:If a card alters the point value of a mission (by changing the amount of points that the mission is "worth"), any cards that reference that value will use the new amount.
The goal here is to make it more clear that "worth" is the key word when it comes to changing the value of missions. The previous wording of the entry left it unclear whether the modal text on Destroy Transwarp Hub changed the value of the mission for the duration of the attempt.

With the entry's new wording, it should be more clear that the absence of the word "worth" means that Destroy Transwarp Hub is still a 50-point mission during an attempt using the modal text; you'll just get only 35 points when you do complete it. (It is my understanding that this reading is how most players understood it anyways.)
:thumbsup:
1EFQ: Game of two halves

Or maybe keep your unsolicited snark to yo[…]

Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]