Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Second Edition drastically improved the persona rules over First Edition by having a singular title bar, allowing multiple versions of the character to exist with different subtitles and stories. One of the strengths of having multiple versions of a character is that it allows design to make more focused cards; but, one could also argue it's been overdone.

What do you guys think about the creation of new versions of existing characters? When should a new personnel be a new character instead of a new persona of an existing character? How often (in general) should new versions of existing characters be made? When should Design make a new persona?

I'm very eager to hear your thoughts on this topic design's been talking about for years.

-crp
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
The only time we should have a different character vs. a different persona is if the different character is AU. I always thought you should be able to have Kira and The Intendant in play together. I don't really want to see three each of "Captain Picard" (normal universe) and Jean-Luc Picard in the same deck. It feels like a skeezy way to get around the deck limitation rules.

Sent through subspace from the U.S.S. Enterprise.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
It would need to be exercised carefully but I would say that at any time where it would be realistic in the trek sense for the characters to be face to face would be appropriate but this would have to be carefully balanced.

The area where I could see the most potential for this would be pulling hologram characters of main line persona's into the game.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Mogor wrote:It would need to be exercised carefully but I would say that at any time where it would be realistic in the trek sense for the characters to be face to face would be appropriate but this would have to be carefully balanced.

The area where I could see the most potential for this would be pulling hologram characters of main line persona's into the game.
There is precedent for that.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
jadziadax8 wrote:
Mogor wrote:It would need to be exercised carefully but I would say that at any time where it would be realistic in the trek sense for the characters to be face to face would be appropriate but this would have to be carefully balanced.

There is precedent for that.

I'm really not sure this example is a good argument for anything given the (NOT) Popular Opinion of the cards in question. :P
Director of First Edition
By MidnightLich (Charlie Plaine)
 - Director of First Edition
 -  
Prophet
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my original question. Let's take this theoretical new card design has made:
[Fed] 3 •admiral butthead
[Cmd] [E] Human
•Intelligence •Officer •Security •Treachery
Admiral. When this personnel is about to be stopped by a dilemma, you may discard a card from hand to prevent that.
[INTEGRITY 4] [CUNNING 6] [STRENGTH 5]
Now, barring any specific story requirements, would you prefer this card become a new version of Leyton, or someone else we don't have in the game?

(Obviously the example I'm using isn't quite the same, because the inclusion of the Paranoia keyword severely limits the story options available, but let's run with the above theoretical example instead.)

When should we make new versions of existing characters? And when should we made new characters?

-crp

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
New version of the same persona when having the ability on a new character would cause bad interactions, preferably done in such a way that you dont have to mark the card as when you command x persona the previous ability doesnt work

By Frool (Mr Slade)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
I don't mind either way. My preference would be for which ever makes sense Trek-wise.

If you are playing Bajoran, then one of the Kira's will probably be in your deck and then you get to play with one of the major characters making it feel like you're playing a Trek game rather than a card game.

By nalan bal
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
There are still hundreds of characters from Trek that don't have a card made yet, so all things being equal I'd prefer to see new characters rather than new personae of existing ones. But that's just my gut reaction.

If the existing version(s) of the character isn't very good or doesn't see much play, I'm all for a new version. If the only DS9 Worf was the premier one, I doubt we'd see Worf in many decks. Or if there's a good storyline ability that fits with a main character and would be hard to justify on a one-episode wonder, or a personae built for a specific deck, or in a different decktype like a new Khan for the GE deck or a TNG Bashir from the episode he worked with Data. But those should be the exceptions - generic abilities shouldn't be thrown on new versions of existing people just to give it name value.

If I had to sum up my views in one sentence it would be this: no more Kiras! Every time I build a Bajoran deck I have to decide which one I want to use. And half of them have abilities that really could go on someone besides Kira.

my :twocents:
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
MidnightLich wrote: Now, barring any specific story requirements, would you prefer this card become a new version of Leyton, or someone else we don't have in the game?
With that specific example, there are enough evil admirals in universe that I personally wold prefer a brand new persona, but we are venturing into a case by case basis.

It just depends on how quickly you want to run through your already shallow pool. It's almost impossible to make a newly recognizable personnel for the Maquis and the pool of Terok Nor was all but exhausted after the Call to Arms.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Faithful Reader wrote:...but we are venturing into a case by case basis.
I think that's exactly how it needs to be handled. I say, make it the personnel who makes the most sense, and if that means a relatively minor characters gets a second version, that's fine.
Faithful Reader wrote:It just depends on how quickly you want to run through your already shallow pool. It's almost impossible to make a newly recognizable personnel for the Maquis and the pool of Terok Nor was all but exhausted after the Call to Arms.
Without venturing too much into dream card territory, I believe there are ways to open up both of those headquaters to more personnel, if we so desire.

By Cersan
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E European Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
2E Russian National Second Runner-Up 2016
I don't like when my deck consists of many "unnamed" guys. It's a Star Trek and i want to play Picard and Ricker. But surely there is danger of persona not seeing play being worse than previous one, or strictly better thus blocking previous. So balance should be maintained, but i'm for the starpower.

By bortz65
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
What do you guys think about the creation of new versions of existing characters?

I'm for it.

When should a new personnel be a new character instead of a new persona of an existing character?

If there are several persona of a character (like Jean-Luc Picard) then there should be a strong reason for making another. New Personas of Personnel that have a one or two other versions should be given priority (e.g. Pavel A. Chekov, Vash, or Seska.

How often (in general) should new versions of existing characters be made?

Anytime you want to draw attention to a expansion stick in some "Main" Personnel or if you are doing a theme and that Personnel is important to that theme like Decipher did for the the DS9 tribbles .

When should Design make a new persona?

Anytime you want. Heck, even if you want to do a New Kira go for it if the idea is really good.

I'm very eager to hear your thoughts on this topic design's been talking about for years.

What I would like is a way to make the less useful Persona better. Personnel that don't see much play and could be as old as Jean-Luc Picard, Argo Pilot or as new as Neelix, Grand Proxy . If some other cards were made to make the non-useful Personas better that would be great.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I think the main crew should only get new versions when they're part of a new theme/done together (for example a new [Voy] theme implemented among the crew members; abilities not too powerful on their own, but working together nicely), or when it really makes sense for the set as a one off (I could see a Miles O'Brien, the Siray in a religious themed set for example).

Otherwise, I like getting second or third personas. It might be difficult to balance them so their power is about the same as a previous version, but if that works I think it's good that it forces people to make choices (but for Kira that is overdone :-) )

Jared FW Kris 100-35

The number of dilemmas that get put on a ship is[…]

South Dakota Regional May 18th

Likely I should be able to attend. Just need the[…]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]