Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 250 posts
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
2E Deep Space 9 Regional Champion 2023
Armus wrote:
Gorgo Primus wrote:I know it has nothing to do with game balance, but is anyone on the errata team interested in removing the 'talkie' bit from Rule of Acquisition #33? That is, removing the text ", say 'It never hurts to suck up to the Boss'" from the card text.

I don't know about offline, but everyone I know just ignores that part and treats it like a normal interrupt without that line, with no loss to gameplay. I wouldn't want to force people to say the line to play the card (or be forced myself) as I think talkies are just bad game design in the first place, but it also feels unhealthy to have a single card in the game where everyone(?) understands that that particular written 'cost' to play can be happily ignored everytime.

I know its a super small thing, but I thought it worthwhile to bring it up.
Sounds to me like somebody just doesn't like fun... :P
I love talkies. There need to be more. I want Klingon Death Yell for 2E.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
In my opinion, making players embarrass themselves in order gain competitive advantages in games is invariably far more fun for designers than players. There is a reason why charades is an acquired taste. If 'Klingon Death Yell' was in 2E and became anything close to a requirement to have a competitive Klingon deck, I'd just never play them again. Right now Rule #33 is the only card of its kind in 2E and its just a simple phrase so I don't terribly mind it, but that card? Jeeze... :? Choosing to roleplay a bit on your own accord when you play is one thing, but forcing others to embarrass themselves in order to play a ccg is another. On a related aside, if talkies became the norm in 2E (which I'm thankfully doubtful of) that would also probably be the nail in the coffin of trying to get my MTG friends interested in it.

:twocents:

Anyways I feel I'm sidetracking the thread with this when I only meant to suggest an errata or clarification to a specific card, so I'll leave it there.

By Peers
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You mean, people don't look at their hand, smirk, and say "It never hurts to suck up to the boss" as they flip the interrupt that lets them breeze past a killer dilemma and win the game?

Remember, it's not being unsportsmanlike if the rules demand it.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Peers wrote:
Remember, it's not being unsportsmanlike if the rules demand it.
Johannes knocked me out of Worlds with it, while being his usual gentleman self.

If fact, his combo with Happy Zek was so sweet I legitimately felt good after a loss. Instead of losing to Denial, or Random Selection Gods, I lost because somebody else had better kung-fu. It was refreshing.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:
monty42 wrote:I would encourage the errata team to have a look at this.

Even though it's a nifty little trick, I don't think the card is being used the way it was intended to.

Speed solvers using Guinan and PP to generate 15 bonus points and the go AWC 3 times cannot be what this card was originally envisioned for.

-Ben
No need for speculation, I fucked up. Of all people, I made the mistake of only thinking of the 'benign' use of the card, and not anticipating what Tier-1 players would do with it.
Given the results from the Chicago event, it's clear that this is a thing.

Proposed easy fix:
Temporal. When an opponent scores 5 or more points from a card he or she owns, if he or she has not completed a mission, score 5 points.

Order - Destroy an opponent's Temporal event.
If you want to argue that no change is needed, that's fine, but if you want to curb Guinan abuse while maintaining the original defensive intent of the card, this strikes me as a clean way to do it.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:Sykes, do I come to your work and slap the dick out of your mouth? Let Josh do his job.
Hey, I'm not saying an errata is needed per se, just how it would read if you hadn't fucked up in the first place (to use your words).

I guess this goes to the larger Errata debate:. Should it be Errata's job to fix design fuck-ups or limit their efforts to clearly broken cards? Because this is a clear test case

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:Here we go again. Corbett loses a game and here comes errata . Didn't someone design a bunch of anti dual-HQ cards before? LOL!
I posted it on the Errata Team boards after Charlotte, but sure, whatever story works.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:
Naetor wrote:Here we go again. Corbett loses a game and here comes errata . Didn't someone design a bunch of anti dual-HQ cards before? LOL!
I posted it on the Errata Team boards after Charlotte, but sure, whatever story works.
But your story could have been so much better!

Imagine it. The #1 player in the world sits down from you playing a seemingly unbeatable deck. When he tries to play Preposterous Plan, you reveal Miranda O\'Brien, Proud Descendant; when he tries to play At What Cost?, you reveal Brota, Son of Mogh. You go on to become US Champion, a real title. Your fans praise your design talent, while your critics are forced to acknowledge your greatness. You usher in a new era of players using these Children of Time cards, and your crusade against dual HQ ends in triumph!

Instead, we get the same retold story. You lose, errata next. The JJ Abrams of trek CCG.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:Is there going to be errata before continental, which is less than a month away? If so, please let us know ASAP. Thanks.
As it currently stands, it does not look likely there will be any.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I would love to see Jaeger Bomb and anti-Jaeger Bomb (whatever that means) in the same event played by tier one players. That would definitely be a useful data point for the errata team to use in their deliberations.
Vulcan Lander and its ability

What constrains this strategy is the number of c[…]

Ignoring point losses & Timing

I would be interested in the answer to this as wel[…]

Greetings 'trek fans! As discussed in our Februar[…]

1EFQ: Game of two halves

First: Rescue Captives is OP, there should[…]