Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 250 posts

By pschrader
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
2E American National Runner-Up 2023
TyKajada wrote:
prylardurden wrote:
KillerB wrote:Those first three aren't viable. Send my regards to "Kevin and Mandy". :)

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
I'm a fan of the idea of 'Kevin, Mandy and Crystal'. Just wish they were executed slightly better. Live and learn.

I think Kevin and Mandy are just fine. There should be a certain risk in playing broadband int/event disruption. That's the price you pay for having these cards available to all decks.
Grav Trap in this line is OP because the cost is lame (destroy some junk).
Design shouldn't have made Kevin and Mandy undesirable by creating new cheaper event/int prevention.
Here's the thing: If the Trek is going to have game-breaking Interrupts (e.g., Unrelenting, Homeward Bound, Central Command, Ruling Council) then there needs to be a healthy way for all affiliations to counter them. The problem with Kevin and Mandy is the 5 point cost. If every affiliation had an easy to way to drum up these points then they'd be fine, but that's not the case. Maybe if design had made it so that your Opponent scores 5 points when you play them, they'd be fine, but that's not the case. Instead, we're stuck with two basically useless interrupt/event prevention cards with Grav-Plating Trap providing the only reliable prevention card that anyone can use. I'd be in favor of every affiliation having a flavored prevention card, but only one.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
The Errata Team will be adding Preposterous Plan to the watchlist. The interaction of using your own cards to trigger the condition may not have been the intent.

Community thoughts regarding this issue?

Thank you in advance for any constructive input.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I would encourage the errata team to have a look at this.

Even though it's a nifty little trick, I don't think the card is being used the way it was intended to.

Speed solvers using Guinan and PP to generate 15 bonus points and the go AWC 3 times cannot be what this card was originally envisioned for.

-Ben

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
monty42 wrote:I would encourage the errata team to have a look at this.

Even though it's a nifty little trick, I don't think the card is being used the way it was intended to.

Speed solvers using Guinan and PP to generate 15 bonus points and the go AWC 3 times cannot be what this card was originally envisioned for.

-Ben
No need for speculation, I fucked up. Of all people, I made the mistake of only thinking of the 'benign' use of the card, and not anticipating what Tier-1 players would do with it.

By CaptMDKirk (Matt Kirk)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Architect
I think all you need to do is slap a once each turn clause on PP akin to Torture.

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I know it has nothing to do with game balance, but is anyone on the errata team interested in removing the 'talkie' bit from Rule of Acquisition #33? That is, removing the text ", say 'It never hurts to suck up to the Boss'" from the card text.

I don't know about offline, but everyone I know just ignores that part and treats it like a normal interrupt without that line, with no loss to gameplay. I wouldn't want to force people to say the line to play the card (or be forced myself) as I think talkies are just bad game design in the first place, but it also feels unhealthy to have a single card in the game where everyone(?) understands that that particular written 'cost' to play can be happily ignored everytime.

I know its a super small thing, but I thought it worthwhile to bring it up.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Gorgo Primus wrote:I know it has nothing to do with game balance, but is anyone on the errata team interested in removing the 'talkie' bit from Rule of Acquisition #33? That is, removing the text ", say 'It never hurts to suck up to the Boss'" from the card text.

I don't know about offline, but everyone I know just ignores that part and treats it like a normal interrupt without that line, with no loss to gameplay. I wouldn't want to force people to say the line to play the card (or be forced myself) as I think talkies are just bad game design in the first place, but it also feels unhealthy to have a single card in the game where everyone(?) understands that that particular written 'cost' to play can be happily ignored everytime.

Sounds to me like somebody just doesn't like fun... :P

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Armus wrote:
Gorgo Primus wrote:I know it has nothing to do with game balance, but is anyone on the errata team interested in removing the 'talkie' bit from Rule of Acquisition #33? That is, removing the text ", say 'It never hurts to suck up to the Boss'" from the card text.

Sounds to me like somebody just doesn't like fun... :P
OR don't let them play it if they don't say it. playing a card wrongly is different from needing errata imho

By Gorgo Primus (Benjamin Rostoker)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If playing a card 'correctly' has no gameplay difference to playing it 'wrong', and makes some players more comfortable then why not make the card reflect its actual use? Anyways, I've brought it up here so now its in the hands of the Errata team. If they decide the solution is to rule/confirm that the card effect is negated/has no effect if someone forgets/refuses to say the phrase I'll think them silly and disagree, but that is one route they can take to deal with this.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I think Preposterous Plan is fine, there are plenty of cards that counter interrupts.

It's been over 3 years, so not sure of anything, but think this was brought up in testing? And if it was, the cards like Grav/Ben Sisko/etc were brought up - interrupts can be good because they can be prevented. Otherwise there are other things which would be good to look at.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
CaptMDKirk wrote:I think all you need to do is slap a once each turn clause on PP akin to Torture.
I hate "once each turn" on an interrupt. And I'm not sure why.

For Cardassia! Never sees play for a reason.

If you put this on an interrupt it's kinda saying that it might be overpowered. But then the 'once each turn' clause keeps it from getting played.

It's a lose-lose. Preposterous Plan is an easy fix.

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.