Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bortz65
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
[Fed] 2 •Kodos the Executioner, "Anton Karidian"
[TOS] [Pa] Human
•Anthropology •Biology •Leadership •Programming •2 Treachery
You may play this personnel at cost +3 to search your dilemma pile for up to three copies of The Conscience of the King and place them on your opponent's missions. Then, shuffle and replace your dilemma pile.
"There was another part I once played long ago."
Integrity 2 Cunning 6 Strength 5
38 V 28

https://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?cardID=3989

Positives: 2 Cost for 5 Skills and Attributes. Possibility of playing him at Cost +3 to search Dilemma pile for 3 copies of The Conscience of the King and placing them on Opponent's Missions.

Negatives: Low Integrity. No Staffing Icon. Starfleet Federation is the only Affiliation that can use his Ability.

Thoughts: If the Player is using Starfleet Federation and lots of Planet/Space Dilemmas then this is a great Personnel to throw into decks. Not only does he download The Conscience of the King, but he places all three copies on Opponent's Missions, which would make Planet/Space Dilemmas cheap and much more powerful. Even making those Dilemmas 1 Cost cheaper is a huge advantage. I suppose, it's technically possible to place all three on one Mission which could be big trouble for the Opponent. If the Player wants to use him for his Skills it's good to have the option of just playing him for 2 Cost. He's certainly good for the Investigate Alien Probe or Sha Ka Ree, Quest for Infinite Knowledge Missions. He's a 8 out of 10.

Notes: While "The Conscience of the King" isn't as highly regarded as some Original Series episodes (too talky, not enough action,) but there are some very important things going on in this episode. It is the last produced OS episode appearance of Grace Lee Whitney as Rand. The second and last appearance of Bruce Hyde as Riley. And the first episode that gives Leslie (Ed Paskey) his name (really. . . That dude was in 60 episodes??. . .)

Most importantly it establishes a horrific backstory for Kirk. Now, if we go by series continuity Kirk is 33 or 34 at this point. Making him 13 or 14 at the time of the Tarsus IV events and the Kevin Riley character would probably been 6, or so at most.

The Tarsus IV events are so mysterious. How did Kirk get there? Were his parents and/or brother there as well? What about the other 4000 survivors? Why only were 9 people listed that could identify Kodos? (When there were clearly records of what Kodos looked and sounded like.) Were they present as 9 key witnesses when Kodos gave the orders for the execution of 4000 people? Who was Thomas Leighton to Kirk? He was one of the 9 and obviously kept in touch with Kirk. How did Kirk not seem to know, Kevin Riley one of his own crewmen, was one of the 9? This was a terrible occurrence, yet is never mentioned again, (yeah-I know episode reset.) It can be assumed to never have happened in the new Kelvin timeline. Was this why Kirk was so serious as a cadet? I know most people care about other aspects of Trek, but this is super interesting to me.

By bortz65
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:Did the Hunger Games rip off this story? I think it did.... somebody needs to sue somebody...
It's a kind of mystery and hunting war criminals tale. The story was written 20 years after the end of WW II and there was some of that stuff going on with the hunt for Mengele and his ilk in the news of that time.

Yeah, I know you're kidding about the Hunger Games.

I went and watched the sfdebris video. It's well thought out. I would like to know if the original Star Trek showrunners remembered the Tarsus IV stuff and kept Kirk's personality consistent with those events, or if it's just us viewers drawing connections to something that was unrelated chance.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
bortz65 wrote: I went and watched the sfdebris video. It's well thought out. I would like to know if the original Star Trek showrunners remembered the Tarsus IV stuff and kept Kirk's personality consistent with those events, or if it's just us viewers drawing connections to something that was unrelated chance.
Probably more the latter than the former, but that could have been in the show notes or Shatner's interpretation. The muses can work in mysterious ways.

It does nicely explain the difference in Kirks though doesn't it. :wink:

Oh and in case you're wondering, he did review the episode too.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
KillerB wrote:Kudos' story would've been better then any trek episode or movie probably.
If only there were some prequel coming out specifically set about a decade or so prior to TOS that could potentially explain more...

By vlasopes
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E Czech National Champion 2011
Faithful Reader wrote:
KillerB wrote:Kudos' story would've been better then any trek episode or movie probably.
If only there were some prequel coming out specifically set about a decade or so prior to TOS that could potentially explain more...
Be careful what you wish for...
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
In the space of writing this post I completely changed my opinion on this.

Awesome idea for *a* card, but I'm not really a fan of TOS being permanently good at everything and then still getting new toys. and I'm really excited at the possibility of building a good TOS deck that isn't ACE/ALC focused. Much better for newbies who want to TOS.

By Neelix (Scott Baughman)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
  Trek Masters 2E Champion 2024
This card is so amazing. I can't wait to play with it. 10 out of 10 for me. And it brings some sexy back for Conscience of the King!

good times...(for us as players, I mean, obviously not for Kirk and Co. in dealing with Kodos...)

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]