Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
I considered Salvage Borg Ship myself. Right now, I'm deciding between:

MISSION SET A
[P] Salvage Borg Ship (35)
[P] Retrieve Materiel (30)
[S] Automated Repair Station (30)
[S] Collapse Anti-Time Anomaly (35)

-AND-

MISSION SET B
[P] Secure Strategic Base (30)
[P] Retrieve Materiel (30)
[S] Automated Repair Station (30)
[S] Eliminate Sphere Network (40)

I'm leaning toward MISSION SET B for two reasons. The first is that, if the opponent has no point-reducing shenanigans, and if the player playing Starfleet completes a space mission first for the ten-point bonus, then three 30-point missions can be completed. The second is that, if the opponent does get a Phoenix or Causal Recursion to trigger, at least the Starfleet player has a chance to score 110 points from three missions, assuming he or she completes a space mission first.

Other thoughts?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
dlacoste wrote:Other thoughts?
Of the two, I prefer Set B. I don't think you've got enough Medical in there to justify attempting a mission with it (but I base that on my style of play).
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Fleet Admiral
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
dlacoste wrote:...Other thoughts?
I'm not following... I wrote out a list of missions that could be used to replace Escape Gulag in the article, given the lack of available Starfleet Intel that would be needed for that mission.

I was unaware we were looking to completely change the mission set (and thus very likely the people) in the deck being built for this exercise. Are we trying to edit this article or revise it completely here? Either way, this probably could've been looked at a little longer before being published to avoid this conversation completely, but I digress. :P

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
That's fair criticism, though I'm not sure that to change two missions is to "completely change the mission set," especially given how careful we're being in selecting those missions to be as compatible with the deck as possible.

Thank you for weighing in on this issue, Kris. I'll think about it over the weekend and (likely) update the article on Monday. Parts 7, 8 and 9 won't be too far behind! Hazzah! :D

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
The deck is serving many masters, the most important of which is that it was designed to be played against the other starter decks (I've just realised this may not get mentioned until part 7). It doesnt need lots of a particular skill because the starter deck dilemmas don't often kill anyone.

When I updated the article, I revised the deck to include cards from Dangerous Missions onwards. This increased the overall level of mission skills in the deck, with the exception of Intelligence. For the reason mention above, I felt this was acceptable. I still do. :twocents:

By RedDwarf (Unjustly Banned)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Part 7 - Provisioning Your Draw Deck - by Chris Heard has now been published.

This completes the draw deck and missions of our Starfleet sample deck. Part 8 will guide us through the creation of a straightforward but effective dilemma pile.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
RedDwarf wrote: This completes the draw deck and missions of our Starfleet sample deck. Part 8 will guide us through the creation of a straightforward but effective dilemma pile.
Part 8 is up now, and I have 1 comment. In the article it states "Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this dilemma pile includes easy-to-obtain cards. The pile below requires no rare or premium cards, so you should have little trouble acquiring them."

I agree with the fact that none of the dilemmas are rare, but I do find it difficult to beleive that it will be easy for new players to get their hands on Backroom Dealings, or A Royal Hunt. Both of these are from Necessary evil. The only reason I don't include Guess who's Coming to dinner is that it has been eratted, so a new player can just print it out. I would say that Backroom dealings should be replaced with and that a royal hunt could be replaced with Crew advancment.
Are the replacments as good? No. Are they much easier to get a copy of? Yes.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
I believe one of the design goals was to have twenty different dilemmas. How about Distraction instead of Back Room Dealings? I think Crew Advancement is a reasonably-close approximation to A Royal Hunt.

Thank you for the suggestions.

By Foreman
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
dlacoste wrote:I believe one of the design goals was to have twenty different dilemmas. How about Distraction instead of Back Room Dealings? I think Crew Advancement is a reasonably-close approximation to A Royal Hunt.

Thank you for the suggestions.
I think 20 different dilemmas is a good idea just to expose a new player to whats out there.

I suggested crew advancement because I figured you were trying to get a player exposed to consume dilemmas.

Distraction is a good choice instead of back room dealings. Maybe temptation would be a good one too since it would combo nicely with guess who's coming. Although it costs 3 instead of 2.

By Peukon
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Indeed an excelent series of articles. Everone should read them, even hardend players. They have inspired me to put together and Star Trek CCG event here in Denmark to teach new players the game.

Thanks so much :)

I know that, when this was ruled, it was intended[…]

Deck Design Strategy

I agree with @stressedoutatumc . The way I like[…]

I get the FL 100-0....game over in 10 minutes due […]

The deck qualifies, but the tournament currently[…]