Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bortz65
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Community Contributor
[D] 2 Xenophobic Outburst
Randomly select three personnel. If each personnel is a different affiliation, they are killed. Otherwise, choose one of those personnel to be stopped.
"You are opening the children's minds to blasphemy, and I cannot permit it to continue."
46 V 6

https://www.trekcc.org/2e/index.php?cardID=4211

Positives: Dual. 2 Cost. Could stop a Personnel Or could kill three Personnel.

Negatives: Opponent gets to choose the stopped Personnel. To get the three kills all three selected have to be different Affiliations.

Thoughts: It's nice to have a Dual 2 Cost Dilemma that will always stop some Personnel. The three kill option is only occasionally go off against mostly Deep Space Nine, Terok Nor, and some dual headquarters decks. Giving the Opponent a choice is always a minus, but this is probably how this got to be 2 Cost. Still their options are only limited to those chosen which can pit them in a bit of a bind. It's Okay with a 7 out of 10.

Picture: I usually don't discuss the picture since it's irrelevant to game play. . . but a picture of random garbage from an explosion? That doesn't work. I think this is from a DS9 Circle episode, but that's only a guess based on the quote.
Last edited by bortz65 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
This is way too situational. Even with it's "else/stop" function, it's weak because the opponent can choose the stop.

It's at best a 3/10 for me.

TK

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
bosskamiura wrote:This is way too situational. Even with it's "else/stop" function, it's weak because the opponent can choose the stop.

It's at best a 3/10 for me.
Depends on the local meta. You’re likely to get two affiliations with Non-Aligned however, only DS9, Terok Nor, KCA and Archaeology-focused decks are the most likely to have over 2 affiliation (though Voyager and TNG do have multi-affiliations with their icons, too).
First Edition Art Manager
By jjh (Johnny Holeva)
 - First Edition Art Manager
 -  
The gambler in me likes this one.

Some risk, high reward.

Come on TK - It's fun!

(says the guy who LOVES the unpredictable gamble of Repressed Message)

I like it better than Pat too! 8/10 on the Fun Scale.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
bosskamiura wrote:This is way too situational.
That being said, you know in a turn whether or not you can use Moral Choice/ Discommendation/ etc. Your opponent might sneak in another affiliation later in the game through Loren III or somesuch. There's lots of ways to intermingle affiliations in this game. Putting one in your deck is not a no-brainer (those are bad cards), but the odds are generally in your favor.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
I've yet to see this mythical Loren III deck.

If 'situational' is a negative word how about: choices.

When did we forget that deckbuilding was supposed to be about making choices?

I know that's dead in 1E OTF and was dying in 2E from 75+ card decks that can download everything, but Design should be challenging players into making tough choices. Not making it easy with generic cards that go in every deck.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
KillerB wrote:I've yet to see this mythical Loren III deck.
I made one right after it came out. It was fun to play, but definitely Tier 3 in terms of winning anything.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
jjh wrote:The gambler in me likes this one.

Some risk, high reward.

Come on TK - It's fun!

(says the guy who LOVES the unpredictable gamble of Repressed Message)

I like it better than Pat too! 8/10 on the Fun Scale.
Ha!

I remember that Repressed Message move of yours. It WAS always fun and somehow, seemed to work more times than not.

TK
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:If 'situational' is a negative word how about: choices.

That’s right. It’s going to be my choice to not stock this.

TK

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:
KillerB wrote:If 'situational' is a negative word how about: choices.

That’s right. It’s going to be my choice to not stock this.

TK
If my meta were the Ashes of the Capitol I wouldn't either. Arby's is a sad place with Charlie gone...

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
If your opponent is playing exactly 3 affiliations with an equal proportion of personnel of all affiliations, there is a 22% chance (theoretical) of getting this to trigger. Less the more disproportionate the affiliations are. 38% with 4 affiliations.

Pretty high roll.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Naetor.Ret wrote:If your opponent is playing exactly 3 affiliations with an equal proportion of personnel of all affiliations, there is a 22% chance (theoretical) of getting this to trigger. Less the more disproportionate the affiliations are. 38% with 4 affiliations.

Pretty high roll.
Never tell me the odds.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
KillerB wrote:I've yet to see this mythical Loren III deck.

If 'situational' is a negative word how about: choices.

I know that's dead in 1E OTF and was dying in 2E from 75+ card decks that can download everything, but Design should be challenging players into making tough choices. Not making it easy with generic cards that go in every deck.
If you aren't making choices in building a 1E OTF deck then you don't know wtf you're doing.

Choices and situational are the same thing. This card is too situational, that means it's not a hard choice, barely a choice at all. Might be decent if it was three species instead of affiliation.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
There are few effective high roll dilemmas. This could be one, but the clause about gaining the choice stop hurts it. It's kind of a way to hedge against your own high roll, and as a result makes it less effective/overcosts on either side of the roll. If this was 0 or 1 cost, with no stop in it, it would be better at what it is designed to do.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
Naetor.Ret wrote:There are few effective high roll dilemmas. This could be one, but the clause about gaining the choice stop hurts it. It's kind of a way to hedge against your own high roll, and as a result makes it less effective/overcosts on either side of the roll. If this was 0 or 1 cost, with no stop in it, it would be better at what it is designed to do.
Between you and Johnny there's no winning for Design.
Is Sedis a captain?

P'Jem Sanctuary can also DL Sopek .

Virtual Promos 2E

What is the status of promos 0 VP 353, 0 VP 354, a[…]

Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]