Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
This is the first post in what I hope will be a new series. I suck at deckbuilding and need help making mine better. I will try to submit a deck a week for your perusal. Tell me what you think is good and bad about my builds. This week I will kick things off with a Romulan capture deck I built with neuTain.

Brainwashing is In!

I've built variants on this deck before and have had moderate success with it. This one never seems to get off the ground. I always find myself floundering on mission attempts. Oh, and I have never gotten Tain to work. So, please, Make My Deck Better.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
If I were to go this route (naively), I'd focus heavily on getting the Goraxus out early and capturing 2 personnel at a time with The Enterprise Incident. Cretak is a nice card to get a specific D'deridex out.

I think running out the GUYS/P&P combo is an easy trick to fall for. Really, you just want to brainwash twice -- why not just have your deck go to 110 points since you're already running 40-point Cardassia IV; 35 each from 2 other missions should be doable.

More capture can be had if you can get Tain at your opponent's mission attempt. You're already playing T'met and the Serrola; Imperial Entanglements seems good.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
I agree with Nate's GUYS/P&P take somewhat but if you're playing that many core events I'd still keep 1 copy of each for Power Shifting the last mission or two and countering point loss [Dom] but build the mission set to get 110 without them at all. Speaking of core events, Delirium is great and gets a lot better when you're getting extra out of it, eg. every extra attempt you force your opponent in to is another Tain opportunity.

You could go harder at capture being THE way the deck wins while also making it faster/more consistent by cutting a bunch of personnel that are only there for skills really. Like Taris/Sorus/Chagrith etc. and just use Hidden Strings (adding another 2 with this strategy) to fill out your deck with the opponent's personnel, you can also cut Condition Captive since it's redundant with Hidden Strings. This would make Power Shift and Cardassia IV worse though.

Again I agree with Nate, Imperial Entanglements is definitely a card to add with no other way to really make sure the T'met or Serrola can be at the opponents mission attempt. Romulan Impersonator also makes Enabran Tain better with that little bit extra to stop the mission completion, and/or Secret Conspiracy.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
I feel like your deck is working against itself. Condition Captive, The Perfect Tool, Hidden Strings, Imperfect Replacement and Brainwashing all focus on taking command of your opponent's personnel. But Psychological Pressure, Broken Captive, Mine Vendarite and Cardassia IV all want those personnel in your brig. I think you'll do better picking one or the other.

If you do add Imperial Entanglements (which really is the most reliable way to make sure your opponent doesn't just run away from you), I recommend Miracle Working. Not only am I a fan of the name, it allows you to put the cards you want to download back in your deck. Swap the D'deridex Advanced for a non-Advanced version (unique or not) and you'll be able to play Miracle Working reliably.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
I'll echo the Imperial Entanglements sentiments, and add that decks that want to be at opponent's missions often benefit from the Parallel Course/Harried and Harassed engine. Punish the opponent for running away, then show up at the mission anyways. You could also slip a copy of Once More Unto the Breach or two to stop attempts and make Tain happy.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Follow-up rules question:

Psychological Pressure
Punishment. Plays in your core. When an opponent's personnel is facing a dilemma, if he or she has the same skills as any of your captives, that opponent must discard a card from hand to use that skill.
I somewhat remember a ruling that this card only nets you 1 discard, even in combination with Broken Captive -- even though most of the history of this card was different. Is that right? Follow-up, follow-up, if so I hate this ruling.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Architect
Naetor wrote:I somewhat remember a ruling that this card only nets you 1 discard, even in combination with Broken Captive -- even though most of the history of this card was different. Is that right? Follow-up, follow-up, if so I hate this ruling.
It does only get one discard per dilemma (per copy). I still think it's an underrated card - especially when the Serrola and Romulans are also attacking the hand.

By Mogor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
GooeyChewie wrote:
Naetor wrote:I somewhat remember a ruling that this card only nets you 1 discard, even in combination with Broken Captive -- even though most of the history of this card was different. Is that right? Follow-up, follow-up, if so I hate this ruling.
It does only get one discard per dilemma (per copy). I still think it's an underrated card - especially when the Serrola and Romulans are also attacking the hand.
I agree with hating the ruling as well. But it can be solid in the right context even now and can be a cheap event for other setups

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:Yeah, because it is a "When... facing a dilemma" trigger, it only works once per dilemma per copy.
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.

I wasn't certain how the when/while rule applied on your cards during an opponent's attempt. This does make me question this a little since while an opponent is facing a dilemma isn't the natural way you'd state something... especially in set 2 when the when/while distinction didn't exist. It would have been nice if rules & errata had fleshed this out at the time instead of having a handful of cards that now work differently.

Last point, the when/while rule isn't chiefly consistent. Eg Observation drone, can trigger multiple times for every skill he uses (unless I'm mistaken):
Observation Drone wrote:When this personnel uses a skill to complete an [AQ] mission, you may exchange up to three cards in your discard pile with the same number of cards from your deck. Then shuffle your deck.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:Last point, the when/while rule isn't chiefly consistent. Eg Observation drone, can trigger multiple times for every skill he uses (unless I'm mistaken):
Yeah, the fact that "when" triggers are different specifically while personnel are facing a dilemma is problematically confusing.

The sacred cow in 1E for me is: Not Oversimplifiyi[…]

@Rancour@gmx.de @Gul Dakar Florian gets the F[…]

Deck Design Strategy

And just to add to the overall discussion, coming […]

MN 2024 Gatherings

28th it is. 1E Event is up: https://www.trekcc.or[…]