Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
Danny wrote:No disrespect to Charlie, but do we need the sacred texts?

Have not enough cards been created that, when a card comes onto the designer's board, its cost can be worked out by comparing it to other cards with similar attributes, keywords, skills, staffing icons, and comparable gametext?
You would think so but ...

Before I go further, the Design team is full of a diverse group of very smart people. There's a lot of work that goes into each and every card that. This team has worked with cards for a long time. They know the ins and outs. There are over forty sets of precedents out there to use as a measuring stick, so to speak and are often cited for costing questions behind the scenes.

Now where was I?

Despite their best efforts, you can count on at least one card in each set being a bit off, for lack of a better term. Usually, a card can get another thing and maintain its cost. There are occasions where it needs to lose something in order to do so.

Really, the only set I can think of under my tenure that didn't have costing issues was Warp Pack: Access Denied. Granted that had the double team of two very experienced designers and only two personnel.

This isn't a knock against anyone; it's more of something that happens on occasion with designers new and old.
Isn't this what playtesting is for? I mean, there are many cards off-cost -- for some that's the reason why they are played. But can't we trust designers, playtesters, rules people, errata people, community response, and 40 sets in history to keep the game in line beyond rules written by the lead designer of Peak Performance?

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Danny wrote:No disrespect to Charlie, but do we need the sacred texts?

Have not enough cards been created that, when a card comes onto the designer's board, its cost can be worked out by comparing it to other cards with similar attributes, keywords, skills, staffing icons, and comparable gametext?

And if the card isn't comparable to anything else (for example, by virtue of it being completely original, or a new card type) what good'll the text be anyway?
Your argument is that we can derive the formula from the available evidence? Yes, and it’s not even that hard to figure out what the cost should be most of the time.

I actually agree that a third party looking over the costs of cards of cards makes sense, and I have no problem with Charlie being that third party regardless of what Nerd Office he may or may not hold.

On the other hand, I DO need the information made public, if only as a symbol of the CC abandoning the absurd secrecy that’s been the default for 10 years.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
bosskamiura wrote:
DJstormtrooper wrote:Will we ever get to see the originals that came from Brad?
I hope so.

TK
I *think* the issue is that specific document is poorly-formatted for distribution (like, I think it’s literally handwritten in a notebook by Brad). I’ve also heard that Decipher Inc. still owns the copyright on the original document. (Of course, both can be true, because even a handwritten notebook could be considered Brad’s “work product” for Decipher, although I have no idea why publishing that would be a problem but not the card images and so on.)

I’d say that the fact that I don’t even know what the the real issue is for sure is a sign of the CC culture of secrecy that needs to change, but the most likely reason I don’t know something is that I’m a broken, senile, easily-confused old man.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
bhosp wrote:On the other hand, I DO need the information made public, if only as a symbol of the CC abandoning the absurd secrecy that’s been the default for 10 years.
What about other symbols we've done to pull back the curtain?

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
bhosp wrote:On the other hand, I DO need the information made public, if only as a symbol of the CC abandoning the absurd secrecy that’s been the default for 10 years.
What about other symbols we've done to pull back the curtain?
This is a big one for me; a long-standing minor annoyance that admittedly may be crowding out my ability to give you whatever credit you’re due for whatever you’re referring to. (Again, the fact that I can’t think of any such examples doesn’t imply they don’t exist, because I’m a confused old man.)

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
From my point of view the CC is doing an amazing job (oh, well, apart from keeping the forum clean). so I put my trust into the guys.

GOGO Continuing Committee ! ! !
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]

Is Sedis a captain?

Not exactly, because that is the ONLY keywor[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]