Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
We’re just past the halfway point in February, but the release schedule for 2019 is essentially firmed up with four sets coming out. I’ll be giving more details as to where things are at in the Set Update thread pinned at the top soon, but here’s how it will likely play out. Remember that this is all tentative and subject to change!

You’ve seen the first set already. Qpid was released last Thursday in conjunction with Valentine’s Day. This nine card boutique set is based around different forms of love.

Projects Greene and Fortis are a twenty-seven card product. Two-thirds are based around a new faction and the other nine are based on popular characters in the form of personnel, one of which you designed. This should release sometime in the Spring. It has a name which you have a hint of if you watch my intro for January’s Board meeting. If you need another hint, * **** ******* *****.

Project Gannicus will start up soon. This set is between eighteen and twenty-seven cards all based around the theme of battle. This is expected to release roughly in the Fall.

Project Donar B (for lack of a better name) should be the final set for the year. It was designed by the same team that made Qpid. More details will spoil it, but it is looking good.

There you have the very rough outline for 2019. What do you think? What are you most excited for?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
As a playtester, I think we're out of our lenght, width and depth puking out this many untested cards and it's only because of our amazing designers that we don't have a ginormous amount of broken cards in any given set.

Other than that, Gannicus is what I'm looking for cuz battle is highly underused in 2E.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I like seeing popular characters, and characters I like. However, I strongly dislike battle and interference, so I'm dreading that set.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Marquetry wrote:I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I like seeing popular characters, and characters I like. However, I strongly dislike battle and interference, so I'm dreading that set.
For me, I like interference in the meta -- the exception being things that turn into (near) infinite loops. 1 card, 1 play.

By KillerB (John Corbett)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Architect
Community Contributor
Some parting words... after a long day on the road...

Nick hit the nail on the head when he spoke of reasons some people maybe not be a fan of The Process. I wish I could find the quote. Shaking things up... stuff like that...

I like to make people uncomfortable. This is true in all aspects of trek. In nerd politics maybe it's not the best course of action but it's the only thing that might keep people honest. Although they always keep up with the shady...

In design it's crucial. If you're not making people adjust, fucking with their 'comfort zone', then you aren't bringing new ideas to the table.

It's not easy working like that. Half the testers hate your ideas. You get into discussions with Charlie "I don't even know how to cost that" (That was always a sign of good work. Out of school: our Project Green costing meeting went smooth. I became a costing conservative after many contentious meetings with Charlie). Sometime you have to fight against the current. Sometimes you have to 'crack skulls' to see your vision through.

That's all before the cards come out. Then you have to deal with lazy players (that's sounds like a slur, but it just means unwilling to adjust).

I'm not stopping on the way out. Project Green's new HQ (I think Ross let this slip already) DEMANDS you account for it. Then we'll see what's in store for Project Gannicus.

How do you become champion? Never fucking lose.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
Ambassador
By bosskamiura (Thomas Kamiura)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Community Contributor
As a competitive player i LOVE battle and interference and think 2e needs way more of it. 2e for too long has been neutered down to a game of solitaire with no interaction.

A "safe place" for those afraid of interaction. In fact, you know what's happened to 2e? Those afraid of interaction became designers and came into positions of control - and now here we are.

TK

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
bosskamiura wrote:

In fact, you know what's happened to 2e? Those afraid of interaction became designers and came into positions of control - and now here we are.

TK
Let's fact check..

Hmm... I'm certainly not afraid of interaction.

BenHosp? Nope.

Nathan Miracle. I've never heard him say anything against it.

Mike Shea. Nope.

Danny. He's never said anything negative.

Lucas... can t recall any bias.

You'll have to give me more for that theory TK.

Btw, interaction, to me anyways, is more then just murder or blowing up ships.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
KillerB wrote:I like to make people uncomfortable. In design it's crucial. If you're not making people adjust, fucking with their 'comfort zone', then you aren't bringing new ideas to the table.
They aren't mutually exclusive, but I'd value 'fun' over 'discomfort' as an ideal goal to strive towards. Maybe there's some Magic: The Gathering design theory blog somewhere stating otherwise -- I don't know.

-  
Architect
Community Contributor
Naetor wrote:
KillerB wrote:I like to make people uncomfortable. In design it's crucial. If you're not making people adjust, fucking with their 'comfort zone', then you aren't bringing new ideas to the table.
They aren't mutually exclusive, but I'd value 'fun' over 'discomfort' as an ideal goal to strive towards. Maybe there's some Magic: The Gathering design theory blog somewhere stating otherwise -- I don't know.
I don't know how to read.

First Edition Rules Master
By BCSWowbagger (James Heaney)
 - First Edition Rules Master
 -  
Community Contributor
KillerB wrote:In design it's crucial. If you're not making people adjust, fucking with their 'comfort zone', then you aren't bringing new ideas to the table.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
To be Honest, 9-18 card sets aren't really anything to get hyped about. Focus on 27 + card sets. Much more hype. Small sets get none from me nor my playmates in my area. :thumbsdown:
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
If you want bigger sets, please consider volunteering to playtest for us. 2E has gone to this smaller model because of a lack of active playtest groups.

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
monty42 wrote:As a playtester, I think we're out of our lenght, width and depth puking out this many untested cards and it's only because of our amazing designers that we don't have a ginormous amount of broken cards in any given set.

Other than that, Gannicus is what I'm looking for cuz battle is highly underused in 2E.
I'll agree with you we need more interaction. Battle is underused.

I'll agree with you that we have a great team of designers - even if doing so feels self-serving. :wink:

I disagree that we're "puking out" sets. 2018 was the first full year of the "Corbett Era" for lack of a better term. That year, we got 80 cards for the entire year.

By comparison, the first year of Phase II, 2014, we got 117.

In 2015, 132.

In 2016, we got 84 - and that year everyone complained at the lack of cards released.

In 2017, we got 72, and that was also a really bad year for production (lots of delays, lots of complaining).

So far in 2019, we got 9 cards. Apparently, we're only getting 63-72 more.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Faithful Reader wrote:Project Gannicus will start up soon. This set is between eighteen and twenty-seven cards all based around the theme of battle. This is expected to release roughly in the Fall.
I'm excited for this. I think that 2E was designed too conservatively with respect to interaction decks. I understand why after the free-for-alll that is battle in 1E, but the pendulum swung too far to fix that.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
jadziadax8 wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:Project Gannicus will start up soon. This set is between eighteen and twenty-seven cards all based around the theme of battle. This is expected to release roughly in the Fall.
I'm excited for this. I think that 2E was designed too conservatively with respect to interaction decks. I understand why after the free-for-alll that is battle in 1E, but the pendulum swung too far to fix that.
I hope this is "help me win" interaction and not "stop my opponent" interaction. There's already a lot of viable interaction decks that can't FW in an hour.

Good mornin' lads, just got me thinking: What w[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Yes, it was at Redeemer in Bartlesville. Unfortuna[…]

Apologies for the delays in the results. They will[…]

MW for doctorjoya over tykajada 35-0. GG! :cheers[…]