Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By bane122
 -  
Hello all, I recently discover this game and grabbed the first four starters to try with friends. We played last weekend and all really enjoyed it so I'm wanting to build some decks for us all to play with but am not sure about some things.

I'm wanting to stick to around the 60 card format the starters have but in general should I copy the ratio of ships, personnel, and equipment from them as well? Also, what is the best way to go about figuring what missions. events, dilemmas, etc. to include in each deck? Do I need to worry about a cost curve like in other CCGs?

These may all be very broad questions but I feel a bit overwhelmed with what all is out there and am trying to just find a good place to start from.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
bane122 wrote:Hello all, I recently discover this game and grabbed the first four starters to try with friends. We played last weekend and all really enjoyed it so I'm wanting to build some decks for us all to play with but am not sure about some things.

I'm wanting to stick to around the 60 card format the starters have but in general should I copy the ratio of ships, personnel, and equipment from them as well? Also, what is the best way to go about figuring what missions. events, dilemmas, etc. to include in each deck? Do I need to worry about a cost curve like in other CCGs?

These may all be very broad questions but I feel a bit overwhelmed with what all is out there and am trying to just find a good place to start from.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Here's a few basic rules of thumb:

-Personnel should make up no less than half of the deck. If you're sticking to the 35/20/5 minimum, you should be at 60-70% personnel.

-Ships or ship equivalents (cards that let you download a ship) should be 10-15% of your deck - about one in every 7-10 cards. All of the starters have this ratio, but the Deep Space Nine starter is the best example with the Akiras and Sisko.

-Try to find a balance of personnel. The starters are heavy on the weenies, but you need a couple of all stars with good abilities to support your mission attempts.

Hopefully you find these helpful. Good luck!

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
As far as choosing your missions you should always look what the chosen affilation is good at.
i.e. Klingons usually have high Strength but relatively low Cunning so picking missions that require Cunning probably won't be the way to go.

Also I always advise beginners to choose missions with a relatively similar skill set. Then you can stack loads of personnel who have those skills.
i.e. if you're going to play a Romulan deck, go with Khitomer Investigation, Sensitive Search and Elude Federation Forces.
In combination they only require 4 different skills (Engineer, Programming, Security and Treachery).
Then you can focus on those four skills when choosing personnel for your deck.

Oh and also, welcome aboard :cheersL:
Last edited by monty42 on Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
Welcome! Where are you located? There may be a group of players near you.

By bane122
 -  
Thank you all for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for to get started.
jadziadax8 wrote:Welcome! Where are you located? There may be a group of players near you.
I'm in Louisville, KY.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Sweet! We had the National Championships in Lexington in 2016, IIRC, so not too far away.

There's a guy named Nate Winchester in Louisville. prylardurden is in Cinncinnati.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Welcome aboard bane122!

What are you interested in? The recent Spotlight Series includes some beginner decks. If there's a specific mechanic you would like to explore in more depth, let us know and we can direct you accordingly.

Beyond that, and getting into deck building, Briana dn Ben have good information to get you going.

By bane122
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:Welcome aboard bane122!

What are you interested in? The recent Spotlight Series includes some beginner decks. If there's a specific mechanic you would like to explore in more depth, let us know and we can direct you accordingly.

Beyond that, and getting into deck building, Briana dn Ben have good information to get you going.
These articles have been interesting and helpful indeed. Thank you.

I'm still new enough that I'm not sure what specific things I want to explore. For now I just want to build some basic decks. But I see keywords like Q and Temporal and am intrigued to learn about them once I have the basics down better.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
bane122 wrote:I'm still new enough that I'm not sure what specific things I want to explore. For now I just want to build some basic decks. But I see keywords like Q and Temporal and am intrigued to learn about them once I have the basics down better.
Trust your instincts.

Those are a little beyond starting, but they are called keywords. For the most part, you can ignore them. Very few have an effect on their own and are usually called out by other cards. The Q keyword is perhaps the most versatile, but it is a little harder to use. Very few are especially helpful in early deck building, though if you include a lot of the same region in your missions, it will be easier to move around.

You'll want to get more accustomed to the game them look into fine tuning around keywords.

By bane122
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
bane122 wrote:I'm still new enough that I'm not sure what specific things I want to explore. For now I just want to build some basic decks. But I see keywords like Q and Temporal and am intrigued to learn about them once I have the basics down better.
Trust your instincts.

Those are a little beyond starting, but they are called keywords. For the most part, you can ignore them. Very few have an effect on their own and are usually called out by other cards. The Q keyword is perhaps the most versatile, but it is a little harder to use. Very few are especially helpful in early deck building, though if you include a lot of the same region in your missions, it will be easier to move around.

You'll want to get more accustomed to the game them look into fine tuning around keywords.
Yeah, that's pretty much my idea.

Also, the deckbuilder here (while taking a minute to figure out) is fantastic.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
bane122 wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:
Trust your instincts.

Yeah, that's pretty much my idea.

Also, the deckbuilder here (while taking a minute to figure out) is fantastic.
The premium deck builder is miles better than the basic one. Highly recommend.

By bane122
 -  
So I've put together a couple of decks now and am getting the hang of things more but, is there a place with clarifications on cards? For instance, the event Escape Pod says "when one of your personnel is about to be killed or discarded, place them here instead. If I'm in a situation where multiple personnel will be effected do I have to choose just one or can all of them be placed?
The use of the word "one" seems obvious but I've seen other game where something was worded differently than intended.
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
Cards that you can use for multiple personnel at once, usually say "when any number of your personnel..." A good example of this is Escape.

When it comes to choosing one of the personnel, it will usually be pretty clear which player does the choosing. See Dramatic Personae for an example of that.

If a card lacks that specific type of direction, then the owner of the card makes the choice (I know this happens, but I'm drawing a blank on an example card right now).
Executive Officer
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
[emoji106]

Sent through Subspace from the Starship Enterprise
Capturing Related

Maybe add the [Pun] icon to the proposed definitio[…]

*dramatic noise* *suspends play* 0KF19 Kaiserfe[…]