Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 145 posts

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:
monty42 wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:Culluh. Maybe.
Who?
There is no villain in any franchise that qualitatively compares to Dukat. He is Star Trek's most complex and well-developed villain. Maybe Khan. Maybe Elim Garak. As far as heroes go: who can compare to Spock? No one. Maybe Kirk and Picard. Those characters are in a league all their own. They're iconic.

If that's the threshold we're setting, some of our existing affiliations don't get made.
Now you’ve gone too far. I won’t stand for this Winn Adami erasure.

Also Sybok (at least in concept, if not in execution) is a “villain” who genuinely wants to help people and could surpass Dukat if Discovery ever finds the guts to take a risk and revisit him.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
monty42 wrote:
Who?
Lead Kazon. Appeared in as many episodes as Sela. And twice as many as Locutus.
monty42 wrote:I can see where you're trying to go here but are you gonna tell me that even the most dedicated Voyager fan can honestly argue that any Kazon, Viidian or Hirogen could ever compete with a Dukat, Weyoun, Locutus, Quark or Sela?
If they're a diehard fan, probably by definition.

It's a franchise with over seven hundred episodes. We'll like some more than others. There's a huge thread on the All Things Trek board with us arguing over one currently airing.

And Sela'a got her own issues.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Faithful Reader wrote:
monty42 wrote:
Who?
Lead Kazon. Appeared in as many episodes as Sela. And twice as many as Locutus.
And yet he doesn't have even have a fraction of the background story that the two of them have. Which makes him just another guy.
monty42 wrote:I can see where you're trying to go here but are you gonna tell me that even the most dedicated Voyager fan can honestly argue that any Kazon, Viidian or Hirogen could ever compete with a Dukat, Weyoun, Locutus, Quark or Sela?
If they're a diehard fan, probably by definition. [/quote]
The "diehard" fan will always fight the losing battle agains the rational argument.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
bhosp wrote:Image
Now let's try and make a joke like this with Culluh...

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Yeah I like Culluh but the only thing that makes him interesting is Seska.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
monty42 wrote:
bhosp wrote:Image
Now let's try and make a joke like this with Culluh...
I can’t look for one because I got banned from Star Trek Shitposting for calling Geordi an incel :(

But there’s always this one about the real Big Bad on Voyager:
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
monty42 wrote:The "diehard" fan will always fight the losing battle agains the rational argument.
You mean the complaints that the Klingons were different, it messes up the timeline, the sets were new, the technology was entirely redesigned as were the uniforms - without a word of explanation and there were behind the scenes difficulties and it didn't feel liek trek?

But The Motion Picture, The Next Generation, Enterprise, Into Darkness and Discovery all turned out fine.

Heck, when The Next Genreation came out, fans were bitching that it wasn't Trek without Kirk and Picard.

There's rational arguments on both sides.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote: There's rational arguments on both sides.
Don’t you dare “very fine people on both sides” this nonsense.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Can we all at least agree that 2E needs the Sex Ghost?

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
Sela schmela. Nostalgia for Yar + Denise Crosby needed a gig.

Q was great. But, on the level of Dukat? No. He was a more well-developed and better-acted Trelane.

Locutus was only interesting because underneath it all it was Picard turned against himself.

Kai Winn, Weyoun, and even the Founder Leader: all great. But, not iconic. Not series defining. Listen, if I had my way we'd be doing an 81 card set on the Dominion War, and it would be fantastic! But, I don't always get what I want. :wink:

Here's my opinion boiled down: if a new affiliation gets a significant number of players excited, if it creates buzz, if it's done well, and if it adds something to the game - then it's a win.

And frankly, it would also serve as a message to 2E players that we're as worthy of innovation as 1E. I travel across my region. I hear it all the time: 1E gets all the new stuff. They're not 100% right, but part of the reason they feel that way is because 2E sets have been consistently shrinking while 1E gets a new affiliation roll-out. Players notice things like that.

Maybe it's time we broaden our horizons. That's all I'm saying.
Last edited by The Prefect on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:Kai Winn, Weyoun, and even the Founder Leader: all great. But, not iconic. Not series defining.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Faithful Reader wrote:
monty42 wrote:The "diehard" fan will always fight the losing battle agains the rational argument.
You mean the complaints that the Klingons were different, it messes up the timeline, the sets were new, the technology was entirely redesigned as were the uniforms - without a word of explanation and there were behind the scenes difficulties and it didn't feel liek trek?

But The Motion Picture, The Next Generation, Enterprise, Into Darkness and Discovery all turned out fine.

Heck, when The Next Genreation came out, fans were bitching that it wasn't Trek without Kirk and Picard.

There's rational arguments on both sides.
Now what the hell does that have to do with anything?

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]