Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 145 posts

By The Prefect (Michael Shea)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Prefect
bhosp wrote:
The Prefect wrote:Kai Winn, Weyoun, and even the Founder Leader: all great. But, not iconic. Not series defining.
2vbjiz.jpg
2vbjiz.jpg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Last edited by The Prefect on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
The Prefect wrote:Sela schmela. Nostalgia for Yar + Denise Crosby needed a gig.

Q was great. But, on the level of Dukat? No. He was a more well-developed and better-acted Trelane.

Locutus was only interesting because underneath it all it was Picard turned against himself.

Kai Winn, Weyoun, and even the Founder Leader: all great. But, not iconic. Not series defining. Listen, if I had my way we'd be doing an 81 card set on the Dominion War, and it would be fantastic! But, I don't always get what I want. :wink:
Anyway they were all more interesting than Culluh and the rest of the VOY stooges!

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
The Prefect wrote:Here's my opinion boiled down: if a new affiliation gets a significant number of players excited, if it creates buzz, if it's done well, and if it adds something to the game - then it's a win.

And frankly, it would also serve as a message to 2E players that we're as worthy of innovation as 1E. I travel across my region. I hear it all the time: 1E gets all the new stuff. They're not 100% right, but part of the reason they feel that way is because 2E sets have been consistently shrinking while 1E gets a new affiliation roll-out. Players notice things like that.

Maybe it's time we broaden our horizons. That's all I'm saying.
2E can get new stuff without getting a new affilation.
You of all people should know that.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023

Q was great. But, on the level of Dukat? No. He was a more well-developed and better-acted Trelane.

Locutus was only interesting because underneath it all it was Picard turned against himself.

Kai Winn, Weyoun, and even the Founder Leader: all great. But, not iconic. Not series defining. Listen, if I had my way we'd be doing an 81 card set on the Dominion War, and it would be fantastic! But, I don't always get what I want. :wink:

Here's my opinion boiled down: if a new affiliation gets a significant number of players excited, if it creates buzz, if it's done well, and if it adds something to the game - then it's a win.

And frankly, it would also serve as a message to 2E players that we're as worthy of innovation as 1E. I travel across my region. I hear it all the time: 1E gets all the new stuff. They're not 100% right, but part of the reason they feel that way is because 2E sets have been consistently shrinking while 1E gets a new affiliation roll-out. Players notice things like that.

:thumbsup: I would get super-excited for an adequate amount of DQ love in 2E.

And no, Kai Winn or Weyoun were not more exciting than Cullah IMO...

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
monty42 wrote:
The Prefect wrote:Here's my opinion boiled down: if a new affiliation gets a significant number of players excited, if it creates buzz, if it's done well, and if it adds something to the game - then it's a win.

I do know that. I also know that new affiliations can offer creative avenues that may not fit well within existing affiliations. Surely you know that?
Last edited by The Prefect on Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
The Prefect wrote:
monty42 wrote:

I do know that. I also know that new affiliations can offer creative avenues that may not fit well within existing affiliations. Surely you know that?
I know. Yet with so many existing avenues still untapped, why would you feel the need to turn to new ones?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
Marquetry wrote:

Here's my opinion boiled down: if a new affiliation gets a significant number of players excited, if it creates buzz, if it's done well, and if it adds something to the game - then it's a win.

:thumbsup: I would get super-excited for an adequate amount of DQ love in 2E.

And no, Kai Winn or Weyoun were not more exciting than Cullah IMO...
So even if I give you Culluh, what about the Viidians and the Hirogen.
Also I haven't watched Voyager recently, can you give me a little background on Culluh?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
monty42 wrote:Yet with so many existing avenues still untapped, why would you feel the need to turn to new ones?
Any number of reasons. Sometimes the creative muse strikes. Maybe designers are more interesting in breaking new ground then adding to something that already exists. Maybe they feel there's a deserving piece of a franchise that's been paid too little attention. Maybe they see potential. And don't underestimate the power of the message: we're worth the same level of effort as 1E. Sometimes, in life, perception is reality.

But, let me flip the question back around: if there's untapped creative potential, a willingness to put forth the effort to make a good product, and a player appetite for it: why would you be so opposed to a new affiliation?

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
monty42 wrote:Yet with so many existing avenues still untapped, why would you feel the need to turn to new ones?
Let me put it a different way.

Hypothetical: Suppose a designer pitches Kazon and it gets approved. A team is assembled. They work hard. They come up with something good. Fun. Flavorful. An affiliation that adds something to the game. It's well-received in testing. Rules sees no problems. Johnny knocks the new template design out of the park: it loos great. Creative works some magic with lore and subtitles and titles and image suggestions, and Art really delivers. In short: it's well executed.

Are you telling me under those circumstances, you'd still quit? You'd still disapprove?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
The Prefect wrote:
Let me put it a different way.

Hypothetical: Suppose a designer pitches Kazon and it gets approved. A team is assembled. They work hard. They come up with something good. Fun. Flavorful. An affiliation that adds something to the game. It's well-received in testing. Rules sees no problems. Johnny knocks the new template design out of the park: it loos great. Creative works some magic with lore and subtitles and titles and image suggestions, and Art really delivers. In short: it's well executed.

Are you telling me under those circumstances, you'd still quit? You'd still disapprove?
I'd be out the door!
To be quite honest, that would be the perfect excuse for me to quit.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:
bhosp wrote:
The Prefect wrote:Kai Winn, Weyoun, and even the Founder Leader: all great. But, not iconic. Not series defining.
2vbjiz.jpg

- Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Prefect
monty42 wrote:I'd be out the door!
Well, then you could see why one would get the impression you weren't being open-minded.

And, why are you looking for an excuse?

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Marquetry wrote::thumbsup: I would get super-excited for an adequate amount of DQ love in 2E.
I happen to know that there was a promising pitch for a Vidiian concept in the works, but who knows what will happen to it now that Design is under new “likable” leadership.

ALL HAIL THE TONE

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
The Prefect wrote:
monty42 wrote:I'd be out the door!
Well, then you could see why one would get the impression you weren't being open-minded.

And, why are you looking for an excuse?
Is a man not entitled to the rage of his quit?

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]