Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
  • 145 posts

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
I completely agree with Durg and The Prefect. Adding new affiliations to the game of 2E could be a great way to introduce new ideas and keep the game exciting. Frankly, I'm exhausted with all the dissidents and infiltrators I see in tournaments these days. What's new about that? I imagine a similar conversation happened at Decipher HQ when someone had the idea of making the Borg a playable affiliation. :shifty: Honestly, if Decipher was still around making this game we would probably already have more affiliations than we have right now! This is not a knock against the CC. Obviously, the CC is smaller and does not have the same resources as Decipher. However, IMO, it could still be possible to introduce new mechanics through a new affiliation in 20-30 cards. :twocents:
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
IQ542 wrote:Adding new affiliations to the game of 2E could be a great way to introduce new ideas and keep the game exciting. Frankly, I'm exhausted with all the dissidents and infiltrators I see in tournaments these days. What's new about that?
You're not too busy this spring, are you?

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
IQ542 wrote:Adding new affiliations to the game of 2E could be a great way to introduce new ideas and keep the game exciting. Frankly, I'm exhausted with all the dissidents and infiltrators I see in tournaments these days. What's new about that?
Lol! I'd be more than happy to jump on the design team for a new affiliation.... :wink:
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
IQ542 wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote:
Lol! I'd be more than happy to jump on the design team for a new affiliation.... :wink:
That wasn't the offer. Even though it's not on the books this year, once you see the next set, I think you'll still see some great new innovative things.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Faithful Reader wrote:
IQ542 wrote:
Faithful Reader wrote: You're not too busy this spring, are you?
That wasn't the offer. Even though it's not on the books this year, once you see the next set, I think you'll still see some great new innovative things.
Terra Prime Forever

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Counterpoint: if you have a good idea, give it to an existing affiliation without an identity.

Terok Nor was not compelling at all until they got dilemma mill; ES9 could use direction, TOS doesn't have much beyond Kirk.

The last 5 "affiliations" created were Khan, holograms, thieves, Relativity -- which all suck -- and KCA, which the jury is still out on. The last few existing affiliation sub-themes created/pushed include treachery Klingons, TN dilemma mill, Romulan capture/assimilate, DQ Borg, and Paranoid Earth (well 4 out of 5 isn't bad).

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Naetor wrote:Counterpoint: if you have a good idea, give it to an existing affiliation without an identity.

Terok Nor was not compelling at all until they got dilemma mill; ES9 could use direction, TOS doesn't have much beyond Kirk.

The last 5 "affiliations" created were Khan, holograms, thieves, Relativity -- which all suck -- and KCA, which the jury is still out on. The last few existing affiliation sub-themes created/pushed include treachery Klingons, TN dilemma mill, Romulan capture/assimilate, DQ Borg, and Paranoid Earth (well 4 out of 5 isn't bad).
100% agreed! :thumbsup:

By IQ542 (Matt S)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:Counterpoint: if you have a good idea, give it to an existing affiliation without an identity.

I respectfully disagree. TOS has the playing people at cost + or - gimmick. You have a point with TN dilemma mill. I actually enjoy playing TN now! :D The other "affiliations" listed aren't really affiliations at all. You pointed this out by using affiliation in quotes. When I think of an affiliation, I think of Romulan, Fed, Borg, Cardasian, Dominion, etc... Relativity, holograms, and Khan are sub-affiliations.... Thief is a keyword more than anything else and does not really qualify as an affiliation IMO. Introducing an affiliation with new characters and new mechanics could take 2E in a great direction. Instead of introducing sub-themes into something old, we could create new characters, ships, and mechanics. Also, I would like to point out there's no reason the CC couldn't keep introducing sub-themes AND create a new affiliation. It seems people are afraid of a new affiliation. :shifty:

Let me say good counter point. I respect all opinions and enjoy all the discussion that goes on even if I disagree with it. :cheersL:
Second Edition Balance Manager
 - Second Edition Balance Manager
 -  
I agree with IQ542. There have been no new affiliations. There has been "let's find something to do within an existing affiliation". Which is cool for those that received the something new/different touch. I have always looked for ways to do different within existing affiliations. Find a card or two that seemed cool and see if I could make it work somewhere it may not of been intended or thought about being used. This is "fun" to me. I have found as I have become more active and met more players that this is how a lot of players think and work! I watch my boy Nate with his creative outside the box deck making skills and I tear up thinking how I taught him everything he knows. (Just kidding before someone blows a fuse :cheersL: ). Point is we all want new things and new ways to make them work and new people to make them work with!! If it is a new affiliation we should be glad!! If it is an existing affiliation with a new twist we should be glad!! We are still playing the game we LOVE :thumbsup: Let us get off the hate train and get on the "make the game as fun and entertaining as it can be" train. If you have an idea do not keep it to yourself! Get to a tournament, meet people, exchange and refine your ideas and run your mouth to everyone!!! It can not get better unless we all know it needs to and why should you not be the one showing us the way. :twocents:
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019

I think one of the problems causing those 5 "affiliations" to suck is that they aren't actually affiliations. Trying to create a unique flavour that's actually decent has to be harder when it's on a [NA] template because of the boundaries imposed by the fact almost every single deck can use the stuff you create. I think it's pretty obvious Relativity was the most refined and useful out of the gate and that's definitely because all of the [Fed] HQs use their own icons rather than the affiliation icon. Where as Khan has gotten a lot of support cards made for it and some are really convoluted because it isn't it's own affiliation it's a keyword on an affiliation that can be splashed pretty much anywhere.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
IQ542 wrote:Introducing an affiliation with new characters and new mechanics could take 2E in a great direction.
I think this is a good point, and it kinda makes the case against a new affiliation (except for maybe Xindi).

Can anyone name three "bridge crew" candidates for the Kazon (Culluh, Seska, and ...), or the Vidiaans, or the Hirogen? Where's the star power?

Having a great mechanic is one thing, but if you can't credibly attach is to Star Trek, it might as well be a new mechanic for "Generic Space Card Game (TM)".
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Fritzinger wrote:What is it that makes relativity suck?
I'd say lack of diversity in deck types and some glaring weaknesses. They can do a solver sort of well but the only diversity on that front is pretty much does it use Chakotay or not. They have no interference options and are weak against all types of interference.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]