What's New Dashboard Articles Forums Chat Room Achievements Tournaments Player Map The Promenade Volunteers About Us Site Index
The Continuing Committee
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:32 am




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Coming Soon to 2E 
Author Message
Gamma Quadrant



User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Posts: 6584
Location: Cambridge, UK
Region: Omarion Nebula
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
bhosp wrote:
4 members of Terra prime have names. 5 if you count Nathan Samuels (we didn’t).

(Also I’m 100% sure that Dr. McCoy has been to at least one Terra Prime meeting, and I bet Pulaski and O’Brien have too. But that’s neither here nor there. )

Chill, fella - I’ve no beef with Terra Prime; they still sport the Starfleet icon. They’re a subaffiliation at best.

_________________
A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about. ~ MIGUEL DE UNAMUNO (1864-1936)

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. ~ HERMAN MELVILLE (1819-1891)


Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:10 pm
Profile
Gamma Quadrant

User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm
Posts: 5870
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
Danny wrote:
bhosp wrote:
4 members of Terra prime have names. 5 if you count Nathan Samuels (we didn’t).

(Also I’m 100% sure that Dr. McCoy has been to at least one Terra Prime meeting, and I bet Pulaski and O’Brien have too. But that’s neither here nor there. )

Chill, fella - I’ve no beef with Terra Prime; they still sport the Starfleet icon. They’re a subaffiliation at best.


If you’ve got a problem with Terra Prime I’d love to hear about it.

YO DIS GUY AINT ONE OF US HES A DIRTY VULCAN LOVER

_________________
Evil is unreflective, shallow, empty. The damage that it causes is forever out of proportion to the consideration that spawned it. It never really perceives itself, though it always considers itself an exacting and scrupulous judge of others.—Liz Bruenig


Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm
Profile
Gamma Quadrant



Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 6230
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
Disclaimer: Any talk of adding new affiliations is purely hypothetical.

Every affiliation should appeal to somebody. Few (if any) affiliations will appeal to everybody. If we do add an affiliation and it's not one you particularly like, please understand that somebody else has probably been looking forward to the possibility of that affiliation for a very long time.

As for the "generic" argument, it could really be applied to almost any non-Federation affiliation. If not for 2E, I doubt I could name a single Dominion personnel other than Weyoun. But when the Jem'hadar show up, I know it's going to be a bad day for Sisko and crew! Likewise I might not be able to name a bunch of Hirogen off hand, but I know they're hunters, I know they collect trophies, I know they consider everybody else to be prey, and I know they use and abuse holograms for that purpose. If we can recreate that feel, then we're playing Star Trek even if we aren't playing personnel who appear in the title credits.

_________________
"Save your strength. There'll be another time. The princess - you have to take care of her. You hear me?" -Han Solo to Chewbacca, ESB


Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm
Profile
Delta Quadrant

User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:42 pm
Posts: 3651
Location: San Diego
Region: Risa
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
GooeyChewie wrote:
Every affiliation should appeal to somebody. Few (if any) affiliations will appeal to everybody.

To me, this is not the issue. IMO, players are drawn to an affiliation because 1) how it plays; and 2) Trek nostalgia.

I understand the Trek nostalgia angle. Maybe some Voyager fanboy really likes the Hirogen. But, if that's the case, this can be accomplished many ways beyond dedicating ~30 cards to a new affiliation. Couldn't this also be accomplished with a suite of Dilemmas? A keyword?

My contention with a new affiliation is -- I'm sorry -- design has not been innovative in the past when doing so, maybe there's just not a lot of room for it. Temporal Transporters is a culturally-appropriated Bajoran card, Display of Wealth stuff is Borg. I wouldn't mind a new affiliation that has an innovative mechanic, but assimilating themes from another affiliation destroys cultural distinction.
:borg:

_________________
NastyNateTV on YouTube and Twitch.


Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Gamma Quadrant

User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm
Posts: 5870
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
Naetor wrote:
GooeyChewie wrote:
Every affiliation should appeal to somebody. Few (if any) affiliations will appeal to everybody.

To me, this is not the issue. IMO, players are drawn to an affiliation because 1) how it plays; and 2) Trek nostalgia.

I understand the Trek nostalgia angle. Maybe some Voyager fanboy really likes the Hirogen. But, if that's the case, this can be accomplished many ways beyond dedicating ~30 cards to a new affiliation. Couldn't this also be accomplished with a suite of Dilemmas? A keyword?

My contention with a new affiliation is -- I'm sorry -- design has not been innovative in the past when doing so, maybe there's just not a lot of room for it. Temporal Transporters is a culturally-appropriated Bajoran card, Display of Wealth stuff is Borg. I wouldn't mind a new affiliation that has an innovative mechanic, but assimilating themes from another affiliation destroys cultural distinction.
:borg:


Image

_________________
Evil is unreflective, shallow, empty. The damage that it causes is forever out of proportion to the consideration that spawned it. It never really perceives itself, though it always considers itself an exacting and scrupulous judge of others.—Liz Bruenig


Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:42 pm
Profile
Beta Quadrant

User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:51 am
Posts: 562
Location: Austria
Region: Borg Region
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
Personally, I think a new affiliation could be interesting. But it should be a bigger set then. No way you could squeeze in Hirogen with a 45 cards set.

_________________
E=mc²+2D6


Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:44 pm
Profile
Alpha Quadrant

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm
Posts: 62
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
Karr, Decaren, Idrin, Karon, Jorik [Hir] off the top of my head. Again, I loved playing them in 1E! They had a mechanic in 1E I think might be cool. You played a card to table (your core) , named a personnel your opponent commands they were the prey. Your Hirogen with Anthropology gained all their skills. Refine and modify for 2E use!! Gain a single skill, give the Hirogen (a space born hunting race) skill hole(s) they need to fill, etc. Allow the Kazon to scavenge their opponents discard pile for stuff, skills, attributes they need/do not have (they did not have transporters). Make them immune to the Borg cause the Borg thought them unworthy of assimilation. Make the Vidiians have to harvest organs to keep from dying off or to boost lower than normal attributes (integrity and strength). Just spit balling a little here :twocents: Could there be a card (dilemma!?) that locks you out of your draw deck for 1 turn ( i.e. At an impasse-ish). The world of Trek is our oyster! Let us be creative and have fun!! Talk among yourselves. I will over here if you should need me, building a deck that I hope makes Nate proud!! :cheersL:


Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:25 am
Profile
Gamma Quadrant

User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm
Posts: 5870
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
You only know those guys because Decipher put them on 1E cards.

_________________
Evil is unreflective, shallow, empty. The damage that it causes is forever out of proportion to the consideration that spawned it. It never really perceives itself, though it always considers itself an exacting and scrupulous judge of others.—Liz Bruenig


Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 am
Profile
Ambassador
Ambassador



User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 pm
Posts: 2529
Location: Kassel, Germany
Region: Vandros IV
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
bhosp wrote:
You only know those guys because Decipher put them on 1E cards.
:thumbsup:

_________________
Make sure to keep on top of what's going on in Organized Play in Europe

@BLiebich Another round of Ascendancy and the Cardies are taking over. https://t.co/EscyBydEVe


Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:52 am
Profile
Gamma Quadrant

User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:26 pm
Posts: 5870
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
No one wants to give Phil any props for the Alliance for Global Unity graffiti he drew freehand. (It wasn’t from memory, I saw him looking it up on his phone, but it was still impressive)

_________________
Evil is unreflective, shallow, empty. The damage that it causes is forever out of proportion to the consideration that spawned it. It never really perceives itself, though it always considers itself an exacting and scrupulous judge of others.—Liz Bruenig


Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 am
Profile
Executive Officer
Executive Officer



User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:59 am
Posts: 6750
Location: Mount Prospect, IL, USA
Region: Deep Space 9
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
bhosp wrote:
No one wants to give Phil any props for the Alliance for Global Unity graffiti he drew freehand. (It wasn’t from memory, I saw him looking it up on his phone, but it was still impressive)


It was quite nice. Very Banksy.

_________________
Kaiser wrote:
Logic does not really factor into it; only game rules matter. Happily, the two often coincide.


Other Hobby


Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm
Profile
Gamma Quadrant



Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:37 pm
Posts: 6230
Region: Sector 001
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
Naetor wrote:
I understand the Trek nostalgia angle. Maybe some Voyager fanboy really likes the Hirogen. But, if that's the case, this can be accomplished many ways beyond dedicating ~30 cards to a new affiliation. Couldn't this also be accomplished with a suite of Dilemmas? A keyword?

Maybe. That's the route we took with Species 8472, after all. We should look for the best way to represent Hirogen, Kazon, Vidiian, Xindi and Vulcans - which may or may not mean new affiliations.

Naetor wrote:
My contention with a new affiliation is -- I'm sorry -- design has not been innovative in the past when doing so, maybe there's just not a lot of room for it. Temporal Transporters is a culturally-appropriated Bajoran card, Display of Wealth stuff is Borg. I wouldn't mind a new affiliation that has an innovative mechanic, but assimilating themes from another affiliation destroys cultural distinction.
:borg:

Earlier you listed Khan, holograms, thieves, Relativity and KCA as new "affiliations." Not one of them actually introduced a new affiliation. Four of the five did give players a new way to play different selections of personnel from existing affiliations. Thieves... I'm not sure why they made the list, since they really just got some support cards. The last actual new affiliation was Starfleet in To Boldly Go in 2006. Essentially, you're arguing that the CC hasn't done a great job when taking half-measures and creating pseudo-affiliations. Your argument leads me to believe we'd be better off taking the bold route and making a new affiliation rather than trying to work potential new affiliation in as non-aligned or even non-personnel.

Anytime a discussion arises about new affiliations, we eventually get around to the "innovative mechanic" requirement. It's bunk. New affiliations don't need new mechanics, they need to care about something in a unique way. Suppose, for example, Vidiians had Assault cards which start combat, but instead of scoring points or simply killing your personnel they gained skills and attributes (representing harvesting organs). Assault, combat, gaining skills and attributes are all existing mechanics, but currently nobody does it that way.

Nerdopolis Prime wrote:
Personally, I think a new affiliation could be interesting. But it should be a bigger set then. No way you could squeeze in Hirogen with a 45 cards set.

I think Starfleet makes the best comparison, because they were introduced with no prior support. All other affiliations at least had missions with their affiliation icon prior to releasing. Of To Boldly Go's 120 cards, 43 bear the [SF] icon in some form - 2 equipment, 6 events, 2 interrupts, 1 HQ, 6 non-HQ missions, 22 Starfleet personnel and 4 Starfleet ships. Based on those numbers, we could squeeze a new affiliation into one expansion, but doing so would leave no room for anybody else, so I agree we'd want a larger expansion.

bhosp wrote:
You only know those guys because Decipher put them on 1E cards.

I only know Akorem Laan, Korinas, Ikat'ika, Maihar'du and Mendak because Decipher put them on 2E cards. I mean, I remember the guy the prophets brought to the present, the Obisian Order lady who denied having a fleet, the Jem'hadar who beat up Worf, the guy who followed around the Nagus and the Romulan who revealed they had an ambassador mole, but I wouldn't remember one of their names. Likewise I might not remember a lot of Hirogen names, but I remember that time they took over Voyager and hunted everybody in the holodecks, and I remember that giant dude who captured Tuvok and Seven, and I remember they went hunting a Species 8472 being.

_________________
"Save your strength. There'll be another time. The princess - you have to take care of her. You hear me?" -Han Solo to Chewbacca, ESB


Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:37 pm
Profile
Ambassador
Ambassador



User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:31 pm
Posts: 2529
Location: Kassel, Germany
Region: Vandros IV
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
GooeyChewie wrote:
bhosp wrote:
You only know those guys because Decipher put them on 1E cards.

I only know Akorem Laan, Korinas, Ikat'ika, Maihar'du and Mendak because Decipher put them on 2E cards.

A few people have made this argument so I'm taking yours as a representative to respond to.
Your right of course but your missing the point. The point is all those names you named aren't the "face" of the affilation. Those affilations have star power.
Of course there aren't affilations that consist of stars only. Everybody needs supporting characters.
Our point is that [Vid] [Kaz] [Hir] consist of only supporting characters. They're "faceless" affilations, if you will.

_________________
Make sure to keep on top of what's going on in Organized Play in Europe

@BLiebich Another round of Ascendancy and the Cardies are taking over. https://t.co/EscyBydEVe


Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:56 pm
Profile
Gamma Quadrant



User avatar

Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 1:51 pm
Posts: 6584
Location: Cambridge, UK
Region: Omarion Nebula
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
monty42 wrote:
Our point is that [Vid] [Kaz] [Hir] consist of only supporting characters. They're "faceless" affilations, if you will.

Well said :thumbsup:

_________________
A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about. ~ MIGUEL DE UNAMUNO (1864-1936)

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. ~ HERMAN MELVILLE (1819-1891)


Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:09 pm
Profile
Alpha Quadrant

Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:53 pm
Posts: 62
Post Re: Coming Soon to 2E
If all the [Hir] [Kaz] [Vid] personnel are "supporting" characters, so what!?! If their affiliation brings some flavor to the game for anyone, winner! Somebody is playing that might not have or continuing because that was "their" favorite series or episode or like me enjoyed playing them in 1E. I get and agree with Gooey, if we can get the affiliation to "care" about the game in "their" unique way, be it a new mechanic or "their" slant on something that already exist, again winner! The same could be said for using a "new" mechanic with an existing affiliation, winner! We keep playing and exploring. that is the way of the Trek! Wisdom of the DOJO! Sorry Boss K ! All respects intended!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:


Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:16 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Boffo97 and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Terms of Use

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group.
Designed by Vjacheslav Trushkin for Free Forums/DivisionCore.