Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Ok, updates just in case anyone is/was hoping to join the stream since I didn't take into account Daylight Savings when scheduling (in addition to just being bad at time zones and dates):

I am re-scheduling the stream to begin at 10:30 PM PST tonight (Tuesday night in the US, Wednesday day for the rest of the World). This will make live watching difficult for most of the US. I will record the stream as well, so it will be available to watch later. Sorry for the confusion!
Last edited by Naetor on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
So from our game, and just reflecting some more on slipstream. A lot of stuff gets stronger:

Necessary Execution
Neural Parasites.
Insurrection
Chula, obvs.
Crippling Strike - couldn't bring myself to play this in an exhibition game
Anything to take out Chula:
- fakeout attempts to bait
- Stakoron
- Self-Replicating Roadbloack

On battle: Harried and Harassed is cool for getting there without using range but sometimes you need the dilemma points more. And sometimes you can just fly to the right place on your own turn.

Finally, on time: we had a disconnect and because of that our game was almost an hour. Maybe online makes it slower? I think it probably could've ended 20 points to 10 in Nate's favour. But still I think this is much better viewing than a 90 minute full game.

I think we got a good game in for our 50 points. Dilemma slip-ups are easy, and unstop all cards must be crazy good, either of those could've ended the game without anything really happening.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Fun game.

With respect to time, online games tend to be given a longer duration. Also, I was more chatty than I might have been for the TV, and you were kind enough to pretend to listen. :)

I like your point about, let's see how the meta evolves. After our game I can definitely see Self-replicating Roadblock become a strong card. I'd consider going with Inversion Mystery. I think it could be balanced with few, minor rules additions.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
I was thinking about how to "balance" the format a little better. One potential solution (alluded to in the stream) could be that every Slipstream deck uses a Slipstream mission that posts the rules, while indirectly taking up a mission slot to limit the number of meta missions playable (yet still make Crom, for example playable).

Plus a few rule additions that change little in the game, but limit some abusive strategies:
1) Dilemma piles can have at most 1 copy of a dilemma
2) A staffed ship is an additional requirement to win the game.

So each Slipstream deck would play with a card that looks like this:

[D] Slipstream Mission
0 points, 3 span, no affiliation icons
Gametext:
Slipstream rules: Players may include no more than 1 copy of a dilemma in their dilemma pile. To win the game, a player must have have completed a mission, score 50 points, and command a staffed ship. (ban list could be here, alternatively).
At the start of your first turn, choose a quadrant, space or planet, and skill and attribute requirement. This mission gains those characteristics. You cannot attempt this mission.

By Hobie (Robert Petersen)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Just have to say that I watched the game over the weekend and found it very enjoyable. As some who does not play a lot of 2E it is helpful to learn by watching someone play and work through their decision making while seeing the cards at the same time.

Thanks Nate!

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Hobie wrote:Just have to say that I watched the game over the weekend and found it very enjoyable. As some who does not play a lot of 2E it is helpful to learn by watching someone play and work through their decision making while seeing the cards at the same time.

Thanks Nate!
Glad you like it!

I'm always looking for opponents for a causal game stream US weekday evenings. Send me a message if you'd like to play.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
Hobie wrote:Just have to say that I watched the game over the weekend and found it very enjoyable. As some who does not play a lot of 2E it is helpful to learn by watching someone play and work through their decision making while seeing the cards at the same time.

Thanks Nate!
Just watch out, some of the reasoning on the other end of the call was flat out wrong. :shifty:
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Fritzinger wrote:
Latok wrote:1 copy of a dilemma seems like a smart rule for the format.
Interesting. Does that kill theme decks that rely on a particular dilemma, e.g. Unsound Logic?
Maybe but I think slipstream changes so much already I don't think it'd be that big of a deal and it'd avoid some potential NPEs.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Latok wrote:
Fritzinger wrote:
Latok wrote:1 copy of a dilemma seems like a smart rule for the format.
Interesting. Does that kill theme decks that rely on a particular dilemma, e.g. Unsound Logic?
Maybe but I think slipstream changes so much already I don't think it'd be that big of a deal and it'd avoid some potential NPEs.
It is a proposal due to the imbalance introduced due by the ratios of missions needed to win, and subsequently maximum number of dilemmas you will face, compared to the dilemma card limit. Normal games it is 3 missions to win: 3 dilemmas. In slipstream, currently, this is 1-2:3. Combined with the fact you could go with a 20 size deck in this format, it makes many strategies kind of abusive. Most strong dilemmas "balance out" by being overcome. Facing 3 at your lone mission makes them psuedo-infinite (at least over a 30 minute game).

Slipstream can be a cool, quick format. No reason to make it wall city.

Danny gets the FW against Tjark - 100 - 35 Good t[…]

Back from the old days, pre-errata Visit Cochrane[…]

@VictoryIsLife FW @jadziadax8 100-0

2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]