Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:cheersL: :cheersL: :cheersL: :cheersL: :cheersL:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Looking sweet, edge.

Tell us how it went please.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
Ended up doing 5 demos, got 3 email addresses to add to the local group's event planning list, and handed out a whole bunch of "Business Cards". I won't be spending any other whole days demoing, but I'll probably set up shop for an hour or two here or there over the next few days.
Fritzinger wrote:Sweet playmats. Are those from a previous year?
Yeah, those are the 2017 and 2018 PAX playmats. The one from this year has a weird slime theme, probably not going to grab it.
Ambassador
 - Ambassador
 -  
edgeofhearing wrote:Ended up doing 5 demos, got 3 email addresses to add to the local group's event planning list, and handed out a whole bunch of "Business Cards". I won't be spending any other whole days demoing, but I'll probably set up shop for an hour or two here or there over the next few days.
did you have to pay for the demo spot?

By Connor (Connor Corbett)
 - Alpha Quadrant
 -  
A magic player at PAX was banned from the event for being a sexual harraser. Don't throw that term around lightly just because my dad makes you mad.
Second Edition Art Manager
By edgeofhearing (Lucas Thompson)
 - Second Edition Art Manager
 -  
Community Contributor
PAX Post-Mortem

Demos

- I didn't take my demo stuff on Saturday and Sunday, so I capped out at 9 demos at the show. However, I did 2 more for friends of friends outside of the show - they knew I played this dumb game, but they became more curious when they realized how dedicated I was to evangelizing on its behalf.
- Many of the demos at the show were entire games. Several times people would tell me that they had something to do next, so they couldn't stay for a full game - but then, when I got to the first natural break point (after the second attempt at the same mission, to demonstrate how the "overcome" mechanic works), they'd often want to keep going.
- I started out sticking to Klingons for the new player, because they are the simplest of my demo decks. Everyone just wants to play TNG Fed though, so eventually I'd just set that up.
- Eventually I started pre-arranging an opening hand with one of each (non-equipment) card type, that worked quite well (and guaranteed I'd be able to explain things like downloading, "your core", and how to play an interrupt against that Rogue Borg Ambush I used on them).
- I have my demo decks in penny sleeves so that I can give them away more cheaply, but boy did I regret not having the dilemma piles color coded for clean up, especially when someone would be "helpful" and start putting the dilemmas from under their missions in their dilemma pile for clean-up.
- Next year, I think I'll use Thursday to enjoy PAX myself, since it was the lowest traffic day, and plan on demoing all day on a busy day like Saturday. Friday's demo-per-hour was much higher than Thursday too, which is what I mean by "accidental" demos. I'd just set up while my wife was in the Merch line, figuring I'd see if anyone came by while I was waiting, and ended up doing 4 rapid-fire demos.

Non-Demo Trek Activity

- Plenty of people were happy to just reminisce about the game. Actually, one guy, who used to play during the Decipher days in Slovakia and recognized Vlad Vrbata's name, started off by reminiscing and then just couldn't help himself and wanted to play a game.
- I gave out a bunch of the Picard, Genial Captain promos. I'd glued up a bunch a while ago, but printed off some more just in case. I didn't have time to glue the more recent batch though, so I just put them in penny sleeves with junk commons - that actually proved to be a popular means of distribution though. It allowed me to quickly demonstrate how the game can be printed, and people were tickled to be able to see the card underneath too.
- Actually, when I'd show that the cards aren't glued halfway through a demo, people would often be quite surprised that they'd been playing with all-home-printed cards the entire time.

Demo Deck Playtest Thoughts

- I got a chance to see the TNG, DS9, Borg, and Klingon demo decks in action, though most commonly used were TNG and Klingons.
- Starting off, it really felt like the Klingons were at a severe disadvantage, since I would have to avoid putting the four auto-stop dilemmas in the pile (2x In Development, 2x Intimidation) into the stack against newbies. It became clear, once I switched to the TNG deck in the newbie's hands, that they really are pretty equal, it's just that I know how to play the game.
- It was good to have identical piles, since it helped the new players get familiar with the dilemmas that they draw by facing them themselves. I am sorely tempted to give myself some sort of garbage pile for demos though, just so that I don't have to hold back as much.
- The demo decks need some sort of anti-megateam dilemma, but Setting the Stage sure isn't it. Even the type of newbie that actually reads the dilemmas before throwing them into the stack would have no idea what Setting does, and they'd often just throw it in to find out. I'll need to switch back to something like Mark of Gideon.

Bottom Line

- Demoing at a big con was fun, I got more traffic than I expected, and I got to play a lot of trek.

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
This is awesome.
Second Edition Balance Manager
 - Second Edition Balance Manager
 -  
  Trek Masters  Participant 2024
Sounds like you had fun and spread the gospel. Awesome! Hope we all can be as prepared and willing to do this thorough a job when the game calls us to be its' ambassadors! Edgeofhearing for the Spock "Ambassador to Romulus" award :cheersL:

If y’all still want to get things brewing in[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

@winterflames Do you still have this event goin[…]

Make It So does NOT unstop the crew aboard a shi[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I won't be available Saturday the 27th. Have other[…]