Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
To bring out several conversations that I've had over the pat couple of months, how many ships do you stock in your deck? I know that you have more than one copy of a ship, but how many different ones do you typically run? If I damage your ship sufficiently and continually, do you have a backup? Please make special mention of no HQ decks such as Voyager, Khan and Relativity.

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
Since I like to play Voyager/Relativity, I usually just have the one ship. Sometimes the Voyager decks will add a Delta Flyer for attempting, but still SOL against a battle deck since you can't report to the Flyer. Same with the Wells, you can't report to it; even if you have 12 personnel out, a couple of those likely won't have staffing.

For normal HQ decks, I usually have about 3 different ship names in the deck. In those decks, the issue (for me) usually tends to be all the personnel that get killed in the process of the ship getting destroyed (and sometimes those decks use kill piles to help).
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
I usually go with 10 or 12 percent ships. I wouldn't normally stock more than one copy of a unique ship unless it was a critical component of my deck design. It's too easy to get burned having only one unique ship in the game, even if you have multiple copies. If you can't report to it and get destaffed, game over.
Second Edition Rules Master
By Latok
 - Second Edition Rules Master
 -  
1E Australian Continental Champion 2019
2E Australian Continental Runner-Up 2019
Like Marquetry said having one ship(ish) in the no-HQ decks is fairly standard, especially Relativity and obviously Khan. Usually I have a little less than T-Ricks with around 9 or 10% of cards being ships in my decks, though I often have other ways of getting them eg. Tacking Into the Wind.

I see no reason to run only a single ship outside of Relativity/Khan because it's not really battle protection it's for movement, even if you're using 2 span space missions if you get hit by a Gomtuu Shock Wave, Greater Needs, Crippling Strike, just have a second ship.

While on the topic I think the U.S.S. Wells is probably one of the worst cards in the game again as Marquetry said you'd need 12 personnel(with staffing, so no Revised ...) out to really use it and it doesn't give you anything, no better Range, it doesn't have a high cost with a reduction, no actual ability.

By Nerdopolis Prime (Nerdopolis Prime)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1 ship out of 12 cards unless I go for battling. That "1" ship could also be something that can download me a ship. A minimum of 2 ships per deck.

By Naetor
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
You should always play at least 2 ships (assuming unique). Otherwise, when -- not if -- you get destaffed/stuck, you will not immediately lose. If you are trying to figure out a good minimum, start with 3 copies of Christening and work your way down. In general, I feel cards that can download you ships are greatly underrated.

By Cmdr Xym (Joseph Bazemore)
 - Beta Quadrant
 -  
Naetor wrote:You should always play at least 2 ships (assuming unique). Otherwise, when -- not if -- you get destaffed/stuck, you will not immediately lose. If you are trying to figure out a good minimum, start with 3 copies of Christening and work your way down. In general, I feel cards that can download you ships are greatly underrated.
Seriously...12% of your deck being devoted to ships is ridiculous when we have Christening (and other things).

By Armus (Brian Sykes)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
Regent
Community Contributor
I've always gone by the metric of "ship or ship equivalent" which includes actual ships plus other cards that give me access to a ship.

I think the fewest actual ships I've ever run was 2, in a Romulan deck back in the day, but I also ran 2 copies of Cretak and rarely had a problem getting a ship out in a reasonable period of time.
Ambassador
By T-Ricks (Rick Kinney)
 - Ambassador
 -  
Cmdr Xym wrote:
Naetor wrote:You should always play at least 2 ships (assuming unique). Otherwise, when -- not if -- you get destaffed/stuck, you will not immediately lose. If you are trying to figure out a good minimum, start with 3 copies of Christening and work your way down. In general, I feel cards that can download you ships are greatly underrated.
Seriously...12% of your deck being devoted to ships is ridiculous when we have Christening (and other things).
I included "other ways" to get a ship in my percentage. It's not necessarily all ships per se.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Armus wrote:I've always gone by the metric of "ship or ship equivalent" which includes actual ships plus other cards that give me access to a ship.
Same here. :thumbsup:
2024 1E Michigan Regional

If there's interest I can run & play 2E after.[…]

NE Oklahoma, SE Kansas?

Awww, shucks! Glad you’re in a bigger area.[…]

I didn't want to knock anyone's choice while votin[…]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Happy birthday to @Stefan Manz !