Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
Last winter, with the release of Shattered Mirror, the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance became a stand along faction with a Headquarters, support cards and a whole lot of swag. There was a section in the Affiliation HQ and everything.

Looking ahead to the Terra prime faction, internal discussions seem to consider it more along the lines of the sub-HQs, for lack of a better term. It has a bona fide HQ of its own, but functions is more of a subset of Earth, Humanity's Home in terms of cards that can report to it. Think more of Bajor, Blessed by the Prophets. There's a restriction on the cards you can play there, but you get a benefit if you do so. Don't worry, there's a lot there to support this new faction.

What do you think about about these sub HQs? How are they conceptually? Which existing affiliations would you like to see use them in the future? Most importantly, what's your favorite and why?

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Faithful Reader wrote:What do you think about about these sub HQs?

I like them. From what's been said, it sounds like Terra Prime is to Starfleet as Equinox is to Voyager; there's probably going to be some crossover, but to get the best out of one, you can't really play the other.
Faithful Reader wrote:How are they conceptually? Which existing affiliations would you like to see use them in the future?
I like to see a standalone Smugglers and Thieves HQ. What's the Trek universe equivalent of Mos Eisley? Farius Prime?

EDIT: Ooh, and a Vulcan to play Vulcans to would also be nice.
Faithful Reader wrote:Most importantly, what's your favorite and why?
Probably Equinox - baked in game text counts for a lot.

While we're on the subject, any chance of a Hologram HQ icon popping up in the affiliation HQ page?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
Danny wrote:I like to see a standalone Smugglers and Thieves HQ.
+1

By nobthehobbit (Daniel Pareja)
 - The Center of the Galaxy
 -  
monty42 wrote:
+1
Maybe the game has changed enough that it could have this now, but didn't Caleb Grace pitch this as one of his World Champion design-a-card prizes, only for it to be rejected?

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
nobthehobbit wrote:
monty42 wrote:
+1
Maybe the game has changed enough that it could have this now, but didn't Caleb Grace pitch this as one of his World Champion design-a-card prizes, only for it to be rejected?
Wasn't that like 12 years ago?

-  
monty42 wrote: Wasn't that like 12 years ago?
It was. That's why I thought the game might have changed enough by now that such an HQ could be allowed.

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
nobthehobbit wrote:
It was. That's why I thought the game might have changed enough by now that such an HQ could be allowed.
To be fair, I don't think the game has changed that much. The people in charge have changed. More importantly though people's perception of the game has changed.

-  
monty42 wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
To be fair, I don't think the game has changed that much. The people in charge have changed. More importantly though people's perception of the game has changed.
One big issue I think would be affiliation-mingling, especially if it just allowed all Smugglers and Thieves. Probably also [NA] ships. That might be too permissive; restricting it to [NA] might be too restrictive.

(In addition to a whole whack of [NA] personnel, you'd have [Baj] , [Fer] , [Fed] [Voy] , [Fed] [TOS] , [Dom] , [Fer] [TN] , [Kli] , [Car] , [NA] [Maq] , and [Rom] .)

- Delta Quadrant
 -  
Chancellor
nobthehobbit wrote:One big issue I think would be affiliation-mingling, especially if it just allowed all Smugglers and Thieves. Probably also [NA] ships. That might be too permissive; restricting it to [NA] might be too restrictive.

(In addition to a whole whack of [NA] personnel, you'd have [Baj] , [Fer] , [Fed] [Voy] , [Fed] [TOS] , [Dom] , [Fer] [TN] , [Kli] , [Car] , [NA] [Maq] , and [Rom] .)
Counter point, that might just make it good. Let design and playtesting handle the technicalities.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
nobthehobbit wrote:One big issue I think would be affiliation-mingling, especially if it just allowed all Smugglers and Thieves. Probably also [NA] ships. That might be too permissive; restricting it to [NA] might be too restrictive.

It might not be all that bad. Thieves have access to those affiliations, but Ferengi aside, it's just a couple here and there. Think how Rainbow DS9 is with Cardassian/Klingon/Romulan, but for six affiliations. Hmm, Thief decks aren't too hot. Would such a card make you want to play a deck? What about other carrots/grease?

Smugglers are already a thing. How well would they do with Thieves?

By Jono (Sean O'Reilly)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
Pioneer
Should be a [NA] headquarters that gives a bonus to a Thief or Smuggler. We don’t need other affiliations barging in on this one. Just a nice Orion Syndicate headquarters.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Faithful Reader wrote:Smugglers are already a thing. How well would they do with Thieves?
Pretty well, I think; there are already some cards that treat them similarly (JLP Galen, the Barfly, Soft Sell), so there's some overlap and synergy.
Jono wrote:Should be a [NA] headquarters that gives a bonus to a Thief or Smuggler. We don’t need other affiliations barging in on this one. Just a nice Orion Syndicate headquarters.
More bodies are always nice. The HQ could take a cue from Mirror Bajor, and read
Each Smuggler personnel and Thief personnel you own becomes [NA].

By Marquetry
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
That would also help prevent odd cards from being used in the deck (that aren't intended)... sounds fun!
StateofSTCCG, who is currently listed as a forum troll [unconstructive and disruptive behavior], made this post. Responding to forum trolls is discouraged.
Display this post.

- Beta Quadrant
 -  
Why not just make some new HQ's with [Vid] [Vul] [Hir] ? You guys already make how many different copies of each show's bridge crew how many different times? Sorry but to me it's very boring. The game needs something spicy. :twocents:
Last edited by StateofSTCCG on Mon May 06, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)[…]

MN 2024 Gatherings

I'll not make the 27th, unfortunately. I've pencil[…]

I get the MW 80-70....good game.

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]