Discuss all of your questions, concerns, comments and ideas about Second Edition.
Second Edition Playtest Manager
By Faithful Reader (Ross Fertel)
 - Second Edition Playtest Manager
 -  
Continuing Committee Member - Retired
This is the designer Q & A Thread for A Less Perfect Union. Ask your questions about the set and they'll make every effort to answer them. Keep things on topic or risk being sent to the corner.

You design team:
John 'Killerb' Corbett
Ben 'bhosp' Hosp
Nathan 'gooeychewie' Miracle
Lucas 'edgeofhearing' Thompson
Executive Officer
By jadziadax8 (Maggie Geppert)
 - Executive Officer
 -  
The Traveler
2E North American Continental Semi-Finalist 2023
ibbles  Trek Masters Tribbles Champion 2023
What do you guys think about having *redacted* as the release promo?

It's looking pretty good sitting on my kitchen table right now. :shifty:

I myself am curious what it is.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
Loving the new (to 2E) mechanic of flipping missions (Luna becoming Mars), however as it doesn't specify anything on the card, is there something being added to the rules to prevent me from starting with Mars face up?

By monty42 (Benjamin Liebich)
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
2E World Quarter-Finalist 2023
Chancellor
2E European Continental Runner-Up 2023
2E German National Champion 2022
I have a question for Corbett, oh wait...

Post it here. We'll see if we can get the information out. - Ross

By Kaiser
 - Delta Quadrant
 -  
1E World Semi-Finalist 2023
Architect
Looking at the gametext of Mars ("a Region: Sector 001" mission, not "your"), was this a deliberate decision to hit decks that play from an Earth, like TNG or TOS?

And to echo what Danny said, please clarify how the double-sided card works from a rules perspective as soon as possible. Looking at Mars on its own, it's not even clear that this isn't just a regular card; compare to double-sided cards in 1E, which, iirc, all somehow refer to "flipping" this card on both of their sides. With the card published on the website and no further information about it, what's to prevent a player from just starting with Mars? That's one of the cases where I think a clear, unambiguous article that is available at the same time the card is posted would be the better way to go. If you break new ground (which I appreciate, I like the concept a lot!), leave as little room for interpretation as possible, and don't rely on people to gather necessary information from threads like this one ;) .

There will be more information forthcoming (apologies) but the mark in the collectors information of Mars indicates that you can't start out with it in play.

There's a bit more, but that's the big one; you cant start with Mars. You have to start with Luna and flip to Mars. Though then you can't play Homicidal Expedient

- Ross

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
Danny wrote:Loving the new (to 2E) mechanic of flipping missions (Luna becoming Mars), however as it doesn't specify anything on the card, is there something being added to the rules to prevent me from starting with Mars face up?
Yes, the rules are being updated (and said update should be on the front page sometime today) to detail how two-sided missions work in 2E. Short version: A lot like 1E. The two sides will have the same collector's info, with the back including a *.

Luna/Mars is the only two-sided mission in this expansion, but the rules have been written in such a way as to give us flexibility in creating more in the future, if this one is well-received.

By Danny (Daniel Giddings)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
2E British National Runner-Up 2021
GooeyChewie wrote:Yes, the rules are being updated (and said update should be on the front page sometime today) to detail how two-sided missions work in 2E. Short version: A lot like 1E.
I thought something like that had to be the case, especially given the massive change in text that appeared between one of the penultimate proofs and the final version. Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Kaiser wrote:Looking at the gametext of Mars ("a Region: Sector 001" mission, not "your"), was this a deliberate decision to hit decks that play from an Earth, like TNG or TOS?
Yes. Obviously Terra Prime hates the Federation.
Kaiser wrote: better way to go. If you break new ground (which I appreciate, I like the concept a lot!), leave as little room for interpretation as possible, and don't rely on people to gather necessary information from threads like this one ;) .
We paid the Iron Price to get this new ground broken. You’re welcome.

There were a lot more words and less ambiguity on both sides of that card when I first wrote them, before other departments got involved.
Director of Organized Play
By LORE (Kris Sonsteby)
 - Director of Organized Play
 -  
Prophet
W.C.T. Chairman's Trophy winner 2014-2015
Have I missed it or where is the article discussing what the theme(s) of this set are? Racist Starfleet is an extremely offensive subtheme for an expansion, and I am curious if there is anything else in this set to keep the 2E crowd interested in the game.

By bhosp
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
LORE wrote:Have I missed it or where is the article discussing what the theme(s) of this set are? Racist Starfleet is an extremely offensive subtheme for an expansion, and I am curious if there is anything else in this set to keep the 2E crowd interested in the game.
The theme of this expansion is John making a set on his way out that has everything he hates in it:

Starfleet!
Hero cards!
Almost a new card type!
A damn *team*, of all things!

If the story content upsets you, good! The only reason “Demons/Terra Prime” are two of my favorite episodes of Star Trek instead of the dumb schlock that they objectively are is that the story hits *real* close to home these days.

By GooeyChewie (Nathan Miracle)
 - Gamma Quadrant
 -  
Architect
LORE wrote:Have I missed it or where is the article discussing what the theme(s) of this set are? Racist Starfleet is an extremely offensive subtheme for an expansion, and I am curious if there is anything else in this set to keep the 2E crowd interested in the game.
There should be an article going up later today. In addition to the xenophobic Starfleet Dissidents, the expansion will include popular personnel who have yet to be introduced into 2E, similar to Hawk. We tried to hit a wide cross-section of affiliations and subaffiliations.
bhosp wrote:There were a lot more words and less ambiguity on both sides of that card when I first wrote them, before other departments got involved.
I will agree there were more words. I'm not sure I agree about there being less ambiguity.
Director of Communications
By OKCoyote (Daniel Matteson)
 - Director of Communications
 -  
1E North American Continental Quarter-Finalist 2023
The announcement article was submitted late and needs editing. I'm working on it now and will have it out within the hour.

EDIT: It's up.
Last edited by OKCoyote on Wed May 15, 2019 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Is Sedis a captain?

He's already a [Univ] fucking skill hoss (tm)... […]

I don't! Game ain't fun, IMO! But, you're rig[…]

Alpha Argratha

If I have Alpha 5 Approach plus Argratha as […]

Nelvana Trap

Wait ... what? Since when does battle during […]